To be or not to be a doc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted861279

To give a little bit of background, My family is living near minimum wage. I have 5 siblings. I currently go to a top 5 public college with a 3.6+ GPA; I am Hispanic and the first in my family to attend college. I hope to go to medical school in the future.

I have two motivations to attend medical school:
    1) To earn enough money to provide for my family. (Main motivation)

2) To help others.

While I love helping others, my attraction toward medicine is that I'll be making enough money to support my family. I can't find any other jobs that are as (financially) rewarding as medicine.

Am I making the right decision?

miniman

No mountain too high to climb.
    2+ Year Member
    Nov 9, 2015
    Mars, Solar System Near You
    1. Pre-Medical
      Look at the financial stats... medicine sucks... sure you are getting a lot of money, but in reality, you are simply not going to make the same amount as one who has started their career earlier and has done successfully... (Besides the nice hospitals that may give you 'sweet' deals on malpractice insurance. Yeah right, you will still be paying through the nose...) Consider the fact that on average you will still lose about 2k on your first year making money out of med school in residency... how is that a wise choice money wise? As I wrote in another place (HS SDN)

"Being a premed is hard. It feels like it will never end, and when it does you only have a 40% chance of you entering school. You spend hundreds if not thousands of hours volunteering, researching, shadowing and studying. You do this when your friends are having fun going to the beach, playing video games, going on vacation, and just relaxing. You do this when you don't feel like doing it. You do this in the early morning and late into the night. You spend time on the MCAT, the GPA.... the letters, the numbers.... You go to clubs, you work, you are a leader, you are a teacher, you are a researcher, you are a student, you are helping.... and at the end of the day, you are tired. People don't get why you can't just go out and have some fun. They don't get what it takes to be a doctor. They see how hard it is as a pre-med and quickly label you "teacher's pet," "OCD," "Nerd," and other lascivious names.

You tell yourself day in day out that this is what you want to do. You tell yourself that they will see you later and be amazed at all that you have done. But, you read how the heath care system is failing. You see that there is no end to the pitfalls, the governmental nonsense, and all this leads to a 51% rate of physician dissatisfaction with their job.

Being a physician is not a simple calling. It is a moral step. It is the volunteering of yourself for others. It is responding to a call you heard. Perpahs it was when you landed in the hospital yourself, or perhaps it was an odd twist of fate that you ended up on this long, winding pathway. Perhaps it was a teacher, a friend, or a co-worker.

All I can say to you all is congrats, you made the dumbest, longest lasting, most financial stupid, emotionally taxing, least family friendly, morally difficult and, and most unhealthy choice you could have. However, you knew that you knew that you knew you wanted to do this. YOU knew that there was only one calling that could suffice the burning feeling in your heart. You knew that there was nothing you could do that would satisfy this need in you. You couldn't be a nurse, a PA, a dentist, a podiatrist, lawyer, businessman, or teacher. You needed to be a doctor. You needed to put theses hours in to do this.

It is at the point of breaking. When the long nights, early mornings, the stress, the worry, the tiredness, the anxiety, becomes too much... when you had enough, and you want to quit... don't. People burn out and don't take a chance. Take your time, breath...."

So yeah do you want to be a doctor? Because if you think any amount of money will make you happy enough to do this job, you are so wrong. Look deep inside of you. Find what makes you burn... is it seeing the suffering of children in malnourished countries, or is it seeing poorly handed funds that could be make more efficient, or is it seeing how you really enjoy working in a restaurant seeing people smile when they get their food?

You are brave to ask your question, be brave to listen to yourself and do what is in your best interest. Honestly, we don't need another burned out doctor, we need truly happy, helping doctors out there...

BTW- Doctors make more money than you need to live on. So, figure out what you NEED vs WANT, and begin to paint a rough picture of what you want to do.

Reactions: 3 users
      About the Ads

liquidsodium

2+ Year Member
      Jul 18, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        I'm sure there are lots of people who enter medicine primarily for money, and you have a big family to care for. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you've had enough exposure to the field to know you don't mind the work. It's too long a path to endure just for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

longhaul3

5+ Year Member
        Feb 29, 2016
          You would not be the first to go into medicine because of the pay and job security. People like to say that you can make more money elsewhere without the trouble of med school, but to be honest medicine is probably your best bet given your background; it is more merit-based than the networking-heavy, blue-blooded culture of finance or consulting, where you don't often see Hispanic first-generation college students.

The path to becoming a doctor is highly dramatized on these forums, mostly by pre-meds who haven't even graduated college yet. You do not have to be a martyr to become a doctor. Yes, it's difficult, but every doctor has gone through it (and there are a lot of doctors out there—way more than there are selfless martyrs). The rewards are rich; there's no reason not to approach this decision by weighing the pros and cons the same way you would any other.

Reactions: 10 users

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
          Jan 21, 2012
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Look at the financial stats... medicine sucks...

In the current financial climate where 57% of Americans couldn't absorb an unexpected $500 expense the idea that going into medicine is a net financial loss rings hollow.

Honestly I strongly disagree with most of what you wrote.

Reactions: 9 users

typhoonegator

Neurointensivist
            Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            Dec 22, 2006
            Boston
            1. Attending Physician
              LOL, it's not that bad. Perspective comes with time. As a doctor, you can make a very decent salary and you have a lot of control of how busy you are through your choice of specialty and your scope of practice. Residency is very temporary in the grand scheme, and there are armies of associate consultants at big law firms and consulting groups working just as hard for only slightly more money and a very uncertain future. There are "easier" paths to $200K+ per year, but there are downsides to those paths as well and those are generally neglected on this forum. People become doctors for all sorts of reasons, and from my experience only a subset is wholly motivated by altruism and service. Personally, I think that most people who are unhappy as physicians would be unhappy in a whole host of professions.

Reactions: 6 users

Skydive Fox

Head Pilot, Star Fox Command
              2+ Year Member
              Feb 20, 2016
              1. Medical Student
                As I wrote in another place (HS SDN)
                Lol this seems maybe a little bit overdramatic. Sure, it's difficult and you need the right motivation (not just money) to keep you going, but it's not like you have to sacrifice your entire social life, neglect your wellbeing, study 24/7, and chop your gonads off to become a doctor and have a satisfying career.

Reactions: 4 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
                10+ Year Member
                Verified Expert
                Jun 11, 2010
                Somewhere west of St. Louis
                1. Non-Student
                  Kid, making money is the baseline for anyone entering Medicine.

But you can find other lucrative jobs that don't require spending 10+ years of your life as an adult learner. It's easier to be an NP or a PA, for example. Hell, drive a truck. I know big rig drivers who make bank.

To give a little bit of background, My family is living near minimum wage. I have 5 siblings. I currently go to a top 5 public college with a 3.6+ GPA; I am Hispanic and the first in my family to attend college. I hope to go to medical school in the future.

2) To help others.

While I love helping others, my attraction toward medicine is that I'll be making enough money to support my family. I can't find any other jobs that are as (financially) rewarding as medicine.

Reactions: 1 user

miniman

2+ Year Member
                  Nov 9, 2015
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Is it over dramatic? Wow, tell that to all the SDNers that say people don't get what I am going through. Tell that to the people who have PMed me to talk... because their social life sucks and they cry themselves to sleep. Tell that to the people that stress over their 3.7x GPA or those who just have a bad class. Did I say this is a holy creed for all? No. Did I say that I was a martyr? No. What I said was it's harder than you think. It's ****tier than you can imagine. You do this because you have a dream. A dream of spending all this time to help people.

So is that dramatic? No that's reality. Go talk to those who volunteer as doctors or those who treat hospice patients. It isn't all fun and games being a doctor. You can't always just walk away from your studies. ( Did I say never can you ever have fun? No.)

Did I say you will forever take a net loss? No, the lifetime income of a doctor is in the 3-5 million range... as a PC... more if you are in a specialty.

Please keep what I say in perspective. Don't blow what I said up to high heavens and put words that I didn't say in there.

Last edited:

longhaul3

5+ Year Member
                    Feb 29, 2016
                      Is it over dramatic? Wow, tell that to all the SDNers that say people don't get what I am going through. Tell that to the people who have PMed me to talk... because their social life sucks and they cry themselves to sleep. Tell that to the people that stress over their 3.7x GPA or those who just have a bad class. Did I say this is a holy creed for all? No. Did I say that I was a martyr? No. What I said was it's harder than you think. It's ****tier than you can imagine. You do this because you have a dream. A dream of spending all this time to help people.

So is that dramatic? No that's reality. Go talk to those who volunteer as doctors or those who treat hospice patients. It isn't all fun and games being a doctor. You can't always just walk away from your studies. ( Did I say never can you ever have fun? No.)

Did I say you will forever take a net loss? No, the lifetime income of a doctor is in the 3-5 million range... as a PC... more if you are in a specialty.

Please keep what I say in perspective. Don't blow what I said up to high heavens and put words that I didn't say in there.
                      We are keeping what you say in perspective by remembering that you are still a college student. It may be harder than you thought or worse than you imagined, but the fact remains that you don't have to be a one-in-a-million type to become a doctor. Lots of doctors don't have "a dream of spending all this time to help people" but they made it through without sacrificing their personal lives (as pre-meds; save it for residency) and crying themselves to sleep.

You also said that it is not a wise choice money-wise, but many disagree with you. Becoming a doctor is one of few ways for a first-generation college student from a minimum-wage background to climb into the (upper) middle class, and it's probably the surest bet. As one of the previous posters said, there are other jobs that will get you to a $200k+ salary more quickly, but they come with less job security and more susceptibility to the whims of bosses and the economic climate.

Reactions: 5 users

Wjldenver

7+ Year Member
                      Mar 25, 2013
                      Denver, Colorado
                      1. Non-Student

2) To help others.

If you are looking for a rapid ROI, and can get a score >90% percentile on the GMAT, you will come out ahead by attending a top 10 MBA program. Under this scenario, you will have two less years of tuition expense and no low paying residency for 3 or 4 years. MBA's from the top 10 schools are getting offers at least in the $120K (Base) range with bonuses which average at least $20K per year. These are starting salaries with a lot of upside potential. In the management consulting arena where I work, top MBA's are getting starting offers at $150K+ (Base) with annual bonuses >$20K.

Why The MBA Beats The MD & The JD

Note: With that information in hand, my son chose to attend medical school anyway. It is a personal decision which is not always about a rapid ROI.

Last edited:
                        About the Ads

calivianya

2+ Year Member
                      • Jun 26, 2017
                        1. Medical Student (Accepted)
                          MD takes a long time to make any decent money. You make pennies during residency and fellowship, especially compared to the student loan debt you'll carry. You'll clearly get some need based aid, but I bet you'll still owe some, at least. 4 years MD + 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship, or so (lots of assumptions there) = 10+ years before you're making any decent money. Not to mention the years you spend on prereqs first, assuming you aren't already done. If you haven't gotten your prereqs done yet, you can tack at least 2 more years onto that number.

Are your people that need help still going to be alive, or still be dependents that need supporting, in 10+ years?

Sounds like an ugly question, I know. My perspective is that my mother is healthy and 69. My father is not healthy and 75. I'm keeping in mind that I very seriously doubt my father will even live to see me graduate med school itself, let alone finish up residency and fellowship. It sucks, but I'll never be able to help him if he needs help, and I know that. Going to med school literally shoots my ability to help anyone but myself in the foot, and I'm okay with that.

Ask yourself this: what happens if in three years or so, assuming you're in med school, the breadwinner in your house has a major MI? How are you going to feel being in school, having no money to send back, and watching your family members get the evicted and/or the electricity turned off because they can't pay the rent?

Pretty dramatic, but it's just something to think about. I'd say do something that will actually make money in the short term if you want to help your family, but that's just my $0.02.

raiderette

7+ Year Member
                          Feb 2, 2014
                          1. Medical Student
                            Get into the Career Center, use every resource that they have and take advantage of internships, alumni mentorship. You can make more money out of medicine if you can get into finance, consulting, various businesses, but it won't be as secure as medicine. If you have no love of medicine, find a living doing something else. Your reasons for wanting money are honorable, and if you get out in the world and still find medicine is best you will have time to pursue.

NotASerialKiller

5+ Year Member
                            Jul 7, 2015
                            1. Resident [Any Field]

What you wrote is over-dramatic because it implies that it is the usual experience of being pre-med, and it really isn't. Sure some people might feel that way, but there are also plenty of students in other programs who struggle with anxiety etc. and need top grades to keep their scholarships, enter other programs or even just because they're type-A. Yes there are some people in my class who probably felt that way about undergrad, but also many who were much more relaxed about it and had plenty of free time (and still do in the pre-clinical years).

You make it sound as if everyone else is drinking margaritas on the beach while pre-meds are forced to march through torture chambers to test their unwavering resolve. I'm sorry to hear that your college experience has been like that, but that's definitely not what every (or vast majority) pre-med goes through, and it seems like a poor idea to characterize it that way when talking to high schoolers.

Reactions: 6 users

bbbcccppp

May 12, 2017
                                MD takes a long time to make any decent money. You make pennies during residency and fellowship, especially compared to the student loan debt you'll carry. You'll clearly get some need based aid, but I bet you'll still owe some, at least. 4 years MD + 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship, or so (lots of assumptions there) = 10+ years before you're making any decent money. Not to mention the years you spend on prereqs first, assuming you aren't already done. If you haven't gotten your prereqs done yet, you can tack at least 2 more years onto that number.

Are your people that need help still going to be alive, or still be dependents that need supporting, in 10+ years?

Sounds like an ugly question, I know. My perspective is that my mother is healthy and 69. My father is not healthy and 75. I'm keeping in mind that I very seriously doubt my father will even live to see me graduate med school itself, let alone finish up residency and fellowship. It sucks, but I'll never be able to help him if he needs help, and I know that. Going to med school literally shoots my ability to help anyone but myself in the foot, and I'm okay with that.

Ask yourself this: what happens if in three years or so, assuming you're in med school, the breadwinner in your house has a major MI? How are you going to feel being in school, having no money to send back, and watching your family members get the evicted and/or the electricity turned off because they can't pay the rent?

Pretty dramatic, but it's just something to think about. I'd say do something that will actually make money in the short term if you want to help your family, but that's just my $0.02.

When your child appears independent and stable and directed that is supposed to be the reward itself. Not the degree or the money. Your good life should be your parents' wish.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FindMeOnTheLinks

7+ Year Member
                                Jan 25, 2014
                                1. Resident [Any Field]
                                  Look at the financial stats... medicine sucks... sure you are getting a lot of money, but in reality, you are simply not going to make the same amount as one who has started their career earlier and has done successfully... (Besides the nice hospitals that may give you 'sweet' deals on malpractice insurance. Yeah right, you will still be paying through the nose...) Consider the fact that on average you will still lose about 2k on your first year making money out of med school in residency... how is that a wise choice money wise? As I wrote in another place (HS SDN)

"Being a premed is hard. It feels like it will never end, and when it does you only have a 40% chance of you entering school. You spend hundreds if not thousands of hours volunteering, researching, shadowing and studying. You do this when your friends are having fun going to the beach, playing video games, going on vacation, and just relaxing. You do this when you don't feel like doing it. You do this in the early morning and late into the night. You spend time on the MCAT, the GPA.... the letters, the numbers.... You go to clubs, you work, you are a leader, you are a teacher, you are a researcher, you are a student, you are helping.... and at the end of the day, you are tired. People don't get why you can't just go out and have some fun. They don't get what it takes to be a doctor. They see how hard it is as a pre-med and quickly label you "teacher's pet," "OCD," "Nerd," and other lascivious names.

You tell yourself day in day out that this is what you want to do. You tell yourself that they will see you later and be amazed at all that you have done. But, you read how the heath care system is failing. You see that there is no end to the pitfalls, the governmental nonsense, and all this leads to a 51% rate of physician dissatisfaction with their job.

Being a physician is not a simple calling. It is a moral step. It is the volunteering of yourself for others. It is responding to a call you heard. Perpahs it was when you landed in the hospital yourself, or perhaps it was an odd twist of fate that you ended up on this long, winding pathway. Perhaps it was a teacher, a friend, or a co-worker.

All I can say to you all is congrats, you made the dumbest, longest lasting, most financial stupid, emotionally taxing, least family friendly, morally difficult and, and most unhealthy choice you could have. However, you knew that you knew that you knew you wanted to do this. YOU knew that there was only one calling that could suffice the burning feeling in your heart. You knew that there was nothing you could do that would satisfy this need in you. You couldn't be a nurse, a PA, a dentist, a podiatrist, lawyer, businessman, or teacher. You needed to be a doctor. You needed to put theses hours in to do this.

It is at the point of breaking. When the long nights, early mornings, the stress, the worry, the tiredness, the anxiety, becomes too much... when you had enough, and you want to quit... don't. People burn out and don't take a chance. Take your time, breath...."

So yeah do you want to be a doctor? Because if you think any amount of money will make you happy enough to do this job, you are so wrong. Look deep inside of you. Find what makes you burn... is it seeing the suffering of children in malnourished countries, or is it seeing poorly handed funds that could be make more efficient, or is it seeing how you really enjoy working in a restaurant seeing people smile when they get their food?

You are brave to ask your question, be brave to listen to yourself and do what is in your best interest. Honestly, we don't need another burned out doctor, we need truly happy, helping doctors out there...

BTW- Doctors make more money than you need to live on. So, figure out what you NEED vs WANT, and begin to paint a rough picture of what you want to do.
                                  Man you really are in for a rude awakening if you get into medical school. Not being mean at all, it's literally just the truth.

studpremed

5+ Year Member
                                  Aug 26, 2013
                                  1. Pre-Medical

This is a bit much and this is coming from (me) someone who stresses a lot about grade. We're not (or at least most pre-meds I know) choose medicine because there is some destiny or its this career or bust. Medicine is a career. and I chose medicine cause I like the career. Not because I am burning for it.

Edit: The only reason why I also stress about my grades is because I got lazy my first semester and suffered the consequences of it.

Last edited:

Veritas2016

Jan 23, 2016

2) To help others.

Dont do it for the money. Its not worth the hassle only for the money.

About the Ads

freak7

Stuck in a tacky hat
                                      5+ Year Member
                                    • Feb 16, 2016
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        You do this when your friends are having fun going to the beach, playing video games, going on vacation, and just relaxing. You do this when you don't feel like doing it. You do this in the early morning and late into the night. You spend time on the MCAT, the GPA.... the letters, the numbers.... You go to clubs, you work, you are a leader, you are a teacher, you are a researcher, you are a student, you are helping.... and at the end of the day, you are tired. People don't get why you can't just go out and have some fun. They don't get what it takes to be a doctor. They see how hard it is as a pre-med and quickly label you "teacher's pet," "OCD," "Nerd," and other lascivious names.

Anaphora is the cheapest rhetorical device.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
                                        Dec 28, 2016
                                        North Carolina
                                          From those I've spoken with, if you want to make money you should get an MBA. At least that's what most of my friends who are doctors have said.

However, you might find that you are really called to this. Definitely shadow a bit or do some volunteering at the hospital. I interned for a summer in an engineering firm and really didn't enjoy it, but still went into the field. I'm finally getting out. I knew it wasn't for me, but stuck it out for as long as possible. The problem with medicine is that many people shadow, intern, volunteer, etc. and think they'll like medicine based on those experiences, and yet they STILL end up miserable in the field. So if you go in and volunteer and shadow and you don't like it, look for another option. If you do like it, consider a few other options as well, but leave medicine open as a possibility.

Dandine

7+ Year Member
                                          Apr 23, 2012
                                          1. Medical Student
                                            Followed this thread for a while and finally joining in. I think there are many motivations for choosing medicine as a career, and really with all the experience you get, you can't truly know what it's like to be a doctor until you're literally a doctor (the way you can't really know what it's like to be a medical student until you are one). That doesn't mean you shouldn't explore careers or learn about the day-to-day workings, but there's a reason why people say there's a "calling" or "faith" when it comes to choosing medicine: whatever reason/s has/have to compel you to want to do it, even with constant challenges ahead. And they can change too. But they keep you in, somehow.

@esperanzarising9 It's honorable that you want to help your family, and I think there are multiple ways of earning a decent salary, all with their benefits and drawbacks. Medicine is a good option; you'll have accept the amount of time to dedicate yourself to that path because of many, many long years of training, but the skills you learn will be very unique. Other healthcare fields (assuming that's your interest) like dentistry, nursing, PA, physical or occupational therapy, and pharmacy are good. In the end, though, it's a matter of finding your reasons for wanting to help in a particular career, as each one involves certain skill sets and different training. Keep looking into these fields, do whatever shadowing you need in them, and go from there. Wishing you the best.

P.S. I can't speak for the MBA security but there are multiple physicians who are also pursing MBA degrees as well to supplement their med degree, usually towards administration.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
                                            Dec 28, 2016
                                            North Carolina
                                              @DBC03 and others, how secure are MBA jobs though?

There will always be businesses and positions for administrators within those businesses. As an MBA you have a certain amount of autonomy within your job with little to no government oversight. It is also what you make it - work hard, and you can move up. The people who making the big dollars in the medical industry are not the MDs (or at least MD-only), they are the CFOs, etc. and many of them do not have MDs. I'm almost tempted to apply for an MBA as well as I've run my own business for years, but the thought of adding another year or two of school to an already long and expensive MD program might not be the wisest idea. Plus, I'd rather be on the academic side and not the administrative side.

While medicine seems to be a secure job, you have to take into account that we have NO idea what the insurance reimbursement and government oversight will look like in a few years, and physicians' reimbursements, and salaries, have been dropping consistently over the past few years. So you may be have a secure job, but you might not be making the money you see doctors making today. Or there may be more expectations on how much you need to work or how much autonomy you have (basically very little).

I would carefully consider the amount of debt you will be taking out. This is something that has concerned me over the past year as we just finished paying off over $100k in student loan debt a few years ago and I am not pumped about taking out more. It's not easy to repay, even on an engineering salary with two people working. When you go into medicine, you'll be looking at taking out anything between $60k to $80k per year (unless you're in TX or get some serious scholarships) to cover both tuition and living expenses - so you're looking at AT LEAST $240k to $320k. You can't pay that off during residency, so it might be closer to $500k by the time you start making payments. We have a game plan going into this process and have a few creative ways we can pay this off quickly. But most students don't think through this and believe that they can pay it off easily with whatever imagined salary they believe they will be getting as soon as they finish their supposed orthopedic residency (or some other high paying specialty that is difficult to get into), or they fail to realize that the interest will balloon while in residency. Many of my friends entered medical school during one political climate and came out with a completely different one, and that had a significant impact on their salaries. You cannot count on the amount you will be making going into this process, so think through it carefully. I am not saying I think you should skip it, but that you need to carefully consider the various aspects: Will I be happy or is it possible that I will be miserable? Will I actually be making enough to pay off my debt? Would I possibly be happier in a different field? The biggest complaint I've heard of late is that people are feeling "trapped" in medicine because they cannot pay off their debt without remaining doctors. These are just a few considerations.

calivianya

2+ Year Member
                                            • Jun 26, 2017
                                                A 3 year fellowship?
                                                Most of the guys I work with spent three years in fellowship - they are pulm/ccm docs. It's what I want to do, so I literally don't know how long anything else takes because I haven't done much research on other things.

When your child appears independent and stable and directed that is supposed to be the reward itself. Not the degree or the money. Your good life should be your parents' wish.
                                                Thanks for saying that. It is what they want; they are excited about me deciding to pursue medicine. However, I understand the OP in that I wish I could help them out. They sacrificed so much for me, and have helped me so much... and now that they're getting to the point that they need help, I can't help them. It just feels like they got the piss poor end of the deal to me, and that sucks.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
                                                Removed
                                                May 21, 2016
                                                1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                                                  I am Hispanic

That is completely irrelevant. Do not understand why you believe race is one of the most important factors to include in your post.

Anyway, don't go to medical school if it's not your calling. Doing it for the money will make you miserable. If you want to do anything for money, then Nursing is your way to go --- BSN, $80k salary, 4 years, and you can go to graduate school for NP or Nurse Anesthetist and make $120K+.

calivianya

2+ Year Member
                                                • Jun 26, 2017
                                                    If you want to do anything for money, then Nursing is your way to go --- BSN, $80k salary, 4 years, and you can go to graduate school for NP or Nurse Anesthetist and make $120K+.
                                                    I do not recommend anyone go into nursing for the money... $80k is a salary for rich people parts of the country and/or 20+ years of experience. My base salary with four years of critical care experience plus two specialty certs, working as charge and RRT, etc. is about $52k. My total gross was a hair over $90k last year, but that was with many 60+ hour weeks, and you ought to see the taxes on a single, healthy person with no children making $90k. I only took home $55k of it in cash after taxes and deductions.

Also, you only have the back that you were born with, and nursing is a high physical labor field. I have constant back and neck pain now, even when I'm just lying down trying to sleep, and I'm not even 30 yet. Not to mention go ahead and enjoy being yelled at every time every single other discipline screws something up. You are literally responsible for everything that happens with every discipline, with no decision making power of your own to fix things. There are some things that aren't worth the money, and IMO nursing is one of them.

Reactions: 1 users
                                                    About the Ads

gyngyn

Alta California
                                                    Staff member
                                                    Administrator
                                                    Volunteer Staff
                                                    Lifetime Donor
                                                    10+ Year Member
                                                    Verified Expert
                                                  • Nov 4, 2011
                                                    1. Attending Physician
                                                      That is completely irrelevant. Do not understand why you believe race is one of the most important factors to include in your post.
                                                      Providing context for the story is perfectly appropriate.

miniman

2+ Year Member
                                                      Nov 9, 2015
                                                      1. Pre-Medical
                                                        Oh and one more thing that sucks. You have to deal with people like me that read way too much philosophy. After taking a break from reading I agree it is a bit melodramatic. Lol :) but I still think I make valid points. Just saying. :)

Have a great, safe weekend people!

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
                                                        Removed
                                                        May 21, 2016
                                                          Providing context for the story is perfectly appropriate.

Exactly how is including one's race important or vital into becoming a licensed Physician? Anyone can become a Physician, regardless of race. Or is the OP trying to pull the race card since minorities are specifically entitled to certain privleges because of their race (ex: scholarships, affirmative action, etc).

If it's as important as you claim it is, then maybe including other "relevant" information such as sexual orientation, the day he/she lost virginity, or other practical matters may be of your kind interest.

7331poas

5+ Year Member
                                                          Jun 17, 2015
                                                          1. Medical Student
                                                            IIt isn't all fun and games being a doctor. You can't always just walk away from your studies.

It also isnt fun and games living in the real world where the AAMC doesn't artificially limit the supply of doctors effectively granting you a 0 percent unemployment rate.

Everything you listed "sucks". But ask the people living out in industry where automation and market forces dictate their survival.

7331poas

5+ Year Member
                                                            Jun 17, 2015
                                                            1. Medical Student
                                                              While medicine seems to be a secure job, you have to take into account that we have NO idea what the insurance reimbursement and government oversight will look like in a few years, and physicians' reimbursements, and salaries, have been dropping consistently over the past few years.

And other industries do have clear pictures regarding their security in the future?

Also every single data point I have seen shows physician salaries increasing, not the opposite.

gyngyn

Alta California
                                                              Staff member
                                                              Administrator
                                                              Volunteer Staff
                                                              Lifetime Donor
                                                              10+ Year Member
                                                              Verified Expert
                                                            • Nov 4, 2011
                                                              1. Attending Physician
                                                                Exactly how is including one's race important or vital into becoming a licensed Physician? Anyone can become a Physician, regardless of race. Or is the OP trying to pull the race card since minorities are specifically entitled to certain privleges because of their race (ex: scholarships, affirmative action, etc).

If it's as important as you claim it is, then maybe including other "relevant" information such as sexual orientation, the day he/she lost virginity, or other practical matters may be of your kind interest.
                                                                The observation that she has a particular role in the provision of healthcare to a group that is in serious need could be seen as important.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
                                                                Removed
                                                                May 21, 2016
                                                                  The observation that she has a particular role in the provision of healthcare to a group that is in serious need could be seen as important.

Let me ask you this:

Would you rather be operated on a surgeon who was admitted to medical school because of their superb and brilliant intelligence, or one who was only admitted for his or her race?

Can you also answer how exactly Hispanics are disadvantaged or in "serious need" as you claim? There are many applicants who want to be a doctor. Admitting an applicant solely based on race and ethnicity is racist and discriminatory itself, and is counterproductive in allowing equal opportunity for individuals to fulfill their dreams as a Doctor.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
                                                                  Removed
                                                                  May 21, 2016
                                                                    OP also included how many siblings they have, that they're a first gen college student, their family income...they're just giving background information. Take it easy, killer. You're reading way too much into this - OP isn't the one who is "pulling the race card" here.

I understand the OP has financial issues. I do not understand the significance of including race however. Everyone is equal.

Kurk

2+ Year Member
                                                                    Feb 18, 2016
                                                                    1. Pre-Dental
                                                                      If you want a good, secure salary after many years of schooling and associated debt in addition to other motivators then yes the field is for you. If you're looking primarily for financial stability to support your family off of I'd stick to the other STEMM careers.

Toutie

Full Member
                                                                      2+ Year Member
                                                                      Apr 12, 2015
                                                                      1. Non-Student
                                                                        Let me ask you this:

Would you rather be operated on a surgeon who was admitted to medical school because of their superb and brilliant intelligence, or one who was only admitted for his or her race?

Can you also answer how exactly Hispanics are disadvantaged or in "serious need" as you claim? There are many applicants who want to be a doctor. Admitting an applicant solely based on race and ethnicity is racist and discriminatory itself, and is counterproductive in allowing equal opportunity for individuals to fulfill their dreams as a Doctor.

I would rather be operated on someone who made it through med school and residency.

It has nothing to do with who wants to be a doctor. It has to do with the patients. Patients want doctors who look like them who understand their language, their culture.

Reactions: 2 users

gyngyn

Alta California
                                                                        Staff member
                                                                        Administrator
                                                                        Volunteer Staff
                                                                        Lifetime Donor
                                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                                        Verified Expert
                                                                      • Nov 4, 2011
                                                                        1. Attending Physician
                                                                          Let me ask you this:

Having trained more surgeons than I care to enumerate, I can tell you that their "admission criteria" has nothing to do with their surgical skills.
                                                                          There is no dispute that there are specific communities whose access to medical care is limited due to their race, ethnicity and language preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
                                                                          • Like

gyngyn

Alta California
                                                                          Staff member
                                                                          Administrator
                                                                          Volunteer Staff
                                                                          Lifetime Donor
                                                                          10+ Year Member
                                                                          Verified Expert
                                                                        • Nov 4, 2011
                                                                          26,152
                                                                          47,941
                                                                          1. Attending Physician
                                                                            Last edited by a moderator:
                                                                            • Like

freak7

Stuck in a tacky hat
                                                                            5+ Year Member
                                                                          • Feb 16, 2016
                                                                            3,565
                                                                            7,288
                                                                            1. Medical Student
                                                                              Let me ask you this:

:beat:

• Like

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
                                                                              Removed
                                                                              May 21, 2016
                                                                              95
                                                                              32
                                                                                I would rather be operated on someone who made it through med school and residency.

It has nothing to do with who wants to be a doctor. It has to do with the patients. Patients want doctors who look like them who understand their language, their culture.

If this has to do with patients as you claim it is, then we just live in two different worlds--as myself and others choose Physicians based on their expertise, knowledge, and training--not race. I don't know of anyone that would pick doctor's based on race.

I don't care and patients shouldn't either of what race a doctor should be. Our healthcare community deserve only the best and talented. The Hippocratic Oath means to serve for all.

gyngyn

Alta California
                                                                                Staff member
                                                                                Administrator
                                                                                Volunteer Staff
                                                                                Lifetime Donor
                                                                                10+ Year Member
                                                                                Verified Expert
                                                                              • Nov 4, 2011
                                                                                26,152
                                                                                47,941
                                                                                1. Attending Physician
                                                                                  If this has to do with patients as you claim it is, then we just live in two different worlds--as myself and others choose Physicians based on their expertise, knowledge, and training--not race. I don't know of anyone that would pick doctor's based on race.

I don't care and patients shouldn't either of what race a doctor should be. Our healthcare community deserve only the best and talented. The Hippocratic Oath means to serve for all.
                                                                                  I'll try again: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/sociopolitical-issues.12/
                                                                                  Your issue is not helping OP.
                                                                                  That's what we are here for.

• Like

Toutie

Full Member
                                                                                  2+ Year Member
                                                                                  Apr 12, 2015
                                                                                  1,603
                                                                                  2,692
                                                                                  1. Non-Student

Maybe you don't care, but people of other ethnicities do care. They want a doctor who looks like them speaks their language, understand their culture. Have you ever read the book The Spirit Catches You and You Fall down? If not, read it.

• Like

cactusman

Full Member
                                                                                    2+ Year Member
                                                                                    Oct 12, 2016
                                                                                    1,046
                                                                                    1,669
                                                                                    1. Pre-Medical

No one else is causing issues here. Stop unless you're trying to get a perfectly useful thread closed.

• Like
                                                                                      About the Ads
                                                                                      Status
                                                                                      Not open for further replies.