To Be or Not To Be? Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rpeardon94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to do some research into optometry residencies. And I am wondering, is an OD with a residency able to do anything that an OD without a residency cannot do? Does it depend on what type of residency the OD completes? As an example, I have been looking into orthokeratology lately. I can't seem to find any requirements on who is qualified to perform this. Does an OD have to undergo a cornea and contact lens residency in order to be able to perform ortho-k? Or can a young OD learn this from an experienced OD and bring it to their own practice? Are there any other examples?

I know that residents make around $30k-$40k during their residencies. I have read that residencies are only worth doing if you are wanting to teach at a university. Is this true? All insight is welcomed. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

ortho-k can be performed by any licensed OD. I believe it is taught in optometry school along with RGP and scleral CLs! However not all practice ortho-k because it requires a corneal topography machine which can be costly. Of course completing a residency in cornea and contact lens would enable you to tackle more difficult cases/higher Rx with ortho-k but you do not need the residency to prescribe ortho-k lenses.

As a side note, residencies can definitely be useful for getting a job/working in a medical optometry practice! They would also allow you to specialize and potentially offer extra services/charge more than a normal OD. I know it is easier to get a job with a residency vs just being a new grad, but it depends on the person! Definitely not necessary to do a residency to practice optometry.

Last edited:
Residencies are great for those interested in academics or sub specializing. A primary care residency, in my opinion, doesn't offer much to you as a future practicing OD other than giving you an additional year to practice under the wing of another program. It may be helpful for networking somewhat, but far from necessary. Now, if you're wanting to sub-specialize in something like surgical comanagement, contact lenses, pediatrics or neuro etc, you offer a different set of skills which will make you more marketable (read: money making). Some people are comfortable going without a residency and fitting scleral lenses for example. But if you keep up with self education and you're skilled, you should have no problem. There are pros and cons

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been trying to do some research into optometry residencies. And I am wondering, is an OD with a residency able to do anything that an OD without a residency cannot do? Does it depend on what type of residency the OD completes? As an example, I have been looking into orthokeratology lately. I can't seem to find any requirements on who is qualified to perform this. Does an OD have to undergo a cornea and contact lens residency in order to be able to perform ortho-k? Or can a young OD learn this from an experienced OD and bring it to their own practice? Are there any other examples?

I know that residents make around $30k-$40k during their residencies. I have read that residencies are only worth doing if you are wanting to teach at a university. Is this true? All insight is welcomed. Thank you!

a residency just to add ortho-k into your practice is in all honesty a waste of a year. you can certainly fit ortho-k without a residency. some companies have a training program to teach you how to fit their lenses (paragon CRT does, not 100% on others but im sure they do as well) other higher end ortho-k companies have specialized topographers that you need to purchase in order to fit their lenses you send in the topo and they design a lens based on the topo..(I forget the company, sorry) Paragon CRT is where most who aren't super familiar start or B&Ls has a lens bc is it simpler to fit but IMO not the best. Im a former paragon CRT wearer and it was not great to be honest but I believe it was the inexperience of the doc who fit them. If you are truly interested in ortho-k but not sure how to incorporate it into your practice or when you graduate how you would incorporate it, see when the next annual ortho-k conference is. They give you a ton of info and you can get lots of ideas from other docs on how to do it. On one of my rotations I shadowed Dr. Ken Maller who only does ortho-k and rgp contact lens fittings works 2 days a week (mind you he's been an OD for a very long time so this isn't how he always worked) and makes a great living doing so. residencies are great if you want to get a lot of experience with Oc disease or cornea/Contact lens (but I think from more of a post dz/transplant perspective) not saying dont do a residency but if its only ortho-k you're after go to the major conference and save a year. hope this helps

ortho-k can be performed by any licensed OD. I believe it is taught in optometry school along with RGP and scleral CLs! However not all practice ortho-k because it requires a corneal topography machine which can be costly. Of course completing a residency in cornea and contact lens would enable you to tackle more difficult cases/higher Rx with ortho-k but you do not need the residency to prescribe ortho-k lenses.

As a side note, residencies can definitely be useful for getting a job/working in a medical optometry practice! They would also allow you to specialize and potentially offer extra services/charge more than a normal OD. I know it is easier to get a job with a residency vs just being a new grad, but it depends on the person! Definitely not necessary to do a residency to practice optometry.

Thank you for your input. I notice your an OD student, do you plan on completing a residency after you graduate? Why or why not?

a residency just to add ortho-k into your practice is in all honesty a waste of a year. you can certainly fit ortho-k without a residency. some companies have a training program to teach you how to fit their lenses (paragon CRT does, not 100% on others but im sure they do as well) other higher end ortho-k companies have specialized topographers that you need to purchase in order to fit their lenses you send in the topo and they design a lens based on the topo..(I forget the company, sorry) Paragon CRT is where most who aren't super familiar start or B&Ls has a lens bc is it simpler to fit but IMO not the best. Im a former paragon CRT wearer and it was not great to be honest but I believe it was the inexperience of the doc who fit them. If you are truly interested in ortho-k but not sure how to incorporate it into your practice or when you graduate how you would incorporate it, see when the next annual ortho-k conference is. They give you a ton of info and you can get lots of ideas from other docs on how to do it. On one of my rotations I shadowed Dr. Ken Maller who only does ortho-k and rgp contact lens fittings works 2 days a week (mind you he's been an OD for a very long time so this isn't how he always worked) and makes a great living doing so. residencies are great if you want to get a lot of experience with Oc disease or cornea/Contact lens (but I think from more of a post dz/transplant perspective) not saying dont do a residency but if its only ortho-k you're after go to the major conference and save a year. hope this helps

I wasn't saying the residency was "just" to add ortho-k. I was just using that as an example to ask if the more general question if a residency can enhance your scope of practice. However, thank you for your input it was very helpful. I also notice that you are an OD student. If you don't mind sharing, do you plan on pursuing a residency? why or why not?

Ortho-K was presented in lectures at my school. I have spoken to other new grad optometrists who said the same of their optometry schools. None of us had hands-on experience that would make us feel comfortable performing ortho-k solo after graduation. Could we do it -- of course.

Residency is fantastic. With that said, not all residencies are equal. Do research and speak to past and current residents as well as others about programs.

The saying is, "Residencies give you five years of clinical experience in one year."

I can say without a doubt that my residency made me a much more confident clinician and exposed me to clinical situations that a large number of new grad optometrists have not experienced. This is also in the context of having an experienced clinician always somewhere close to ask questions.

Best of luck. If you are a student, keep in mind a residency and keep an open mind. Today you might be thinking contact lenses, but by the time you are applying for residency as a fourth year, you might find out that you really love low vision instead.

Ortho-K was presented in lectures at my school. I have spoken to other new grad optometrists who said the same of their optometry schools. None of us had hands-on experience that would make us feel comfortable performing ortho-k solo after graduation. Could we do it -- of course.

Residency is fantastic. With that said, not all residencies are equal. Do research and speak to past and current residents as well as others about programs.

The saying is, "Residencies give you five years of clinical experience in one year."

I can say without a doubt that my residency made me a much more confident clinician and exposed me to clinical situations that a large number of new grad optometrists have not experienced. This is also in the context of having an experienced clinician always somewhere close to ask questions.

Best of luck. If you are a student, keep in mind a residency and keep an open mind. Today you might be thinking contact lenses, but by the time you are applying for residency as a fourth year, you might find out that you really love low vision instead.

Thank you for your advice. If you don't mind me asking, what type of residency did you complete and through which school?

Thank you for your input. I notice your an OD student, do you plan on completing a residency after you graduate? Why or why not?
I Just finished my first year, so I'm not 100% sure yet whether or not I want to do a residency. since I'm a Canadian student, the only residencies available in Canada are through Waterloo, and I believe there are only 5 spots per year for the entire country! so It is quite competitive. I think once completing my specialty courses in 3rd year I will have a better idea of what specialty region I like and if I possible want to do a residency in that area.

Reactions: 1 user
I Just finished my first year, so I'm not 100% sure yet whether or not I want to do a residency. since I'm a Canadian student, the only residencies available in Canada are through Waterloo, and I believe there are only 5 spots per year for the entire country! so It is quite competitive. I think once completing my specialty courses in 3rd year I will have a better idea of what specialty region I like and if I possible want to do a residency in that area.

Awesome! Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user