To take or not to take??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marchiafava

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I will be applying for neurology very soon as well as PGY-1 programs and I just registered for the USMLE step 2 to be taken between Aug and Oct. My step 1 score was 237 with 98% on COMLEX. I don't have any published research so I figured that I should take Step 2 and do well to just add to my application. My question is whether this is a good idea taking step 2, that is if for some reason I don't get at least a 237 on it? I saw that on Eras I don't have to automatically release my usmle scores? Does that mean that I can just send my step 1 score with eras and don't click automatically release scores and then I can decide whether or not I want to send programs my step 2 score or not?? How does this work for applying to Neuro programs?? If I get a great score that I want the neuro programs to see, how do I go about sending it to them?? Can I use CAS? Basically what I am asking is, if for some reason I don't do as well on step2 as I did on step1, is there a way that I can ensure that both internship programs and neuro programs don't receive it unless they specifically ask for it??? Thank you for your reponses.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is no. I was in a similar situation and did worse on Stpe 2 and that was something I had to explain on interviews. Take it after interview season - you don't need it with a 237 Step 1.

C

Before not taking it I would check with some of the programs. Some programs require your step 2 scores before they will consider you. So you might not have a choice but to take it. So contact a couple of programs you are interested in and ask if they require step 2 or not before consideration. It no then hold onto the 237 if yes you have your answer.

csullivan said:
Before not taking it I would check with some of the programs. Some programs require your step 2 scores before they will consider you. So you might not have a choice but to take it. So contact a couple of programs you are interested in and ask if they require step 2 or not before consideration. It no then hold onto the 237 if yes you have your answer.

This is good advice -- its always good to check, but other than the military, virtually no one requires a step 2 score for the match. Personally, as I see it you have nothing to gain by taking step 2. You did quite well on step 1 and doing well on step 2 will show them what they will assume -- that you are smart/good on tests. A bad score will make them question the step 1 result.

You real question should be, "why on earth do I want to be a neurologist?" :D

Ed

thanks for the responses. So since I already paid for step 2, would it be safe to say that I should just take the exam in late Dec or early Jan when interviews have already occured and that way it can't hurt me during the interview process and for those that require step2 I will have it and hopefully just before the match. Let me know.

Thanks

marchiafava said:
thanks for the responses. So since I already paid for step 2, would it be safe to say that I should just take the exam in late Dec or early Jan when interviews have already occured and that way it can't hurt me during the interview process and for those that require step2 I will have it and hopefully just before the match. Let me know.

Thanks

Take step 2. You'll do fine and it will help you as a D.O. in the residency application process.

With a 237 step I you won't need a step II to help you. However if you have already paid for it then just take it late and pick the option on ERAS to release your scores at your liking. Then only release your step I's.

Congrats on the great score.

edmadison said:
This is good advice -- its always good to check, but other than the military, virtually no one requires a step 2 score for the match. Personally, as I see it you have nothing to gain by taking step 2. You did quite well on step 1 and doing well on step 2 will show them what they will assume -- that you are smart/good on tests. A bad score will make them question the step 1 result.

You real question should be, "why on earth do I want to be a neurologist?" :D

Ed

Not quite true. While it is true that most programs do not require or even expect Step 2 before application season, there was a discussion in this very forum over the last year or two about NEUROLOGY programs which did require Step 2 for application. So best advice is to check as noted above.