To Screen or not to Screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there may be an obvious anwer to this question, but is it better or worse if a school screens?

If they don't screen, someone without a "perfect" GPA and/or MCAT may get a look that they wouldn't have otherwise, right?

If they do screen, someone with little to no real chance of getting in anyway doesn't have to blow the $$$ on the secondary app.

What do you think?

By the way, is case this makes you ask the obvious question and you haven't seen the most recent version of the thread: Schools That Screen

Members don't see this ad.

Schools definitely make more money if they don't screen. Whose to say the schools wont use a computer and cut off those less than average GPA's and MCAT scores after they sent in their 50-100 dollars?

I'm sure there are many schools that will take a look at the whole application, but I am also sure there are quite a few schools that take the money and then screen.

If they don't screen, someone without a "perfect" GPA and/or MCAT may get a look that they wouldn't have otherwise, right?

Not true. Virginia Commonwealth screens, and I certainly do NOT have the "perfect" GPA or MCAT (but I did take it again in August), but I got a secondary invite. My EC's are really pretty good, tho, and my GPA was screwed up from the first college try a number of years ago. My recent GPA is really pretty good. If VC screened on bottom-line numbers alone, I would not have received a secondary.

If the school screens based on more than just numbers, I say it's a good idea. If they only look at the bottom line number on the page, it's a bad idea. BTW, if they only screen based on numbers, what's the point of the AMCAS essay anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
BTW, if they only screen based on numbers, what's the point of the AMCAS essay anyway?

So the interviewer can get a quick look at you right before the interview :laugh:

-tx

i think that's exactly true. at my first interview, it was pretty apparent that my interviewer, right before interviewing me, glanced at my AMCAS essay just long enough to be able to ask a couple questions about stuff i mentioned on it.....i wouldn't be surprised if that was the only attention that school gave to my personal statement.

txguy said:
So the interviewer can get a quick look at you right before the interview :laugh:

-tx

Anyone else care to weigh in, please?

SailCrazy said:
Anyone else care to weigh in, please?

I think different people are going to answer your question differently...if you're a wonderful numbers applicant (high MCAT/high GPA) you probably want the screen so that it could help narrow down your secondaries...if you're an avg applicant or a below avg. applicant, the screen doesn't help you as much, and you'd probably have a more holistic view of your application.