To NYCOM Students- did you have to take out private loans to pay for housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globalism

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be starting at NYCOM this fall. I just wanted to know if I would have to take a private loan out to pay for housing (about $800/month) or would the maximum Stafford (I think $38,500) cover tuition costs AND housing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep,

Take out a private loan. I did an extra $10,000. Live comfortably. The last thing you want to worry about is how you are going to pay your rent, or how you are going to eat. If you end up with extra at the end of the year, good. That just means you will have less to take out the next year.

Med school is stressful enough without worrying about that crap. I would recommend you use T.H.E. loans. They are very good and extremely easy to get. Also they have one of the lowest deferred and inpayment interest rates. The web address is: www.northstar.org

Good luck

DOnut said:
Yep,

Take out a private loan. I did an extra $10,000. Live comfortably. The last thing you want to worry about is how you are going to pay your rent, or how you are going to eat. If you end up with extra at the end of the year, good. That just means you will have less to take out the next year.

Med school is stressful enough without worrying about that crap. I would recommend you use T.H.E. loans. They are very good and extremely easy to get. Also they have one of the lowest deferred and inpayment interest rates. The web address is: www.northstar.org

Good luck

Thanks for the information. From its website, Northstar seems like a good lender. I just applied online. Thanks again.

No problem. Best of luck this coming year.