To those that got into Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay to those folks that got into Mayo (MPP) can you please give us some tips. I will be applying next year and Mayo is my first choice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost: show up at the interview wearing only a grass skirt and coconut halves on your breasts. They seemed to love that and they're still talking about it...

Honestly, it is difficult to say and I think everyone has a bit different story. The many tips on this website that people give for getting into any medical school seem appropriate.

Obviously you'll first need the scores (GPA/MCAT) to get the phone interview (I've heard of non-URM getting a phone interview with a 3.5/30). Then impress them in the phone interview to get an on-site interview. Here are some tips for the interviews and personal statement.

Research both the Mayo tradition and the city of Rochester. I think they want people that understand the values on which the clinic and school were founded and people that follow those values in their personal lives. At the interviews be excited and positive about Mayo and Rochester. Mayo is extremely professional (e.g., the doctors at the clinic wear business suits, not scrubs or white coats) so be sure that you can relate to that and comment on what being a professional means. Know what it means to be a physician...the good and bad aspects. At my interviews I was never asked about any "big picture" topics (i.e., managed care, the un-insured, medical ethics, etc.). But rather, the questions and discussions seemed to focus on my personal background (i.e., life lessons that I've learned and how I've learned them), goals, and values and how they fit into medicine as a career.

MPP thanks for the insight on Mayo. I have already been very fortunate to have spent one summer there doing research. I love the Mayo way and cannot wait to apply there. They have invited me again but I could not make it there this summer due to some family trauma. I am planning on going there again possibly next summer and doing research. Everything about Mayo and Rochester is very appealing to me. I am a non-trad (OPM list) and have two children so I welcome the small town perspective that Rochester can offer me. I am very happy to hear that you were accepted and will be going there this fall. Hopefully if I go next summer we can meet at their beautiful library.. :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
One more note I should add about Mayo is their emphasis on teamwork: the receptionist, the nurses, technicians, physicians, administrators, et. al, are there for one purpose; to serve the patient's needs.

Yup I saw that for myself and was highly impressed by that. Everyone at Mayo is very *important* from the physician to the person that makes sure that everything is nice and clean. I was prior military so that is one thing I look for.

Hi efex,
My impression of the inteviews with Mayo is that understanding and embracing the Mayo philosophy to medicine is very important. The telephone interview was more thought provoking than the in-person interviews for me, and you can get an idea of what to expect if interviewfeedback ever goes back up. The on-site interview was basically "tell me about yourself" and "why Mayo", whereas the phone interview is all over the place, and quite ethics and situation based. They do seem to like high GPA's based on the stats I've seen (even as compared to other schools of the same caliber), but in my case I was accepted with a GPA that was low relative to my MCAT. Definitely profess your enthusiams for the school at the interview--they seem to be very big on students who have Mayo as their first choice (as do many other schools, of course). Good Luck!! Feel free to PM if you want any more info.

Thanks alpha I am assuming that Mayo is your first choice and you will be matriculating there. What other schools did you apply to and is there anything that you did not like about Mayo?