To be or not to be a doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you don't care, but people of other ethnicities do care. They want a doctor who looks like them speaks their language, understand their culture. Have you ever read the book The Spirit Catches You and You Fall down? If not, read it.

I'll end my post here. All I can say is medical school is a once-and-a lifetime opportunity, and for one race to be admitted due to their ethnicity is unfair, and I am sure that if a medical school admission officer had one seat left and The choice was between you and another person, and the other applicant was selected because he/she was a certain ethnicity I am sure you will be upset as I am.

No hard feelings. Just a discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll end my post here. All I can say is medical school is a once-and-a lifetime opportunity, and for one race to be admitted due to their ethnicity is unfair, and I am sure that if a medical school admission officer had one seat left and The choice was between you and another person, and the other applicant was selected because he/she was a certain ethnicity I am sure you will be upset as I am.

No hard feelings. Just a discussion.
That's not how med school admissions works. At all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think we have identified the problem. It's not about you. It is here for the people we serve.
Please, take this where it belongs! https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/sociopolitical-issues.12/

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know 100% what goes on in admissions? Gyngyn just said that he has seen many times that admission criteria in surgical specialties has NOTHING to do with skills, but rather is for ethnicity. If this occurs in the employment field, then how can this not happen in medical school admissions?
That is not what I said. Please take this where it belongs!

Reactions: 2 users
And other industries do have clear pictures regarding their security in the future?

Also every single data point I have seen shows physician salaries increasing, not the opposite.

I was answering a question regarding the security of jobs you can get after you get an MBA. No job is secure. Period. I would say that the engineering and medical industries provide a bit more security than most. That does not mean that getting an MBA will be less secure than getting into the medical field. But it's best if people getting into the medical industry understand that outside of the cash-only side, future salaries are highly dependent on many factors that have little to do with how wonderful a doctor is or how much doctors are making now. I have talked to plenty of doctors who have either dropped in salary, stagnated, or have had to take on 25% more patients to keep making the same salary. Insurance reimbursements are not going up (just the opposite), and it takes longer and requires more paper to get reimbursed. I am still planning on getting into the industry, but I plan to do so with my eyes wide open to both the costs and benefits. I strongly believe the OP should seriously consider the medical field, but needs to consider all aspects of it. I am glad many of my friends were frank with me when I asked what they thought of the medical industry and asked for their advice (many have been in it for 10 or 15 years at this point). There are wonderful aspects and there are difficult aspects.

If this has to do with patients as you claim it is, then we just live in two different worlds--as myself and others choose Physicians based on their expertise, knowledge, and training--not race. I don't know of anyone that would pick doctor's based on race.

I don't care and patients shouldn't either of what race a doctor should be. Our healthcare community deserve only the best and talented. The Hippocratic Oath means to serve for all.
This lady

Reactions: 1 users
If this has to do with patients as you claim it is, then we just live in two different worlds--as myself and others choose Physicians based on their expertise, knowledge, and training--not race. I don't know of anyone that would pick doctor's based on race.

I don't care and patients shouldn't either of what race a doctor should be. Our healthcare community deserve only the best and talented. The Hippocratic Oath means to serve for all.

You don't care because you don't experience the difficulties certain populations face in terms of their healthcare. Maybe you should do some studying on the matter before you enter a field with a notable problem in the form of healthcare disparities.

Additionally, URM Admissions doesn't preclude "the best and the talented" from getting into medical school so your point doesn't even make sense.

Your post reeks of entitlement and ignorance beyond belief.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread has gone sufficiently off topic without evidence that we can further help OP.
Those who wish to discuss the effects of medical care and health disparities are welcome to do so in the socio-political forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.