to the neonatologists !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drenthu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey on an average does a neonatologist (private practice) earn more than a radiologist in private practice....
i know the difference in work hours but i am asking only from the financial point of view ....
please dont take me down on the issue of money(i know its not the only criteria for choosing fields).. i just want a general opinion...
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

hey on an average does a neonatologist (private practice) earn more than a radiologist in private practice....
i know the difference in work hours but i am asking only from the financial point of view ....
please dont take me down on the issue of money(i know its not the only criteria for choosing fields).. i just want a general opinion...
thanx

At the start of their career the answer is "no".

Later in their career, the answer is "no". Unless of course you are a neonatologist who sold out his practice for a large amount of money. Even then, I'm relatively doubtful.

If 95% of radiology is eventually outsourced to another country, the answer will be "yes" since it's relatively harder to outsource neonatology. But, I don't really believe that will happen.

I confess to a bit of curiosity about your selection of specialties to compare. I suppose it's possible to have a bigger difference in job description between two fields than neonatology and radiology, but it would take some doing (IR is a bit closer). Work hours are not the biggest difference between the fields.

As always you are so prompt ....thanx
I am sorry if i sound materialistic but then how do u compare it to internal medicine subspecialities barring cardiology in terms of monetary returns..
i have no doubt that i want to be a neonatologist but just trying to get an opinion as to where neonatologists stand in this race...
i understand that they are bunch of passionate people who are overworked and underpaid but is the monetary difference so huge that I might regret at a later stage ...

i understand that they are bunch of passionate people who are overworked and underpaid

?

I'm certain I've never described myself that way.:rolleyes: (Edit - I mean since I became an attending....)

Really, I neither see myself as overworked or underpaid. I do the job I like and have chosen to do, the hours are what I knew I'd have when I chose the job. These hours work for me/my family and the pay is appropriate in my view for the job I do. This is how I feel. Of course, others may believe differently.