to take it or not to take it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanwaves

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping you guys can help me out here. I have a prematch offer for 2007 in internal Medicine at Lenox Hill Hosp, Manhattan, NY.... I also have a few university based hospitals that interviewed me and two really liked me, not sure about the third. Anyways, has anyone heard of Lenox Hill Hosp, or does anyone work there or know anyone who works there? If so, can you give me some feedback on whether I should go thru the match or take the prematch offer? I have to tell them yes or no by end of this week.. yikes1
Thanks in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought prematch offers where legal until Jan 31st because programs already sent in their quota to the nmrp.

Regarding advice... is it a program you like? was it in your top choices? how good is your chance in the other programs you interviewd at? have you heard from them? how strong is your application? what do you want to do in the future fellowship, academics...

Things to think about... Just dont go to a program you will be miserable at because you are worried about not matching.

Good luck

This program just sent out the contract to me (I received it two days ago). And I wasnt aware that the Programs submit their quota by Jan 31.
Anyway, honestly, I wasnt really interested in doing residency in the middle of NYC! Manhattan is nice, but I would prefer to be close to but a little out of the city. Almost all of the programs that I interviewed with said they see me as a good candidate, except for my Number one choice! they were nice, but neutral to all of the candidates. Two university programs actually sent me letters and cards after my interview! I am a foreign grad, but a USA citizen,. I do have good USMLE scores and research experience, so I suppose I am an ok candidate. And Lenox Hill was not and is not really in my top choice, (for reasons i cant come up with, although they were extremely nice!) Its a community hospital affilated with NY school of medicine. I am just scared of not matching... you know.. anything can happen or not happen!

Anything can happen, as you said. You have chance of about 85% to match in your top 3 even you do not take pre-match. Take many factors into consideration, then make decision. Good luck.

sounds like you answered your own question to me. if it's not among your top choices, say no thank you. while not matching would stink, you can alway scramble into an IM program somewhere. i think you have a reasonable amount of confidence in your application, which it sounds like you do, then trust the system. it's just conjecture, but i have heard that some community programs like to get their hands on as many FMGs as they can and really treat them like slave labor.

This program just sent out the contract to me (I received it two days ago). And I wasnt aware that the Programs submit their quota by Jan 31.
Anyway, honestly, I wasnt really interested in doing residency in the middle of NYC! Manhattan is nice, but I would prefer to be close to but a little out of the city. Almost all of the programs that I interviewed with said they see me as a good candidate, except for my Number one choice! they were nice, but neutral to all of the candidates. Two university programs actually sent me letters and cards after my interview! I am a foreign grad, but a USA citizen,. I do have good USMLE scores and research experience, so I suppose I am an ok candidate. And Lenox Hill was not and is not really in my top choice, (for reasons i cant come up with, although they were extremely nice!) Its a community hospital affilated with NY school of medicine. I am just scared of not matching... you know.. anything can happen or not happen!

I mentioned this in another thread about prematches in general.
I turned down a prematch offer earlier this year, and subsequently had a discussion with a number of my classmates and our consensus was that if it's not one of your top 3 choices, don't take it. The caveat being that this doesn't apply if either: your top 3 are "dream" programs you don't actually think you'll get in to, or most of your list is pretty much equivalent in your mind. It doesn't sound like either of those apply to you.
Try not to let fear get the best of you. It's one thing to add programs to the end of your ROL to avoid not matching; but to give up on your top choices altogether and take a sure thing you might not be happy with is a whole other ballgame.

Thanks guys so much!! I did not take the prematch. I know, I have heard that community programs really do take as much labor as they can from an FMG!
anyways... I ranked my programs, and I think I should have a decent chance to get into one of my top three, and if not, even four is ok too!
Thanks again!

Thanks guys so much!! I did not take the prematch. I know, I have heard that community programs really do take as much labor as they can from an FMG!
anyways... I ranked my programs, and I think I should have a decent chance to get into one of my top three, and if not, even four is ok too!
Thanks again!

Good Luck, if I were you I will take the offer!!!