To LOUPE or not to LOUPE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jk5177 said:
UCLA requires its first year students to loupe. I think.
If someone can confirm me on that would be great.

Yup, UCLA requires first years to buy loupes from 1 of 3 companies, Surgitel, Designs for Vision, & Orascoptic, after they make their presentations, allow you to try their samples and ask questions, and take your measurements. It is not included in your kit.

Use of loupes are strongly encouraged from the beginning. They will be delivered before you start operative. It seems that most chose through-the-lense, one has head mount, and I chose flip-up because my presciption may change in the future, I like to make adjustments between working in the mannikin and on the benchtop (angle of declination), and to flip them up, you can attach a flip-up handle and use an overglove or paper towel in the clinic to prevent cross-contamination when you need to adjust them. They are heavy, but there are double nosepads and I'm used to it now, anyway.

You'll make your own choices based on comfort, looks, style, field of vision, and optics quality. You can ask each vendor individually how they will handle exchanges if your choice doesn't work out for you.

I wish I could have bought Zeiss. I don't think they're plastic and they have an excellent reputation in fine optics. I try not to treat mine roughly.

Members don't see this ad.

Like was mentioned, at UCLA loupes are required and you are supposed to wear them at every possible occasion. They really drilled that home during pre-clinical operative in first year. They wanted us to get into the habit of wearing them so we wouldn't want to be without them later on. I like them. I've got a 2.5X and would happily increase that to a 3.5X.

My loupes are in for repair right now. I have been without them or ~2 weeks and I can hardly function. My back is KILLING me and clinic has been much more difficult because I feel like I can't see anything.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of higher mag loupes both because I would like the higher mag and also to have a backup pair. But you NEED at least one pair.