1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

To do or not to do? that is my Question

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by surgiwho, Mar 7, 2007.

1. surgiwho

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everyone, I am sure you all are desperately waiting to know where you have matched. To residents I bet you remember these days very well.

I am an IMG with 6 months US clinical experience (clerkship), very good LOR's from US Surgeons, Step1 224 and I will take Step2 soon. I rushed S1 (1 month) and I am trying to rush step 2, so that I don't sit out a year.
    I have been offered a possible prelim spot in Surgery (by possible, meaning they would have to wait until I finish my step2 in April-May and be certified by early June).
    So my questions are:
    1. If I do the prelim year will I be at a disadvantage when I apply next year for a categorical. (Is it true that you only get funding for 5 years in Surgery?)
    2. Will I be doing more harm than good since I have US clinical experience, and I will possibly suffer on S2 score by rushing?
    3. Is getting IN to the prelim spot the only way to get a spot into surgery?
    Thanks for your replies.:idea:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

4. surgiwho

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you very much Dr.Cox, I guess I am still debating the issue, and wanted an answer I knew I couldn't get. I suppose I'll see how things go and I'll take step2 as soon as I know I can get a good score (scores on practice tests), and if the spot is still available I will take it, if not I'll find some research (my real weak spot on my application, I think, other than FMG). I guess research is so foreign to me (most people reading this forum are probably thinking "what a loser, I did tons of research, so easy to do, etc.") since I was never really exposed to it. After step2 I will have to start reading and really get my hands onto some research:eek: . Assisting a private surgeon would be worthless compared to research, right?
    Thanks again