• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

kbdent

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on my pre-dental situation.

I am reapplying this coming 2010 cycle to CO- (my home state) , NE and AZ, none of which I was granted interview last time (although all three held on to my application for a long time, without giving me my rejection letter- which I am told is a good thing, as I was in the short list?)

I took the DAT and got the following:
PAT 17
RC 22
QR 15 ouch
GC 20
OC19
BIO 15 ouch
AA 18

Obviously Bio and QR killed me. I was averaging 21s on BIO in all my practice exams, so don’t know what happened on game day. Also, I suck at QR, so no excuse there.

Should I retake the DAT? Or would my time be better spent working on my GPA by taking some auxiliary courses. My GPA is a 3.2 (major GPA is economics – 3.6, science GPA – 2.9). Obviously this is a bit low, but I was not a science major.

I have heaps of dental experience, assisting, volunteering, dental aid work abroad ect. And also have excellent written references from professors.

What can I do additionally to get in!!?? Any feedback is appreciated

TeamGuo

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I would suggest a retake. Having more than 1 low score might stop you from gaining admissions. I think if you retake you can boost up your TS score which would look much better for your gpa.

Good luck.

Dentista08

looking for a practice!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
  2. Dentist
Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on my pre-dental situation.

I am reapplying this coming 2010 cycle to CO- (my home state) , NE and AZ, none of which I was granted interview last time (although all three held on to my application for a long time, without giving me my rejection letter- which I am told is a good thing, as I was in the short list?)

I took the DAT and got the following:
PAT 17
RC 22
QR 15 ouch
GC 20
OC19
BIO 15 ouch
AA 18

Obviously Bio and QR killed me. I was averaging 21s on BIO in all my practice exams, so don’t know what happened on game day. Also, I suck at QR, so no excuse there.

Should I retake the DAT? Or would my time be better spent working on my GPA by taking some auxiliary courses. My GPA is a 3.2 (major GPA is economics – 3.6, science GPA – 2.9). Obviously this is a bit low, but I was not a science major.

I have heaps of dental experience, assisting, volunteering, dental aid work abroad ect. And also have excellent written references from professors.

What can I do additionally to get in!!?? Any feedback is appreciated
Yes, you have plenty of time! do it! the 15s got to go and the 17 can go up a bit also.. you must have gotten a hard version..( i wonder how many there are?) But then again, for bio u have to know EVERYTHING and if you only took 2 req bio semesters that's not enough to know all the answers.. i felt they ask questions that you cant possibly answer unless you took genetics, endocrinology & anatomy.. get topscore & achiever, crack pat for the pat practice. Make notes of all the bio Qs on Aciever & TopScore (all the answers and explanations to the answers, draw pictures if you are visual) and read before bed each night until test day- it will stic in your head and you will do better!! Also if you have time watch all these videos & take notes http://science.nhmccd.edu/BioL/animatio.htm

About the Ads

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I would say get that Bio section up first. IMO, take a bio class (like physio) and take the DAT when the class is over. 2 birds one stone.
Get your science gpa up of course also. '

You can increase BOTH your gpa and your DAT, there should not be a tradeoff between the two.

zuma35

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
You definitely want to up that Bio score. I think if you read and know the Cliffs AP Bio book well, you'll do fine. Good luck.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.