To take calculus or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTC0821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I found out recently that it looks like most of the places I plan on applying don't require calculus and was wondering if there would be any benefit of taking it. At this point if I take it, the best it could do is raise my cGPA and sGPA by .01 assuming I get an A. As for physics, I took the algebra based version and got As in it so it isn't that math is very hard for me, but considering the cost of tuition and that I already have around 150 credits, at this point if I don't need a course, I'm not going to take it.

What I would like to know is, considering it would have a minimal impact on my GPA and I have all the requirements and most of the strongly recommended courses under my belt already, is there any reason I should take calculus? Would many adcoms consider it a good idea to do so or frown upon applicants who don't have it? Any output on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and responses

Members don't see this ad.

There is no reason to take calculus.

Reactions: 1 user
Take stats instead, if not already have.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you're certain none of the schools you could possible want to apply to require it.

You said most of the schools on your list don't require it. That needs to be none (i.e., if you don't take it, you won't be able to apply to any of those schools). Personally, when I was in your shoes I opted to take the calculus despite my AP credit so I could cast as wide a net as possible. Whatever you decide, check the MSAR to make sure you're completing the prereqs for anywhere you plan to apply, and make sure the list of schools for which you're eligible is long.

Last edited:
I took stats awhile back so my math requirement is filled at my school. Also, I said most of the schools that I'm looking at because I haven't gotten to checking every school I'm looking at applying to yet (finals week) but so far I'm more than half way through that list and haven't found any. Dartmouth requires one math course but said stats would cover it so so far, so good. Looking to save $1000 and my time if possible. Is there by chance anything like the MSAR available for DO schools? And is the MSAR just the information one can find on individual school websites or are there more features to it? I'm not applying until this coming June so I don't want to pay for it and have it expire on me before I'm done with needing it.

When you buy a MSAR subscription, it lasts for one calendar year so its definitely worth it. It has far more accurate data than school websites too (most useful is accepted vs matriculated MCAT, sGPA and cum CPA). Also has OOS interviews and matriculations data.

My major forced me to take Calc 1 and 2 because the math mafia got in there and had a say in the recommended academic plans of other departments. As if they didn't already have enough fun with the engineering and physics kids, they apparently felt the need to share their particular brand of love by inflicting themselves (and Newton and Leibniz and Taylor and MacLauren and the rest) upon us life sciences types.

I took Calc 1 and got an A. I’m gonna take Calc 2. I love math. If it makes almost no difference in your GPA (0.01 wow) then I wouldn’t do it. Whereas a B could take it down far more than that. Why risk it? It is recommended by some schools more than others. I know you’ve been looking at some school websites. Some schools highly recommend while others don’t really mention it. Depending on the schools you’re looking at you might wanna take it if they highly recommend it.

If you are absolutely sure that you won't be applying to a school that requires it, I wouldn't bother taking it. Use the time for something else.

If you do apply to a school that requires it you can either ask for an exception or take it during the summer before matriculation

If you do apply to a school that requires it you can either ask for an exception or take it during the summer before matriculation
Second this. I had to take Calc 1 for my major, but it's a waste if your school doesn't require it. If you end up applying to schools that want it, you can always take it pre-matriculation.