To do or not to do? that is my Question

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by surgiwho, Mar 7, 2007.

1. surgiwho

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everyone, I am sure you all are desperately waiting to know where you have matched. To residents I bet you remember these days very well.

I am an IMG with 6 months US clinical experience (clerkship), very good LOR's from US Surgeons, Step1 224 and I will take Step2 soon. I rushed S1 (1 month) and I am trying to rush step 2, so that I don't sit out a year.
    I have been offered a possible prelim spot in Surgery (by possible, meaning they would have to wait until I finish my step2 in April-May and be certified by early June).
    So my questions are:
    1. If I do the prelim year will I be at a disadvantage when I apply next year for a categorical. (Is it true that you only get funding for 5 years in Surgery?)
    2. Will I be doing more harm than good since I have US clinical experience, and I will possibly suffer on S2 score by rushing?
    3. Is getting IN to the prelim spot the only way to get a spot into surgery?
    Thanks for your replies.:idea:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

4. surgiwho

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you very much Dr.Cox, I guess I am still debating the issue, and wanted an answer I knew I couldn't get. I suppose I'll see how things go and I'll take step2 as soon as I know I can get a good score (scores on practice tests), and if the spot is still available I will take it, if not I'll find some research (my real weak spot on my application, I think, other than FMG). I guess research is so foreign to me (most people reading this forum are probably thinking "what a loser, I did tons of research, so easy to do, etc.") since I was never really exposed to it. After step2 I will have to start reading and really get my hands onto some research:eek: . Assisting a private surgeon would be worthless compared to research, right?
    Thanks again