To pass/fail or to not pass/fail...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetRain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'll be applying this summer and I have a question about pass/failing the course. I'm taking a graduate course in biochemistry right now and pretty much I've taken on more than I can handle this semester.

As of now, my cGPA is 3.77 and sGPA 3.82. I think I have a pretty good chance of getting A's in all my other classes. If I get 4.0 this semester, it'll bump up my gpa to about 3.80 and sGPA 3.86. But with a B in the course, my gpa would go down to 3.75.
I know it's not that big of a difference but 3.7s and a 3.8 seems like SOME difference to me. So I'm thinking about pass/failing the course. If I ace all my other classes with this graduate course not counting towards my gpa, I can still make in the 3.80s.

I already talked to my professor about it. He's a very nice guy and told me that he assigns grades based on understanding and how hard I've tried. He said that he has to abide by the rules but will remember that we had this conversation.

What do you all think? Do you think pass/failing the course would look bad on my transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

do you go to brown? if it's a grad course, i don't see anything wrong with taking it p/f. esp if you've gotten good grades in all your other sci classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass fail. No need to potentially hurt your gpa. It wont look bad on your transcript IMO. I p/f a class in my last semester - no one cared

What is the general census on P/F courses? I'm taking a really intense 2-week history class and I'm nervous about screwing up my GPA with it. Would that be a situation where P/F would be okay? I am just NOT good with history at all. I assume it's obviously off-limits for science/math courses. But what about core/humanities?

I'm just curious, though, because my friend mentioned the possibility. If I were to do it, this would be the only class I would do it with. Thanks!

My understanding from previous threads on P/F is that if it's not BCPM , it's alright (especially if it is something like Theatre or a language course)

As long as it is not a prerequisite for medical school and you have demonstrated an aptitude for the sciences (a good MCAT and core curriculum would both show this), then schools could really care less what other courses you have taken or whether you have a couple P/Fs or Ws on your transcript. Just don't make it a habit.

I used my P/F credits to make my senior spring a bit more relaxed - no one cares.

Okay, thanks for the input!