To whom should I address the letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praying mantis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where should the letter of intent be sent? To the admissions office? the dean? And to whom should it be addressed?

Also, did most of you type or write the letter?

Members don't see this ad.

varies school to school - i'd try to contact a med student and ask them what to do. at some schools, the dean, at others it's the committee.

when in doubt, i'd say 'ladies and gentlemen of the admissions committee" or "sirs or madams" or something like that. i typed mine and i might suggest doing that because you don't want to just say 'hey, i'd like to go here'. i'd write a brief synopsis of WHY. anything longer than a few lines in someone's handwriting is annoying for a committee of people to read.

What school? Some of us 2Xers can look at our old rejection letters and tell you who sent them. Then you can find out if that person still holds the position.

That's what I would do.

Should I burn my rejection letters or keep them to look back on?

Members don't see this ad :)
i burned mine. very cathartic, but i hurt my thumb.

is this a letter of interest of a letter_ I WILL MATRICULATE

i was talking to my advisor about this and she said these letters do not help until after the first round of admissions, in other words, these only help for the waitlist. oh well, couldn't hurt.

The letter will be going to UCONN

I can't help you with that school, but hopefully someone can.

Send your letter straight to the Dean of Admissions. If you've had an interview (and it went well), it may not be a bad idea to write your interviewer too. I don't know much about UConn, but if you want to send this kind of letter, the dean should be the person to read it.

Seems a little early in the admissions season to be sending a letter of intent... like other people have said, these letters don't normally go out until applicants show up on waiting lists.

Best of luck!

I would actually just use the regular address that you find in AMCAS. That way, you could call them up in a week or two and ask them if they got the letter of intent. It would probably help that you tried to contact more than once.

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•Should I burn my rejection letters or keep them to look back on?•••

My friend doing her residency at Mayo-Jacksonville only recently got rid of hers. She applied twice and liked looking at them--especially after matching at Mayo! I still have all of mine from last year (and will keep mine from this year as well). I like to go back and look at the grammatical error in the rejection letter from USC. It makes me smile.

send to "The Admission Committee" : they are the ones who review your application. not necessarily the dean