To work or not to work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oonasna1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm doing a second degree because I didn't get any luck with post-bacc programs. I took chem and phys this semester and It was pretty rough with school along with personal issues. will be taking part 2 of each in the fall. Would you advise trying to work again with the heavy load. This second degree is my last shot at proving I could handle the science courses but I'm 23 and I feel like I need to work.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can afford not to work, then don't. Focus on school. Getting straight A's is a full time job in itself. I wish I can afford not to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking, how students prepare themselves for finance if they don't have anything other than loans for post-bacc premed. Some tuition are as high as US$80K. It looks like, one will have to work if they are not from rich family nor if they don't qualify for scholarship. Working will prolong the studies though if you want A because you can only focus on a few subjects.
In your case, if you are working and it is affecting your grades not to get As, better to get scholarship or loan. I know degree programs can get loan or you can check the scholarship funds but you have to apply fast.

Hey guys

I'm doing a second degree because I didn't get any luck with post-bacc programs. I took chem and phys this semester and It was pretty rough with school along with personal issues. will be taking part 2 of each in the fall. Would you advise trying to work again with the heavy load. This second degree is my last shot at proving I could handle the science courses but I'm 23 and I feel like I need to work.

Do you plan on taking 4 classes per semester if you don't work? Do you work full-time or part-time? Try a very organized schedule, if you haven't. I have to pay cash for my DIY postbacc (couldn't get a loan) so I have to work part-time and it has actually helped me focuse and discipline myself. I know I can't wait until the last minute to do an assignment because I have work all morning before class. My social life has suffered. I have very little time for anything else besides school, work & sleep. It's rough! But I can't imagine med school being any easier. Also hoping that acing 3 sciences + lab (12 credits) while working 20-30 hrs per week will show I can handle a heavy load.

Don't be scared to push yourself but also know your limits. If you honestly can't work and perform well in class then one of those things must go.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you plan on taking 4 classes per semester if you don't work? Do you work full-time or part-time? Try a very organized schedule, if you haven't. I have to pay cash for my DIY postbacc (couldn't get a loan) so I have to work part-time and it has actually helped me focuse and discipline myself. I know I can't wait until the last minute to do an assignment because I have work all morning before class. My social life has suffered. I have very little time for anything else besides school, work & sleep. It's rough! But I can't imagine med school being any easier. Also hoping that acing 3 sciences + lab (12 credits) while working 20-30 hrs per week will show I can handle a heavy load.

Don't be scared to push yourself but also know your limits. If you honestly can't work and perform well in class then one of those things must go.
What kind of work do you do while doing post-bacc pre-med?
I know some schools have no loan for this. Thus, I have to spend my hard-earned savings for years rather than loan no interest then pay after I'm done (I can earn some interest on my savings first before I pay the education expenses plus if I can find part-time and take 4 subjects, it's the best).

What kind of work do you do while doing post-bacc pre-med?
I know some schools have no loan for this. Thus, I have to spend my hard-earned savings for years rather than loan no interest then pay after I'm done (I can earn some interest on my savings first before I pay the education expenses plus if I can find part-time and take 4 subjects, it's the best).

I work part-time as a PT/Rehab aide. I was originally aiming for PA school and needed direct patient care experience. PT aide didn't require any additional school or certifications and fulfilled the patient care requirement. In my down time, I get to study. It's NOT enough to live on ($10/hr) but just enough to pay my cc tuition and a few other small bills.

If you're going full time, you should not work full time. At most do part-time. But if that keeps you from an A, then don't work at all. Do whatever it takes to get A's. Have you considered work-study type jobs?

Hey guys I was working partime as a retail and i got C's this semster taking phys and chemistry. I feel so stupid and incompetent for taking on the extra work load. I've taken everyone's advice with a grain of salt and the only way this is going to work is to school full time... thank you for your responses

Maybe you should reevaluate how you study and organization. Working part time and only taking 2 classes (at my school that's 8 credits, part time status), can't imagine why you only pulled Cs. Is this your first go at these science courses or retakes for grades?

retakes for grades. I know its alarming but how do I get the hang of it. I'm considering a different path to med school like rn or pa and such, but at the end of the day they require similar discipline. I took eight months after graduation off to just reevaluate myself and see if i still wanted medicine. I did the second degree at brooklyn college and this happened, I also ended quitting my job because I wasn't getting enough study time. I think I'm smart enough but time and organization is by far my biggest issue. Im considering taking time off again and working as a EMT but what will that do for besides push me back into medicine. Also to accumulate such debt after UG and leave with nothing. Open to advice but nothing condescending

from my intial UG it was a 2.3 and science 2.5 and at my new school i got two C's

Forget a second degree, do DO retakes for a couple semesters. If you aren't getting A's from here on out, you are wasting your time. Only you know how likely that is...time for some self-reflection

So do retakes as a non-degree seeking student?

Do the retakes as a non-degree student. The consensus is to retake any C/D/F science courses, score As and apply DO. Try meeting with a tutor and/or trying to form a study group. If your professor offers office hours go with specific questions/problems you need help with. Definitely get organized.

If you have to declare one for finances you can, but don't waste time taking any course that isn't a retake (if your prereqs are all done)

A's very important when you think about this thing.