To those studying in the UK:

Started by aadigi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aadigi

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I've applied to RVC this cycle and at the moment it is my top choice (I've always wanted to travel and loved London the last time I visited). I was wondering if any of you current/past students could tell me about your experience abroad. Is it very different from the US (socially and academically)? Would you recommend traveling for school? 🙂 I'd love to hear what everyone thinks as I'm considering moving to London when I graduate/if I don't ultimately get into vet school. Thanks all! 😍
 
I've loved it, definitely recommend it. I chose RVC because 1. They accepted me (and I got wait-listed at the one other school who liked me) and 2. the travel opportunities. Personally, I haven't taken advantage of the travel as much as I would have liked, but I have seen way more than I would if I went to school in the US. The UK teaching is different, so that takes some getting used to. And it kinda sucks living there because you end up missing a lot (weddings, babies, family things, etc). But in the long run, best four years of my life so far.

And yes, search bar is your friend. Lots of previous threads about the pros and cons of UK schooling.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! and I did go through past forums, but was hoping to get more information on what people think of the people/cities where they are. Beyond vet school, I'm thinking of moving abroad once I graduate and would love to know some views on the major cities. (While the other boards were helpful, they don't discuss much beyond applying/studying.) 🙂
 
Sadly, no dual citizenship (that would make things a million times easier.) I'll have to apply for a work visa and that whole process. (not fun, but worth it.)
 
Yeah the work visas are a massive pain. I just finished up a masters at the RVC and had an additional 4 months after graduation to stay on my student visa which lets me work. I found a research job easily for that 4 month period, but had zero luck finding anyone to sponsor me for a long term visa, which was a massive bummer since I love it here and wanted to stay. You only need to find a job that pays £20,300, but they have to be an approved sponsor and you have to pass a 'resident labour market test' and a few other things, which most companies don't necessarily want to have to do when they could easily hire a brit. It's certainly not impossible to do, as I had one or two friends who pulled it off, but it'll be difficult if you're a recent graduate without much work experience. Also one thing to consider is that if you're sponsored, your employer knows you are dependent on them for your visa (if you're fired I think you essentially lose your visa straightaway), so chances of getting a promotion or anything like that are usually out the window.

One thing you may want to consider if you really want to come over to Europe is a working holiday authorisation? The UK doesn't have one for Americans, but Ireland does, as does one or two other countries. The Irish one lets you come over and obtain casual employment for a year, as long as you are a recent graduate of another degree (graduated within one year). My UK visa is expiring next week, so I'm actually planning to move to Dublin next month on a working holiday authorisation until I can switch back to a student visa for vet school. If you have any specific questions about that route, feel free to PM me and I can tell you more about it. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Cyndia, thanks so much for the advice! I'll have to look into that, I wasn't aware they had that option. 🙂 Research time!