to those of you who've reapplied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
either med/osteo/dental, whatever...

I know it's different for each school, but did some just let you send you their recent transcripts, new recommendations and a new essay, instead of reapply through aamcas,aomcas, or aadsas? It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper that way and I was just wondering how many schools would let you do that (one school I am talking to right now said I would be able to do that)...that would be nice...anyone go through this experience?

PS Kutastha (Andrew): I've been following your posts and I'm sorry about the badluck w/the schools...keep your head high, you are so persistent, I know things will work out eventually :)

Members don't see this ad.

i can only speak for AMCAS, but it's impossible to reapply and bypass them. this is not only because they govern over the whole application process, but also because as far as i know, school don't keep application files from one year to the next. there are a few schools that will allow you to use last year's *secondary* if you previously applied the year before (implying that they hold secondary app info for one year--but you still have to submit AMCAS) but beyond that, everything must be submitted again. i don't think you could do it with AMCAS...but you're right, we'd save a heck of a lot of money!

For all of my schools I had to resend everything...including my undergrad premed committee letter...then I had to send new letters talking about what I am doing now and new transcripts. I don't know about DO schools 'cuz I didn't apply there the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, they all want a new AMCAS. Even if some didn't...it wouldn't be enough for a reasonable number of applications. It was a wonderful thought though. :)

Hey simseema - thanks for the kind words! :)

They want you to do everything over. Most schools keep a file, but for AMCAS, you need to resubmit your transcripts anyways. AMCAS schools won't let you bypass AMCAS (at least the ones I've tried). And I think many schools may keep your files. When I was in Hawaii, the Asst Dean said that he saw that I had reapplied, but couldn't check out my previous app because they only keep them for three years.

Plus - do not send the same essays! If you were rejected before, you may want to touch it up, and talk about what you've done for a year.

And as far as recs - I'd think about which ones may not have written a glowing report of you and which ones may have. You never know - a rejection may have just come down to an unsavory recommendation.

Of course, I'm a third time applier, so who knows how far this advice would go. I guess I've learned from past mistakes. :)

Andrew