to those who finished their pre reqs

Started by anniemal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anniemal said:
how long did it take you to finish them?

3 years. I had to keep working full time (50 hrs/week) and have 3 small kiddos so I only took 1 science and 1 lab each semester with one semester used to get my EMT certification and a semester off for the MCAT.

I started out wanting to get done in 1 year, but the reality of having other responsibilities set in quick and my wife and I decided that temperance was a better approach. It worked out well for us.
 
It took me one year. I quit my job and was a full-time student, starting with the summer of 2004 and ending in spring '05.
 
When I finish in May it will have taken 2.5 years.

While working full-time in IT (45-50 hrs/week + 1 hour commute to school):
Spring 04 - Physics I & Lab
Summer 04 - Physics II
Fall 04 - General Chemistry I
Spring 05 - General Chemistry II

Quit the job and am in school "full-time" (technically, half-time but you will study as if you're more than full-time)
Fall 05 - Biology I, Organic Chemistry I, Bio Lab
Spring 06 - Bio II, Orgo II, Orgo Lab (+ MCAT or DAT, I'm still undecided)

Sprinkle in some volunteer hours into the mix too.