To re-take or not to re-take, that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
5

Members don't see this ad.
PS-10 VR-7 BS-10 WS-N: 27N

I wasn't surprised with my PS or BS because thats what I was getting on the practice tests I was taking. I had been getting 9-10 on the VR section on practice tests so the real deal was two points lower than my lowest score on a practice test. Heres my situation... I'm already taking a year off because I just finished my undergrad in May and I'm applying now, so I don't really want to wait until next year to apply. My question is whether or not I should retake in August or go ahead and apply with the 27N? I know I can improve on the PS/BS because I really didn't study as much as I should have, and I think that the VR was more of a fluke than anything considering my practice scores. I also hadn't looked at anything related to WS until the lunch break during the test which probably explains the 'N.' My state school (which I would like to attend) had an average of 31P, so I assume that there were some people with comparable MCAT that got in last year. My cumulative GPA is ~3.7 with a B.S.B in business double-major in finance/marketing from a top 20 business program and I completed all the pre-req's with a BCMP of ~3.8. I have approx 1 year of "research" experience on a behavioral-genetics study in the psychology department doing mostly data management, random projects, equipment calibration, study participant location (in other words I don't do any of the statistics). I have 100+ hours volunteering in a local emergency room, I've been involved in a fraternity for 3+ years (house manager, committee head, etc), I'm an avid snowboarder, deans list, honor society, plenty of major-related work experience, etc. My LOR's may be a little weak (haven't gotten them yet though) since I didn't know the profs as well as I wish I could in a class of 250-300 kids. Sorry for the long post, but that about sums of my application, so if you have any advice about whether to retake or just apply please let me know.
 

EddieIndy

Cardiology Fellow
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
523
Reaction score
1
I think you should apply, but still retake the August exam. If you can do better, you definitely try. 27 to 30 is a world a of a difference.
 

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
5
EddieIndy said:
I think you should apply, but still retake the August exam. If you can do better, you definitely try. 27 to 30 is a world a of a difference.

From what I heard if you check the box that says you'll retake in August, schools don't look at your application until after you get your results back anyways. Is there a disadvantage to applying with what I have right now and retaking in August??? i.e. Is it OK to apply with your current score as if you're not going to retake, but then retake in August and update your app then?
 

EddieIndy

Cardiology Fellow
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
523
Reaction score
1
kdburton said:
From what I heard if you check the box that says you'll retake in August, schools don't look at your application until after you get your results back anyways. Is there a disadvantage to applying with what I have right now and retaking in August??? i.e. Is it OK to apply with your current score as if you're not going to retake, but then retake in August and update your app then?
I'm not sure the Adcoms would really like that... You are right, they will wait for your MCAT scores, but if you apply now saying you are retaking, once your August MCAT scores are in (October 15th), your application will be immediately reviewed. If you apply later, your application will be severely delayed.
 

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
5
EddieIndy said:
I'm not sure the Adcoms would really like that... You are right, they will wait for your MCAT scores, but if you apply now saying you are retaking, once your August MCAT scores are in (October 15th), your application will be immediately reviewed. If you apply later, your application will be severely delayed.

When program deadlines say Nov 1st, is that for the primary application or for secondaries as well?
 

MadHopsMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
63
re-take. You can only do better....i would retake if a score lower than 7 AND a cumulative less than 30....27N with a 7 in verbal is just tough...schools just pass you over.

kdburton said:
PS-10 VR-7 BS-10 WS-N: 27N
 
Top