To do or not to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NexusMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophmore (rising junior) in college. I know I am not a nontrad yet. I was wondering if this would be feasible. I am currently trying to major in Information Systems and Microbiology. This can be done by taking 17 credits per semester (and 1 or 2 summer sessions). I am not sure if I should apply to med school right away.
This is because I want to work for a bit after I graduate to see if medicine is really want I want to do, as wel as to get married to my fiance. I was wondering if this is a common thing to do? This would involve me working for 1 year, apply to med school during the summer, and then hopefully getting in the year after.So a total of 2 years out of college b4 I start.

I can either do this, or apply to med school during the summer b4 my senior year. This would involve me saving 2 years of my life. I ma no sure which one is the best option. Do any of you guys have suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a sophmore (rising junior) in college. I know I am not a nontrad yet. I was wondering if this would be feasible. I am currently trying to major in Information Systems and Microbiology. This can be done by taking 17 credits per semester (and 1 or 2 summer sessions). I am not sure if I should apply to med school right away.
This is because I want to work for a bit after I graduate to see if medicine is really want I want to do, as wel as to get married to my fiance. I was wondering if this is a common thing to do? This would involve me working for 1 year, apply to med school during the summer, and then hopefully getting in the year after.So a total of 2 years out of college b4 I start.

I can either do this, or apply to med school during the summer b4 my senior year. This would involve me saving 2 years of my life. I ma no sure which one is the best option. Do any of you guys have suggestions?

I have heard that the average age at many medical schools is around 24. I would guess, then, that this would imply that a notable number of matriculants are doing something similar to what you are suggesting, in that they are applying a few years out of college. As such, this would place you into the "average" range of matriculants for those schools, if you applied as you first suggest. I really don't think applying two years out of college will hurt you in the application process as long as you are able to speak about your time out of school meaningfully and provided that your numbers are competitive. Indeed, it could be of benefit, since maturity and life experience will be a part of your application profile and will be taken into consideration in the application process (more, or less, depending on the medical school). This being the case, there is no "best" option, really; there is only the option that makes sense for your unique sensibilities and goals. Do what pleases you and what makes sense to both mind and heart. What doesn't make sense, I think, would be to apply when you are not feeling ready to apply or to attend medical school, and most certainly it doesn't make sense to apply when you are not sure you want to commit to this path.

I think either way would work, though you need to really think about the timing with an upcoming marriage. I got married right after I graduated college (though I was a little older to begin with) and though I applied right after college I didn't get in that first time. Actually worked out well since I was able to take a few more classes to improve my record and was able to focus a little more on my 1st year of marriage than I probably would've been able to if I was a first year med student.

You and your SO need to sit down and honestly talk through the options and make sure each other understands what each option means and what lies ahead. My wife is finishing up law school so she definitely understands the demands of a tough academic program, but we still sat down and had a plan A, plan B, C, D, etc.... and talked through what would happen if I didn't get in a certain year, if I did, if we had to move, if I waited another year or two, etc.

Also, like you said, you ultimately have to make sure that medicine is truly what you want to do. If over the next year or two you get some good clinical experience and decide that it's what you want, then by all means apply right away (assuming you've taken care of the previous concerns above). If it's what you want to do then why wait a year or two?
If you aren't real sure at this point, and aren't sure in a couple years then by all means take a year off and really decide. When you do apply and interview, whether or not this is really what you want to do will become obvious, so make sure you answer that question before you apply. Also keep in mind that a lot of schools only accept MCAT scores taken within the past 3 years. So if you take them your junior year and then take a year off you'll be right at the deadline if for some reason you don't get in that first time.