To practicing dentists, is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't say if they thought that was at the start or peak of their career.

But at some point, they think they will be making $480,000...?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's worth it. It makes a good living. Though the issues of the field are growing.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kinds of issues?
It's been discussed here plenty of times. Debt is one. Then, saturation. A lot of dental school grads are coming out every year plus new schools are opening up in the near future. While the general U.S. population is getting poorer and poorer.

It's been discussed here plenty of times. Debt is one. Then, saturation. A lot of dental school grads are coming out every year plus new schools are opening up in the near future. While the general U.S. population is getting poorer and poorer.

True, but there is still plenty of opportunity. Our generation now has to be diligent about where we practice, how we handle our debt, negotiating fees etc... Gone are the days of graduating and putting up a sign with your name on it and being set. There is still plenty of opportunity to make an absolute killing, love your practice, change lives, do great work and give back - its just on us to be proactive and educate ourselves outside of Dental school

Reactions: 1 user
True, but there is still plenty of opportunity. Our generation now has to be diligent about where we practice, how we handle our debt, negotiating fees etc... Gone are the days of graduating and putting up a sign with your name on it and being set. There is still plenty of opportunity to make an absolute killing, love your practice, change lives, do great work and give back - its just on us to be proactive and educate ourselves outside of Dental school

Additionally, one also has to be aware of how they practice with respect to the fact that most practices these days have a large cross sections of ages that they treat. And how one approaches and interacts with someone in their teens verses someone in their 30's verses someone in their 70's often takes a completely different approach to explaining things in a way that relates to that specific patient. I can't tell you the number of times over the years that I've heard new patients come into my office, patients who have been living in the area for a long time and not just moved to the area, say that the reason they left their prior dentist was that they just couldn't relate to them anymore.... This is especially prevalent in situations where an office either brought a new associate in or had a change of ownership when a dentist retired and a new dentist (sometime a younger dentist and sometimes an older dentist) came in....

One of the keys to having a "successful" practice for sure is having the ability to quickly read and relate to the personality of a patient. Most successful dentists get this and can do this pretty seamlessly as they go from different patient to different patient to different patient. And it's a skill that requires one to think about things not just from your own person perspective on a topic, but often from a different perspective to allow the comfort and trust that often creates that good dentist-patient rapport that is needed.

It took me a number of years (and a few conversations with different mentor figures) to realize what effective patient communication actually is. These days, that means as my mid 40's male self, that sometimes I have to think like an early 20's female, other times I need to think like a crotchedy 80 yr old male, etc, etc, etc. If one just tries and look at communication from their own perspective, level of intellect and comfort zone, they're realistically never going to be viewed as a "good communicator" and that goes for not just the practice of dentistry!

Reactions: 3 users
Additionally, one also has to be aware of how they practice with respect to the fact that most practices these days have a large cross sections of ages that they treat. And how one approaches and interacts with someone in their teens verses someone in their 30's verses someone in their 70's often takes a completely different approach to explaining things in a way that relates to that specific patient. I can't tell you the number of times over the years that I've heard new patients come into my office, patients who have been living in the area for a long time and not just moved to the area, say that the reason they left their prior dentist was that they just couldn't relate to them anymore.... This is especially prevalent in situations where an office either brought a new associate in or had a change of ownership when a dentist retired and a new dentist (sometime a younger dentist and sometimes an older dentist) came in....

One of the keys to having a "successful" practice for sure is having the ability to quickly read and relate to the personality of a patient. Most successful dentists get this and can do this pretty seamlessly as they go from different patient to different patient to different patient. And it's a skill that requires one to think about things not just from your own person perspective on a topic, but often from a different perspective to allow the comfort and trust that often creates that good dentist-patient rapport that is needed.

It took me a number of years (and a few conversations with different mentor figures) to realize what effective patient communication actually is. These days, that means as my mid 40's male self, that sometimes I have to think like an early 20's female, other times I need to think like a crotchedy 80 yr old male, etc, etc, etc. If one just tries and look at communication from their own perspective, level of intellect and comfort zone, they're realistically never going to be viewed as a "good communicator" and that goes for not just the practice of dentistry!

That's a very good point, and I can see why that would be important. Having the ability to see things from different perspectives helps you engage with the patient better and build trust. May I ask how you learned to communicate effectively with people from different levels of intellect? I enjoy talking to people but I find it more difficult to talk to children and the elderly.

That's a very good point, and I can see why that would be important. Having the ability to see things from different perspectives helps you engage with the patient better and build trust. May I ask how you learned to communicate effectively with people from different levels of intellect? I enjoy talking to people but I find it more difficult to talk to children and the elderly.

Some of it came through trial and error (with plenty of "errors" for sure along the way!!). Much of it though came from actually REALLY listening to what my patients are saying and then having my response be at a level I read as appropriate to what I heard them say. This is a GREAT skill to develop for so many aspects of one's professional and personal life, especially when areas of conflict/disagreement arise! learn to ask a question of the person to better understand their viewpoint, rather than "double down" on your side of things.

Much of it is based on starting off with some basic "easy" question to them such as talking about how the weather is that day, or if a school aged child is in my chair, asking about how school is going, etc? And then based on how you read their answers, then go into the multiple ways you should have in your head about how to explain each and every procedure you do (for example you should be able to explain things at a say 1st grade level, a 5th grade level, a 10th grade level, a college level, and a professional level). Practice this skill, and then keep tweaking your response until you can see that the vast majority of your patients full relate to what you're explaining to them.... It takes time, and for many this is a skill that they do need to work on, but it pays off eventually

Reactions: 1 users