To Retake or Settle?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by mpg03001, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mpg03001

mpg03001 New Member

Pre-Dental
    I took my DAT today and don't know, like a lot of other people, whether or not I should retake it. What do you think?

PAT 16-I only practiced with Kaplan and thought the real test was ridiculously hard
    QR 21-just like the Kaplan practices and I'm ok at math so that helps
    RC 18-used the passage mapping and ran out of time, should have just looked for the answers
    Bio 19-had to make educated guesses on many of the questions...beyond a point, I don't think any amount of studying can prepare you for the 40 questions that are going to be on your exam so you have to basically be super smart
    Chem 19-reasonable is all i have to say
    Orgo 20-thought all of the questions were fair and that you only needed to know a few basic concepts and the reactions to do well
    TS 19
    AA 19

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yeyyy

Yeyyy Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    if you're in the combined BS/DMD program, don't you just need to get like a certain AA (like 17+) to stay in the program? why would you need or want to take it again?

4. DDS:)

DDS:) Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    retake or not, really depends on which school u wanna go. With 19/19/16, u should be able to get in at least one school.

5. mpg03001

mpg03001 New Member

Pre-Dental
    The requirements for the combined program are a 3.0 science GPA, a 3.3 cumulative GPA, and 19s on the DAT with no section lower than an 18. So basically if UConn weights the PAT as half the test, I may not get in just because of that. UConn has very high standands for their students and I feel like this program is no advantage unless you are the model student. If UConn can get a student with higher GPAs and DAT scores, they will to make their school look good. Otherwise the dean said I am the poster child for involvement so I hope that scores me some bonus points.

6. Yeyyy

Yeyyy Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i suggest you take again and try to at least hit those minimum DATs. your GPA is fine to stay in the program, so that's pretty much the only thing holding you back. UConn is definitely a good dental school and if you're from CT or new england, the amount you save with tuition will be worth it. but... it's up to you, if you want the change of scenery or whatever, you can apply to one of those schools that'll cost you 3x as much.