To take or not to take--that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waytogo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)
I have been debating with myself for quite some time now on whether or not I should take the coming January exam or to take it in August...and it would help a lot to hear some advice on this.

I'm currently a senior, thinking of taking one gap year. I was suppose to start studying hardcore in September. But with classes, and with the sdn schedule being a lot more intense than I thought it was gonna be, I am wayyy behind my schedule right now. So, I came up with two options:
1. Just get a grip, be "in-humane" and really buckle down, and shoot for the January exam.
2. Take the exam in August (study MCAT over the summer after graduation), and take two gap years instead of one

The pros and cons I have thought over to myself was:

for option 1: I'll have no life, really need to buckle down, and may impact my GPA if I can't keep up with studying for both my classes and MCAT. I may need to revise the three month plan to fit my own schedule, which means I may be putting in less time for content review/questions, and do more work over the winter break. But I'll be able to take only one gap year off, and with competition getting harder every year (at least that's what I have heard), it may be better for me to apply earlier cycle than later. And I don't need to worry about MCAT after graduation, which could be brutal emotionally.

for option 2: I'll be able to focus totally on GPA and my honors thesis work. But taking MCAT in August may pose some risk in that if I end up bombing the test, then I may need to take MCAT 2015, which I absolutely don't want to do. And I'll need to take two gap years instead of one (which can be beneficial, but it was not what I had in mind).

You have no idea how many times I went back and forth between these two options...
Currently, from the three month plan, I have finished first chapters from BR and did the EK problems for those chapters. It would be awesome to hear any recommendations or suggestions!
And one thing that worried me was--if I do end up taking two gap years (meaning that I will be applying around June 2015), would my MCAT score from 2014 version be looked down on? Would they only accept MCAT 2015? :confused:
Thanks guys!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

The old MCAT score will not be looked down on once the new mcat comes in. I think they'll accept the old score for like 3-4 years after the new one is implemented for people who took it before the change.

The old MCAT score will not be looked down on once the new mcat comes in. I think they'll accept the old score for like 3-4 years after the new one is implemented for people who took it before the change.

Thanks for the info!

FYI you can take the old mcat in January 2015, it doesn't change til spring according to the aamc timeline that's posted on their site. So if you bombed August test you could retake the following January. Check on this first in case I heard wrong but I'm pretty positive

Members don't see this ad :)
That info was very helpful! thank you!
So I guess, it may be smarter to follow my gut, and make sure I'm confident that I have enough time to study to ace the exam? XP

That info was very helpful! thank you!
So I guess, it may be smarter to follow my gut, and make sure I'm confident that I have enough time to study to ace the exam? XP

You know yourself best! Really ask yourself if you can have no social life as a senior and do well enough on the mcat and your gpa that you are happy with both results. If you think you can manage an okay score while keeping grades up and not be burned out-then great! But I think if you have some doubt or are shooting for the top tiers it might be good to consider two gap years. That's what I did, and I'm really glad I got to enjoy my last year in college and to dedicate a summer studying for the mcat. The studying time with no distractions paid off for me and I was also able to focus on apps this year without worrying about school.

Btw, I also did the sn2ed plan and yes, it's quite time consuming and it's easy to fall behind schedule.