To those familiar with the D.C. area...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty one

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
or those of you interviewing at George Washington....which is the easiest, closest airport to fly into?

Members don't see this ad.

probably reagan national...you can metro straight to foggy bottom.

Lived in DC for several years so here goes, Reagan would be easiest to fly into and get to GW BUT WOULD BE EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. Reagan tickets seems to be about 100-200 bucks more than BWI or Dulles. Dulles is sorta a pain because you gotta get a cab back into DC from Virginia, which would also be expensive. BWI has a ton of flights and most are pretty cheap, ALSO BWI has a nice door-to-door airport shuttle service for about 25-30 dollars (much cheaper than a cab). BWI is also accesible by train and that would take about an hour and cost about 15 bucks. The easiest would in my opinion be BWI or Reagan. Cab from Reagan to GW would be about 20 bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply guys.

My tickets from reagan national were actually cheaper than the other two airports. Of course, I live in Atlanta where Airtran is based, but check out airtrans fairs if they go to your city. The metro accessibility of national can't be beat.

W222 said:
Lived in DC for several years so here goes, Reagan would be easiest to fly into and get to GW BUT WOULD BE EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. Reagan tickets seems to be about 100-200 bucks more than BWI or Dulles. Dulles is sorta a pain because you gotta get a cab back into DC from Virginia, which would also be expensive. BWI has a ton of flights and most are pretty cheap, ALSO BWI has a nice door-to-door airport shuttle service for about 25-30 dollars (much cheaper than a cab). BWI is also accesible by train and that would take about an hour and cost about 15 bucks. The easiest would in my opinion be BWI or Reagan. Cab from Reagan to GW would be about 20 bucks.

I call absolute BS on this one. First of all I lived in Baltimore this past year and made several trips back and forth between Balto and DC.

1. Do not fly into BWI if you want to be in DC. Depending on time of day the trip can take 45 minutes to the heart of DC to 2 hours if traffic gets horribly bad.

2. Reagan is the easiest and most convienent. If it costs more than $100 more to fly into Regan than Dulles (or BWI-but you're ******ed if you fly to BWI) then I might consider changing venues.

3. Metro is easy. From the Airport all you'd ahve to do is take the Blue line from Nat'l Airport to Foggy Bottom. Once up on street level the Hospital is a mere block away. It's extremely easy and wouldn't cost more than $2 (unless you go during rush hour then it might be around $2.50. The metro is nice and clean and safe (as long as you aren't on it during the wee hours of the mornign then you might see the crazies)

4. Do NOT fly into BWI.

5. Check studentuniverse.com for flights into Reagan (assuming you are a student). I managed to get tickets this summer for under $100 to NYC from Reagan (non-student price was around $225).

6. Do NOT fly into BWI.

Why is BWI so bad? You can take the marc to Union Station, and take the metro straight from there to GW. Thats not that difficult....especially if it saves you couple hundred.

For you D.C. experts, which airport do you recommend for Georgetown?
Thanks!

Georgetown...I still say Reagan. Unfortunately GT is not on a metro line (yet) and it's at least a mile walk from the nearest stop (Foggy Bottom).

Just be warned, taxis and rental cars will cost a bundle and parking is at a premuim sometimes.

injera said:
Why is BWI so bad? You can take the marc to Union Station, and take the metro straight from there to GW. Thats not that difficult....especially if it saves you couple hundred.

For one, if you arrive on a weekend the train service SUCKS ( I would say nonexistant, but I think they changed that).

Also if you do take the train you are on their schedule, miss a train and you may wait a while for another, and if you don't time your schedule right miss a flight. If it saves you a couple hundred then I'd consider it, but I doubt there would be that much a difference in pricing between the three airports unless there's somethign huge going on in DC or unless it's a last minute sort of thing.

For those who ever want to go to DC for any interview at a DC school. I highly recommend Reagan (DCA).

John Deere Gree said:
For one, if you arrive on a weekend the train service SUCKS ( I would say nonexistant, but I think they changed that).

Also if you do take the train you are on their schedule, miss a train and you may wait a while for another, and if you don't time your schedule right miss a flight. If it saves you a couple hundred then I'd consider it, but I doubt there would be that much a difference in pricing between the three airports unless there's somethign huge going on in DC or unless it's a last minute sort of thing.

For those who ever want to go to DC for any interview at a DC school. I highly recommend Reagan (DCA).

That's right, I forgot the Marc does not run on weekends. And Amtrak can be a bit pricey. Fly into Reagan and cab it for georgetown. Cabs function on a flat rate based on zones, so your fare wont be affected by traffic or whateer.

For the record there is also a Metro bus, B30 I think it is, that runs every 45 min or so from BWI to Greenbelt metro station on the green line. If you don't have a lot of luggage but do have the time, the round trip from BWI to Foggy Bottom costs ~$12.

Plus you get to see scenic Prince George's County, Maryland.

fakin' the funk said:
For the record there is also a Metro bus, B30 I think it is, that runs every 45 min or so from BWI to Greenbelt metro station on the green line. If you don't have a lot of luggage but do have the time, the round trip from BWI to Foggy Bottom costs ~$12.

Plus you get to see scenic Prince George's County, Maryland.

Scenic?!?

Nothing like watching trees go by as you fly down 95 or 295.

John Deere Gree said:
I call absolute BS on this one. First of all I lived in Baltimore this past year and made several trips back and forth between Balto and DC.

1. Do not fly into BWI if you want to be in DC. Depending on time of day the trip can take 45 minutes to the heart of DC to 2 hours if traffic gets horribly bad.

2. Reagan is the easiest and most convienent. If it costs more than $100 more to fly into Regan than Dulles (or BWI-but you're ******ed if you fly to BWI) then I might consider changing venues.

3. Metro is easy. From the Airport all you'd ahve to do is take the Blue line from Nat'l Airport to Foggy Bottom. Once up on street level the Hospital is a mere block away. It's extremely easy and wouldn't cost more than $2 (unless you go during rush hour then it might be around $2.50. The metro is nice and clean and safe (as long as you aren't on it during the wee hours of the mornign then you might see the crazies)

4. Do NOT fly into BWI.

5. Check studentuniverse.com for flights into Reagan (assuming you are a student). I managed to get tickets this summer for under $100 to NYC from Reagan (non-student price was around $225).

6. Do NOT fly into BWI.

This is 100% correct! :)

injera said:

I completely agree. I routinely fly from Boston to BWI and I am at Union via the MARC usually within 1 hour of landing. From BWI to Dupont Circle, 1 hour 15 minutes on average. The train from BWI to Union costs $6.00.

You can get to GW from any of the airports - Reagan, Dulles, or BWI. If you can save big at any particular airport, use that one, and then go to wmata.com to find public transportation to GW.

SanDiegoSOD said:
You can get to GW from any of the airports - Reagan, Dulles, or BWI. If you can save big at any particular airport, use that one, and then go to wmata.com to find public transportation to GW.

Ther walk from Foggy Bottom to Georgetown is not horrible if the weather is decent outside...worth the 15-20 nice walk vs paying $40 for a cab from the airport. From Dulles there is an $8 couch bus that takes you to Falls Church, VA and you can Metro in. That is usually the best way to go. If you must take a shuttle, try SuperShuttle...about $30 one-way and they are door-door 24hrs a day. Good luck!!

reagan all the way. what little you save, in my experience, is made up in stress of buses and cabs something you might not like during interview times. fly directly into reagan, take the metro to foggy bottom, go up the escalators and there you have it, GWU. when i first flew out there i flew into dulles, big mistake. never flew into anywhere else, unless i had to. oh, and you get to see the monuments from the air :p

W222 said:
Dulles is sorta a pain because you gotta get a cab back into DC from Virginia, which would also be expensive.

Actually you can take the Washington Flyer Bus service from Dulles to Westfalls Church, VA which is on the orange line and you can take that to Foggy Bottom. The entire trip should cost about 15 bucks.

John Deere Gree said:
Georgetown...I still say Reagan. Unfortunately GT is not on a metro line (yet) and it's at least a mile walk from the nearest stop (Foggy Bottom).

You could take the metro to Rosslyn station and catch the GUTS bus (Georgetown University Transist Service) it picks up outside of the rosslyn station and drops you off at GT. It costs $1 for non-students.