To everyone who might not get in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your back up to a US med school spot this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian meds/dental school spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
FBI Forensic Scientist. You get you use math and science, there are decent benefits, and it'd be cool to carry a badge.

Originally posted by wolferman:
•FBI Forensic Scientist. You get you use math and science, there are decent benefits, and it'd be cool to carry a badge.•••

Your odds are much higher of getting in to medical school than becomming an FBI agent. I also hate to burst your bubble, but the forensic scientist in the bureau are generally not agents. They sit in the lab all day and process evidence.

Ed

MPH, then apply again.

If you are looking for something to do for a year while you apply again, the NIH has a post-bac program on the main campus in Bethesda (Maryland) that is pretty cool. you don't get paid very much ($19-21K), but it's really cool work in a lab, they pay for any classes you wanna take, encourage you to go to seminars, interviews for schools, etc. I'm doing it this year and I'm so glad for it. I'm now trying to decide which school I want to go to, not praying that someone will take me. i think the website is training.nih.gov, look for the IRTA program. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting! :) :) :)

I like this thread. Anybody else wanna contribute?

I'm thinking about taking the August MCATS or going abroad

I would try applying again rather than going abroad, since it could be difficult to do residencies and practice in the US after you graduate. Don't lose hope just because you didn't get in the first try.

A few of my friends got in after being rejected the year before. They were really determined and it was apparent to the committee.

I am retaking MCAT in april and try one more time for the last time.

My plan is to go to the schools that I like to get into and talk to the admissions office about improving my application. I've actually spoken to some professors whom I've done well in class and hopefully they would help me with better extracurriculars, possible a better research position or something. I'm not giving up, I worked so hard to get to where I am. I might as well take the MCATs again. While I have decent numbers, there are certain parts in my application that might be holding me back (such as the fact that I've taken some prerequisites at a foreign school). Problem is, my undergrad accepted these and I've gotten A's in ALL of the "follow-ups". It's tough for an immigrant like me, but I thought I've overcome all hurdles (got my citizenship recently). I've done Harvard's postbac before applying (since I thought one year of calculus will make me a more complete appplicant) and have no grades lower than an A-. I did shadowing and significant volunteer work.

I'm very upset with University of Pittsburgh and Rochester for not accepting those foreign prequesites, despite the fact that I did well in them, despite the fact that my undergrad college credited them and despite the fact that I still got A's on ALL the follow-ups (e.g. Physics 2, Orgo 2, etc.). They sent me letters to either retake them or withdraw. I mean, take Bio 1 again after getting that credited and getting an A in Bio 2 a here? I'm beginning to think that might be a major weakness. Unless I interview poorly, which to my knowledge doesn't seem so.

There you have it and if anyone has something better to help me plan out my future, please do not hesitate to advise. There must be light at the end of this dark tunnel.

What other programs are there like the one the NIH has?