To those applying to Michigan schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgeomally

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity,

For those who paid the $60 fee to MSU....how long did or has it taken to get a response on the status of your application?

And for WSU...do they really screen the primary apps? My secondary was dated like a day or two after I got verified...hmmm:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I paid the MSU fee... their essay really needs to be "define extortion". I can only assume I'm on hold there. My app status still says I'm under review. The only person I know who has an interview from them is someone with a 27 MCAT. so I looks like they're aiming for thier "target" students.

As for Wayne, I'd assume they're able to check your numbers quickly at this time of year... I had to wait a few weeks to get my secondary. Their interviews are another matter. I recieved my interview invitation with a letter dated the day after I put my secondary in the mail.

I have had both interviews at wayne and at msu. msu took a month and a half to get back to me after i paid their fee. wayne took about a week after I was complete to call and ask if I wanted to intervew before I went back to school, but I had already gone back. about 2 weeks after that, I got a packet from them with my interview date. So I guess wayne took 3 wks total to get me my packet. gl guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope this helps give a timeline

AMCAS Verified 6/16
Wayne:
7/14 said they received my primary
7/25 issued secondary (snail mail)
8/3 sent secondary
8/13 received interview invite (snail mail)

MSU:
7/11 received primary, asked for $
waited FOREVER
8/31 invited for interview/filled out secondary
Interview's this Tuesday, wish me luck!

But they're giving out interviews to more than just 27 MCATers, check out my MDApps. My theory is that they're looking for people with commitments to either primary care or the underserved.

What exactly do you mean by "target?"

Hope this helps give a timeline

AMCAS Verified 6/16
Wayne:
7/14 said they received my primary
7/25 issued secondary (snail mail)
8/3 sent secondary
8/13 received interview invite (snail mail)

MSU:
7/11 received primary, asked for $
waited FOREVER
8/31 invited for interview/filled out secondary
Interview's this Tuesday, wish me luck!

But they're giving out interviews to more than just 27 MCATers, check out my MDApps. My theory is that they're looking for people with commitments to either primary care or the underserved.

What exactly do you mean by "target?"

pretty much what you said... they're not just going for the high scores like Wayne is at the moment. I felt like the only one in my interview group who didnt have a UofM interview as well...

pretty much what you said... they're not just going for the high scores like Wayne is at the moment. I felt like the only one in my interview group who didnt have a UofM interview as well...

I always hear stories (or perhaps urban legends) of people not getting into Wayne becuase their MCAT is too high, and Wayne assumes they'll get into U of M and not attend Wayne.

I always hear stories (or perhaps urban legends) of people not getting into Wayne becuase their MCAT is too high, and Wayne assumes they'll get into U of M and not attend Wayne.

What was the top score at Wayne for the entering class?

That would be a good statistic to know, but I don't think it's published anywhere.

Yeah, I've been looking for it. The highest out of everyone that I know in the entering class is 32 (I know about 6 students that were Wayne undergrads). For sure it's higher than 32. I'll ask around.

Yeah, I've been looking for it. The highest out of everyone that I know in the entering class is 32 (I know about 6 students that were Wayne undergrads). For sure it's higher than 32. I'll ask around.

I have one friend who's SUPER smart, but had a bad interview at U of M and applied really late, so he ended up at Wayne. His MCAT was over 40, I'm just not sure exactly what it was though (he's still never given me the exact number, but he did give me a range).

I have one friend who's SUPER smart, but had a bad interview at U of M and applied really late, so he ended up at Wayne. His MCAT was over 40, I'm just not sure exactly what it was though (he's still never given me the exact number, but he did give me a range).

Where did he do his undergrad? I heard that UofM encourages their undergrads to matriculate at other colleges.

Where did he do his undergrad? I heard that UofM encourages their undergrads to matriculate at other colleges.

He's a classmate of mine at U of M who graduated in 3 years, graduating last year. I'd say that most schools discourage academic in-breeding, but not as much as other grad programs. U of M undergrads do make up a solid chunk of the over 40% in-state students at UofM Med. Let's be honest, they aren't coming from MSU, EMU, WMU, or Central.

If they arent taking that many from Wayne (I've heard that they're not too keen on admitting WSU students for whatever reason), then where do the rest of the in-state students come from?

Members don't see this ad :)
He's a classmate of mine at U of M who graduated in 3 years, graduating last year. I'd say that most schools discourage academic in-breeding, but not as much as other grad programs. U of M undergrads do make up a solid chunk of the over 40% in-state students at UofM Med. Let's be honest, they aren't coming from MSU, EMU, WMU, or Central.

yeah, I think that's my only real advantage coming from Albion...

but either way, a big piece of advice for your wayne interviews is to make sure you show interest and dont just act like a wayne is your safety. Personally, after four years in small town america, I'd love to be in detroit and live downtown, but for others the prospect scares them to be south of Oakland County. Dont act like the latter.

If they arent taking that many from Wayne (I've heard that they're not too keen on admitting WSU students for whatever reason), then where do the rest of the in-state students come from?

In-state people who went OOS for Undergrad. I usually think that U of M is a pretty good school, but was definitely put in my place at my interview chatting with everyone else who was from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Berkely, WashU, etc.

I know of a 39 in the current second year class who's there on one of the 3 full ride scholarships they give out per class.

In-state people who went OOS for Undergrad. I usually think that U of M is a pretty good school, but was definitely put in my place at my interview chatting with everyone else who was from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Berkely, WashU, etc.

Wow, I'd never thought of the people that did their undergrad OOS. But still, that wasn't any reason to be intimidated :p.

I know of a 39 in the current second year class who's there on one of the 3 full ride scholarships they give out per class.

Wow, how many half scholarships do they give per class? Do they give a 75% ride?

Wow, how many half scholarships do they give per class? Do they give a 75% ride?

who knows. all I know is that in the current second year class, 2 of the 3 full rides went to graduates of my HS. the other one that I know of was an Albion grad who had like a 30-32 or so but was involved in every extracurricular known to man. the 39 was from Notre Dame.

I only know of M1 student thats on half-ride and was a WSU graduate. It's still pretty nice to not have to worry about 50% of your expenses.

I had read about that whole mess a bit ago. I was almost going to ask about it iin my interview, but thought I'd better not shoot myself in the face - assumedly it's a touchy subject, but it's definitely making me wary to go to Wayne.

the touguides talked about it a bit during my tour and basically described it as a "pissing match". I find it hard to see the DMC staying open without Wayne around. everyone I talked to though, said that they thout a solution will be found eventually.

I had read about that whole mess a bit ago. I was almost going to ask about it iin my interview, but thought I'd better not shoot myself in the face - assumedly it's a touchy subject, but it's definitely making me wary to go to Wayne.

I actually went the other way with it and asked about it in a "so how is that thing going?" type of way. I just thought that if I wanted to show that I was actually was serious about going there that it would be something i would obviously want to know about(and since half the interview was him asking me what schools I've applied to/interviewed at, i could tell they had doubts about my desire for them). He explained that everyone thinks that it will get resolved and that they set a deadline in october so he should know before acceptances are out. He also said, worst case scenario, that the med school itself would be fine.

I was almost going to ask about it iin my interview, but thought I'd better not shoot myself in the face -

Whoa. Back in my day, the expression was shooting oneself in the *foot*. Things have gotten wilder...

I actually went the other way with it and asked about it in a "so how is that thing going?" type of way. I just thought that if I wanted to show that I was actually was serious about going there that it would be something i would obviously want to know about(and since half the interview was him asking me what schools I've applied to/interviewed at, i could tell they had doubts about my desire for them). He explained that everyone thinks that it will get resolved and that they set a deadline in october so he should know before acceptances are out. He also said, worst case scenario, that the med school itself would be fine.

and actually, my interviewer brought the situation up, now that I think about it. just a slight mention of it, but they're certainly not denying the problem.

I got a question regarding the MSU secondary. Their website suggests that anyone who is offered a secondary already is qualified or will be offered an interview. Are they asking for the $60 before they give you a secondary or interview now?

C.Koo

they charge 60 bucks for the chance for them to even look at your primary.

Whoa. Back in my day, the expression was shooting oneself in the *foot*. Things have gotten wilder...

I was contemplating it and went for emphasis. I felt like the med school application process brings things to a new level...

The current dean has proposed some solutions for the CEO of the DMC. The dean is hoping that he has addressed every issue and is waiting for feedback.

I have a quick Q about the WSU secondary for u of m students...under the general chemistry lab 2 requirement on the form, did u leave it blank or write something else? I noted my chem 125 course under gen chem 1 lab and am just wondering if you guys wrote anything for gen chem lab 2 or if admissions would just know about the unique u of m chem sequence.

I have a quick Q about the WSU secondary for u of m students...under the general chemistry lab 2 requirement on the form, did u leave it blank or write something else? I noted my chem 125 course under gen chem 1 lab and am just wondering if you guys wrote anything for gen chem lab 2 or if admissions would just know about the unique u of m chem sequence.

I was wondering about that too. I'm a biochem major though, so I had some random inorganic labs I could put in there. I'd go ahead and give Peggy Zitek a call, and otherwise, call Wayne Admissions.

I am a Fl resident that applied to MSU because I like the area up there, and I have enjoyed the school the few times I have been to it. With a 34 and a 3.45, and a decent amt of doc shadowing and volunteering, do I have any chance as an out of stater to get into MSU or to get an interview?

depends on what was on your AMCAS essay... if you hinted that you would enjoy serving underserved/rural population, I'd say you have a chance. thier interviews are just a crapshoot.

well even tho it's one class, 125 AND 126 should appear on your transcript. either way medschools (especially wayne) know about um's chem sequence

Hi!

I am from Michigan and my parents still live there but I have been living on the East Coast for about 6 years now (Undergrad, Grad school and now job). I am more familiar with the health issues in my current location than I am those in MI since I haven't been back very much. I have an MSU interview this week and wanted to know if anyone could give me some tips about what are the current hot topics in Michigan Healthcare. I have mixed feelings about coming back but the price difference between MSU and the other two schools to which I have been accepted is huge. Any thoughts? Anyone love MSUCHM who can give me some insight.

Thanks!

Hi!

I am from Michigan and my parents still live there but I have been living on the East Coast for about 6 years now (Undergrad, Grad school and now job). I am more familiar with the health issues in my current location than I am those in MI since I haven't been back very much. I have an MSU interview this week and wanted to know if anyone could give me some tips about what are the current hot topics in Michigan Healthcare. I have mixed feelings about coming back but the price difference between MSU and the other two schools to which I have been accepted is huge. Any thoughts? Anyone love MSUCHM who can give me some insight.

Thanks!

the more I look in to MSU and Wayne St., I'm leaning towards Wayne if I end up having the choice... MSUCHM sends you all over the state after your second year, and although Grand Rapids would be great, getting placed in to Flint or something would suck...
Also they have exams every week on mondays :eek: Wayne is more block based and have exams once a month with notes, old tests, and online lectures available... read: study from home :thumbup:

I've also heard Wayne St. students seem to be a lot less stressed their first two years than MSU kids... reputation wise, MSU might hold a better name purely based on the fact that people might confuse them with U of Michigan :laugh:
But seriously, MSU is a school on the rise and the GR campus shows a lot of promise. It's a Big Ten school, lots of research opportunities. The class seems to be very close knit and people are very supportive which can't be said about Wayne...
Also, I'm sure you know, but just to repeat, OOS tuition for MSU is close to 50k a year not including living expenses, etc... big ouch

Good luck, though

Quick question..i applied to MSU, and am out of state, my mcat is in the hight twenties, my grades are around 3.6 and i have a ton of extracurricular and volunteer. My primary and only focus is on peds and rural medicine and that's what it talked about in my essay. I interviewed yesterday at MSU and iloved it!. The school and community was awesome and the students and staff seemed happier than children at xmas. Do out of staters have a chance? And does my MCAT score matter anymore after i get to the interview point. I had great interviews but i'm kinda scared my out of state status will hurt me.

I think if they gave you an interview, you have as much of a chance as anyone... but damn the tuition OOS there is steep. (though if you really want to do primary care, you can probably pull off a committment scholarship type thing.)

I also interviewed yesterday, and I had a question about the phone call Dr. Schafer is suppose to give us if we are accepted...since they meet every tuesday to review our files, does that mean ANY tuesday night we may hear from her? or just the 19th? since she said they will post our status on Dec. 20the online....

At lunch, one of the students told me that if we were accepted and they had the time and really liked us they would give us a call this coming tuesday night...or i suppose it could be any tuesday night. But he made it sound like this coming. I guess they only have four interview days in a month. So they'll meet about all of us. Its exciting...but nerve racking at the same time.

oh wow...are you serious? I am going to be waiting this tuesday night i think....lol. I guess that makes sense though, if they only have interviews on thursdays, then every tuesday night when they meet they will discuss the past weeks interviewees.

Hopefully we will hear some good news next week!

oh wow...are you serious? I am going to be waiting this tuesday night i think....lol. I guess that makes sense though, if they only have interviews on thursdays, then every tuesday night when they meet they will discuss the past weeks interviewees.

Hopefully we will hear some good news next week!

Don't be too upset if you hear nothing for months though. They sometimes are random with when they review you after interviewing and it's possible you won't hear for months. Someone last year interviewed at this time and didn't hear back until February. However, people in the same interview group heard back the next week. It had no outcome in the decision though as the longer wait turned into an acceptance and the quick turnaround decision was a waitlist.

Anyone here from MSU recently? Do they give out interviews in bunches or did they pick people one at a time and update the website? Also, did you get an email when they gave you an interview?

Also for Wayne, what interview dates are they offering right now?

Thanks in advance for any insights