TOE vs TDA Army Bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsomeday1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to rank my army bases for our first assignment and want to make sure I'm not attached to an MTOE unit if I can help it. Is there any list that shows which bases have TOE/TDA units? Generally, are larger bases associated with TOEs, like Hood, Sam Houston, Bragg?

Members don't see this ad.

You will not go into a TOE unit out of dental school. You don't know enough about dentistry yet for them to want you. The majority of TOE slots are filled by people coming out of 1 yr AEGDs or individuals who have been around 1-3 yrs at a base that has a combat brigade. If you want a list of where there are TOE units (aka combat brigades) you can probably google search it and find a list i.e. google search "combat brigade and Ft. Riley" to see if there are any.

Remember that only 10% of dentists go into TOE units. The other 90% that deploy can be selected from any base regardless of whether there is a unit that deploys or not. Do not make your assignment decision on whether or not there is a combat unit located at the location...your choices will be narrowed down very quickly. Those places that don't have combat brigades are usually training bases which means instead of maybe getting assigned to a combat unit you will instead be working on all the privates who have never seen a dentist in there life i.e. a lot of extractions, fillings, and pulpectomies.

If you are looking to go to a TOE unit down the road, it may be a good idea to go to this installation to try and work your way into that unit after a year or 2. If you are looking for some of the bigger units, look at Bragg, Campbell, etc.

This all depends on your goals and what you want to do. If you are looking to go to Airborne school, you would want to go to Bragg, Air Assault, Campbell...etc.