To college freshmen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshmen reading this board take note:
Major in something fun in college. Get a good gpa (doing as little work as possible ;)), have fun, drink lots your freshmen year(slow down afterwards or you will be "that guy"), dont hang with premeds. Do something incredibly dumb under the influence of alcohol at least once.
Get laid, fall in love, get your heart ripped out and stomped on. Dont stress about school - it isnt worth it. Become an adult and start acting like one. Make good friends - in the long run they are one of the most important things. Dont expect life to get better later on (i.e. i will relax when i get into med school) - make it enjoyable now. And finally, quit reading sdn you ******s you are still youngsters!

Members don't see this ad.

Well said....

Don't you have an erg to deal with??? ;)

Originally posted by Robz
Well said....

Don't you have an erg to deal with??? ;)

I am sick and therefor not moving anymore today. I felt that I should take some time to spread my wisdom to the younger generations though.

Why arent you out? You should go hit up Barleys, no cover tonight and delicious microbrews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wat happens if you can not find anything that you really love like me. Any advice. I want to pursue med but would like to major in something fun but can't find anything. i don't want to major in bio cause i am going to study science until my last breath in this world

Originally posted by Sherif
Wat happens if you can not find anything that you really love like me. Any advice. I want to pursue med but would like to major in something fun but can't find anything. i don't want to major in bio cause i am going to study science until my last breath in this world

thats for you to figure out in college. theres a bunch of new and different courses that you have most likely never been in contact with. explore classes you think sound interesting. which ones? i have no idea man. i dont have your general catalouge of classes or anything.

once you get in, thats when you decide. no need to worry about it beforehand...that is unless your university is lame and doesnt let you roam around and take classes in the various depts out there.

Originally posted by Sherif

I would major in something easy then. Seriously, there is so much outside of academia. Why waste your time busting your ass in something that doesnt interest you?

*note* even "easy" subjects can be a lot of work. It really is better to do something you enjoy

Originally posted by Cerberus
I am sick and therefor not moving anymore today. I felt that I should take some time to spread my wisdom to the younger generations though.

Why arent you out? You should go hit up Barleys, no cover tonight and delicious microbrews.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am all about beer and liquor. I just didn't want to be "that guy" out on Valentine's at a bar by himself. So, I'm having a nice segrams seven and seven at home while enjoying good ol' SDN.

I don't drink :p

Other than that, I'm having fun (3.0 first semester, little laid back).

Originally posted by Robz
Now, don't get me wrong. I am all about beer and liquor. I just didn't want to be "that guy" out on Valentine's at a bar by himself. So, I'm having a nice segrams seven and seven at home while enjoying good ol' SDN.

Probably a good call, I forgot what day it was:rolleyes:

Good advice Cerb. I am in my second semester, but I'm taking O-chem so I'm keeping some of my debauchery shelved to one night a week. I would love to make it 3-4, however. Lucky for me I have at least one class I *like* going to. And I'm not a bio major, so I've got that going for me :) I'd like to add that AVOIDING PRE-MEDS AT ALL COSTS is a great way to go, and has kept me normal so far :smuggrin: .

Major in Spanish... I wish I had. I LOVE bio, but I could've done all the Bio AND Spanish and it would have been easier, I think.

i wish i had learned about the whole avoiding pre-meds when i was a freshman. as a result, i ended up hating my entire fresh. year, thinking that these people were *supposed* to be my friends because we shared something in common, only i couldn't put up with the whole flipping out if you get an 89 instead of a 90. this year, i hang out with just about everyone else.

Originally posted by Cerberus
Freshmen reading this board take note:
Major in something fun in college. Get a good gpa (doing as little work as possible ;)), have fun, drink lots your freshmen year(slow down afterwards or you will be "that guy"), dont hang with premeds. Do something incredibly dumb under the influence of alcohol at least once.
Get laid, fall in love, get your heart ripped out and stomped on. Dont stress about school - it isnt worth it. Become an adult and start acting like one. Make good friends - in the long run they are one of the most important things. Dont expect life to get better later on (i.e. i will relax when i get into med school) - make it enjoyable now. And finally, quit reading sdn you ******s you are still youngsters!
This is one of the best posts I have ever seen in Pre-Allo. You hit the nail on the head - especially the part about good friends.

Ahh! My desire to become an art major grows stronger and stronger every day. Studio art course in drawing: the only course I could stay up til 6am working on and feel happy about.

Having friends who are all enginerds or pre-meds is no good ...we all stress out together. As a fellow enginerd said "you go to school, go to more school, work, and then you die." Too bad worries over money and fear of being seen as an utter failure in the eyes of those who have the most influence over us (*ahem* parents) has such an impact upon how we think and therefore how we act.

So thankful for the existence of squirrels (so fat, so funny) and marshmallows (ever try drawing faces on them w/ a Sharpie and blowing them up in the microwave?). Everyone needs some things to make them laugh, else we all would be screwed.

Ya, this is a good post in general. But freshman be wary of slacking off. It will come back to bite you in the ass. As for picking an "easy" major, I'd be wary of that also. I think med school admissions people are much more interested in people who have gone into at least one somewhat challanging field in depth. That last sentence may sound vague, and I'm not saying that you should choose a narrow major like neurobiology or something. Just make sure you stay active and interested in your classes, and that your grade report shows that. So if you don't have a focus such as art or spanish, just take some upper level electives out of interest when you don't neccessarily have to.

But back to the OPs take home messege, have fun too, because that is a big part of college. I recall times during my freshman year, wasted with a few friends and walking home to the dorms from a party that was couple miles off campus, thinking, "this is what college is all about."

here's another word of advice: whatever you decide to major in, be it neuroanatamophysiology or basket weaving, don't do it half-assed. a lot of people know only one pre-med, and so you will represent the rest of us, so don't make us look bad. :D

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Major in Spanish... I wish I had. I LOVE bio, but I could've done all the Bio AND Spanish and it would have been easier, I think.

I majored in Spanish. And minored in Religion!

Do what you LOVE, people! :clap:

and when you do get laid....wear a condom!!

Just had to contribute my safe sex $0.02!!

Sigh- four years... have gone by. I'm kinda old (21).

I think my best advice I could give you, first years, is to surround yourself with positive friends. Talk to more professors, find a topic you can excel in and hone on it (gender studies or something)..

And take an ethics class. Medical ethics class that is, if they offer any in your school. Really has opened my eyes to several things.

Read more... I'm not talking about science journals.... a little Hesse, Kawabata, Maupin.. anything won't hurt. Never fear to learn and have a great time. Being young is something I wish I could be again.

C-
Great thread!
I'm now 26 and have wanted to be an MD since I was a munchkin. I started school kinda young, and so I majored in a health profession that I could do pretty much anywhere, and then I traveled. Six years later, I've made a difference in the lives of many, developed a rapport with other therapists and MDs in my area, lived and worked in Portugal (while playing pro roller hockey), and now I'm getting to try my hand at administration of our therapy clinic (although today I had to lay people off, and that sucks hard). Neat little cache of experiences, and I've been able to LOVE life while doing it. My 4 year degree gave me a decent GPA and taught me lots. I'm now finishing up my reqs with Ochem II and studying for the MCAT.
I'd say do what you want to in school, live life as one should, and go to medical school whenever you feel ready to.
Best of luck to all.

dc