Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

To Those With Acceptances...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by adizz mfresh, Dec 15, 2008.

1. adizz mfresh

adizz mfresh not set up to mold rubber
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    To those of you who are fortunate enough to hold an acceptance, how much emotional attachment do you feel the to the first school that accepted you?

For me it's quite a bit because it has been more than a month since my acceptance without hearing any good news.

Opinions on the subject are welcome.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chiz2kul

chiz2kul t.roll.ed for Banning
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol none cos the first school that accepted me was like hmmm 70K/yr, and the next was substancially less :D

4. Isis24

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A lot. Because they loved me and nobody else did :( I feel a bit bitter toward the rest. lol

5. Proctodoc

Proctodoc Via backside attack
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel emotional attachment to every school that accepted me because although I understand I merited the acceptance, I always remember that there is a large pool of qualified and deserving applicants and they chose me. I am honored to have been accepted anywhere at all. The first school that accepted me was the first school to give me an interview invitation as well, so that a snapshot of that first interview invite e-mail is still vivid in my mind and the excitement of that first acceptance was more emotional than the acceptance to my first choice school, so yes I do have emotional attachment to my first acceptance but more so, gratitude.

6. aznb0y129

aznb0y129 Oh hamburgers!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I would say a lot simply because it's my only one so far, lol. But also, it was definitely in my top 3 choices for school anyway (close to home, cheaper tuition, etc.) so I'd say there's about a 70% chance I'm going to attend right now.

7. DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby Grand Master
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    frankly, im surprised more schools are barging down your door to get you to interview...

anyhow, as to your question: I do feel attached to my first acceptance to some degree (it has been amongst my top choices since late spring). I am still waiting on FIU (I have already interviewed and been waiting for 3 months now) to see if I get accepted there or not. And despite my earlier judgements on schools in cold weather, I am actually very excited to be going to an interview in a very cold place soon.

While it is nice to have choices, there is a phenomenon referred to as the "Paradox of Choice" as espoused by psychologist, Barry Schwartz. I have been quite stressed out by all the options I have been given and I just want this to end as soon as possible. :oops:

8. Morozovo

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel ya. We are in at the same school, and I feel a ton of appreciation towards it. Not only was that acceptance a huge confidence boost for me, but it means a lot that they liked me enough to accept me on the first possible day.

Even if it's not the highest ranked school or whatever that I end up getting in to, I will definitely attend second look and give it serious consideration.

9. ButImLETired

ButImLETired Prodigal member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Qft. I find myself in the disgustingly lucky position to have to make an impossible choice. The first school that accepted me was my first interview invite, first interview, and obviously first acceptance. It wasn't in my top 5 before I interviewed, but after the interview it shot up to my top 3. The other school I'm seriously considering was in my top 5 before the interview and I was not disappointed. I'm still waiting to hear from 2 schools post-interview and both of THEM are in my top 5 as well. I have no idea what I'm gonna do (and yes, believe me, I realize how hateful I am for whining about making this decision...you'll all have to do it too, though!)

And I'm totally bitter toward the one school that waitlisted me. Hmph! :laugh:

10. fahimaz7

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    EDP so very attached!

11. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Very attached- I wanted to go to my first acceptance school more than words could express- it was close to where I grew up and family and just seemed right- the feelings were confirmed with my interview...

And then I got a acceptance with scholarship! I haven't even got an interview from my state school so I am holding out just a lil for them but I doubt I would accept.

Oh and my family who has ties to where I got accepted (1 went to law school there and cousin is currently at undergrad) have already sent me t-shirts, bumper stickers etc for the medical school :)

12. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Pretty attached but mostly because they got back to me in less than a week from my interview!

13. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was extremely attached to my first acceptance. I interviewed at that school as a safety school. It was my first interview and my first acceptance. Post interview I loved the school. However, I ultimately gave it up. It was difficult.

14. Demas567

Demas567 Member
    7+ Year Member

Getting your first acceptance is like loosing your virginity. It's a big event.

15. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was happy to be accepted, emotionally attached would be going a bit far.

16. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    And then you post about it on SDN :eek::smuggrin::D

17. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    a lot, because it means i am becoming a doctor regardless of anything that happens for the rest of the application cycle. my first interview >> first acceptance. i would think this should be the same for everyone. if you have one acceptance = you will become a doctor. well, at least for me, i feel good and now i have no need to look for a plan B. i am definitely very grateful for everything :D

18. CuyahogaMD2B

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Actually, I don't hold much emotional attachment to the school that accepted me first. It was my number 3 acceptance (Hopkins) that keeps me glowing. I am almost done with interviews and I am happy that the holidays are here. It's been stressful.

19. hoya09

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I am in LOVE with my first acceptance school.. In fact, I'm slowly withdrawing other apps, starting wit the bottom of my list. I think my case is a little different though, for a combination of the following reasons:

-it was among my top choices to begin with
    -I always thought I'd fit there, since Soph year UG
    -it was my first (and as of yet, only) interview and acceptance
    -they might let me do an MD/PhD in Linguistics
    -my bf is a first year there, we're getting engaged
    -etc, including personal phone call acceptance, discouraged mood right before getting accepted...

Yea- I'm pretty attached :love:

20. bozz

2+ Year Member

none b/c first school that accepted me asked me to pay $200k upfront

21. paradisedoc

paradisedoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It has been 35 years since I applied to medical school, and eventhough I did not attend my "first acceptance" school, I continue to this day to have very warm feelings for it.

22. htownpremie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I heard back from 5 texas schools in one day...hrm. Ouch?