To join or not to join APhA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minzi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will be able to get involved with any AphA events. But should I pay for that expensive dual membership anyway for the sake of my resume. Please give me an advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I stopped supporting APHA when they backed George Ryan as governor of IL solely because he is a pharmacist (he just got out of federal prison.) Does anyone really care if someone has membership in APHA on their resume? (granted I used to list it on my resume when I was a member, but that was when I right out of college and naïve, I don't currently list any of my pharmacy memberships on my resume.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped supporting APHA when they backed George Ryan as governor of IL solely because he is a pharmacist (he just got out of federal prison.) Does anyone really care if someone has membership in APHA on their resume? (granted I used to list it on my resume when I was a member, but that was when I right out of college and naïve, I don't currently list any of my pharmacy memberships on my resume.)

No AphA membership won't impress anyone. Save your money.

how about networking opps ??

If you aren't going to be involved, there's no point to joining and/or putting it on your resume. I was a member of so many organizations as a student. The money I spent wasn't worth it in the end.

Do you guys put the health fairs that we volunteered through organizations on CV ? That would be a lot of them and I don't know if they are important to be mentioned individually on CV.

I don't think I will be able to get involved with any AphA events. But should I pay for that expensive dual membership anyway for the sake of my resume. Please give me an advice.

Donate that money to charity instead.

I involved lots of community services and volunteers. At the end, when I went for the job interviews, the only thing they asked was... Have you done this before? or Do you know how to do it? They never asked me how much volunteers you have done, or community services you have involved.

Reactions: 1 users
The question "do you know how to do it" already implies how long you have been doing it? Dude there is different way of asking you the question. Signing up for the membership and ain't doing anything won't help you to answer that question either.

I stopped signing up for the student chapter after my first year of school. It was basically a subscription to one monthly pizza lunch / self-congratulatory student meeting.

Reactions: 2 users
time has changed. u might need to be more involve now to land those interviews. they might not ask u anything about it, but it may be the decision factor whether they interview u or the next person.

no... in fact, I make it a point to throw out resumes of anybody who is associated with APhA on the principle that they are donating to an organization that does nothing to improve our profession, except spew the same bs each year about how we are doctors when there are other pressing issues on hand.

Reactions: 2 users
It seems crowded when you put down all of your community services/projects on your resume.