Toefl Ibt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
For all those who have taken and yet to take TOEFL ibt....please share your strategies to prepare for the same...for those of us who have taken it please tell us what are a must do's and don'ts for it...any suggestions...and those who yet to take please get in touch so that we can help each other....cause i feel this test goes really neglected especially or those who take it just after taking part 1....
hope we catch on this further...
cheers :wow:

Members don't see this ad.

There was a previous post on that o try to search for that thread... but to make it short, it's more difficult than the old one but it gives an accurate evaluation of your English language skills, so if you have only a few days left there is nothing much you can do, but be sure to take the free sample test at their website so that you get familiar with the test format.
btw, I've got a much higher score in ibt than in CBT so don't be scared...

good luck

Ramzi said:
There was a previous post on that o try to search for that thread... but to make it short, it's more difficult than the old one but it gives an accurate evaluation of your English language skills, so if you have only a few days left there is nothing much you can do, but be sure to take the free sample test at their website so that you get familiar with the test format.
btw, I've got a much higher score in ibt than in CBT so don't be scared...

good luck
Thanks
Ramzi,i did try to look up the post u r talking about,but could not find explicit material on as to what you really need to prepare for on listening and speaking sections of toefl ibt,as in, should i listen to more conversations and try taking the tests,will this help....u have scored pretty good...tell me how did u prepare...thanks... also can u tell me
how much american is the accent(u know what i mean),is it like too much american accent
also like what all familiar topics u get to speak on and how did u join the two sentences when u spoke...thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dentist79 said:
Thanks
Ramzi,i did try to look up the post u r talking about,but could not find explicit material on as to what you really need to prepare for on listening and speaking sections of toefl ibt,as in, should i listen to more conversations and try taking the tests,will this help....u have scored pretty good...tell me how did u prepare...thanks... also can u tell me
how much american is the accent(u know what i mean),is it like too much american accent
also like what all familiar topics u get to speak on and how did u join the two sentences when u spoke...thanks :)

hey,

1. I did not prepare at all... just took the sample test... but don't get me wrong, I didn't have enough time as I was studying for part 1, and frankly speaking, I'm confident that my English language is good enough...
2. Speaking might be the most difficult part... I guess you should train by answering familiar questions (record your responses) and then hear them again.. this will make you more confident at the exam day
3. Listening was pretty much easy for me, I think the conversations were very clear and there was no strong accent.. the guys speak slowly and clearly
4. As for my responses, I was kind of stressed during my responses and I did not expect these scores at all... no magic formula... try to do your best!

good luck

Ramzi said:
hey,

1. I did not prepare at all... just took the sample test... but don't get me wrong, I didn't have enough time as I was studying for part 1, and frankly speaking, I'm confident that my English language is good enough...
2. Speaking might be the most difficult part... I guess you should train by answering familiar questions (record your responses) and then hear them again.. this will make you more confident at the exam day
3. Listening was pretty much easy for me, I think the conversations were very clear and there was no strong accent.. the guys speak slowly and clearly
4. As for my responses, I was kind of stressed during my responses and I did not expect these scores at all... no magic formula... try to do your best!

good luck
thanks a lot ramzi,hope i do good
preethi good luck for ur prep n i answered ur pm

Here is my review... I took the test and sored pretty well. The best preparatory material would be any TOEFL IBT book that you can loan from the library. I took just Friday and Saturday morning (my exam was scheduled at 4 pm on Saturday) to study for the TOEFL. I didn't have much time with my part 1 scheduled 10 days later. Still, I don't think you need anymore. A day or two is ample time! Whatever book you borrow there will be a few essay questions, try answering them at home.
Now for the TOEFL ...
The first section is reading. You will have around 8 passages each one for 20 minutes. As long as you don't waste time reading the passage, you will be fine. Start answering the questions as soon as possible. I found all my passages to be real english! The vocabulary, the structures of sentences were high level. It was definitely hard but not very hard... I mean this is how it should be if our vocabulary is being tested. But the reading apssages are dfinitely differently structured from the CBT so get hold of an IBT book. It will help.
The next section is listening. As long as you have heard a couple americans talk you should be fine. Even otherwise you should be fine. It is very clear... so much more audible than CBT. The quality is excellent. Plus you get sheets to write notes on as you listen to the conversations or lectures. Remember this is not a memory test so do take notes!! The listening is actually a joke.

The speaking is slightly intimidating not because the questions are hard or anything it is more because you are under the pressure of thinking for an answer in 15 seconds. However, you get more than 15 seconds. The question will appear on the screen and as that hapens they will ask you the question following which you will be instructed to prepare for the answer and then an instruction to start talking after the beep. So finally you have more time. When the question appears on the screen read it and start preparing for the answer. Also, if you do not know the answer, answer something relevant. All they are looking for is how relevant your answer is to the question, the way you structure your sentences, how grammatically correct, your vocabulary knowledge and your pronunciation. They don't care for your accent or whether your answer is right or wrong. For instance, if they ask you describe the city you live in don't talk about your school instead talk about the city that's all. Just anything about the city. Couple of the speaking sections are about integrating two sets of information that we get as a paragraph/notice and a conversation or a excerpt from an article and a lecture and so on. So how well you can integrate the two pieces of information and present it in 45 seconds. It is not hard at all. Just your presence of mind.

The final section is the essays. The first essay is easy. The second essay is neither hard nor easy. That is something that cannot be improved in a day's work. Just write what you think but make sure the punctuation is correct and your sentences are structured well. Don't mix the tenses from past to past perfect to present Try to maintain the same tense throughout.

Ok, now for the scoring...
Though the exam sounds hard, their scoring is very lenient. It's hard not to score high.

Tips:
1. Get 1 TOEFL ibt book. Skim through it. That's more than enough.
2. Try answering simple questions like who is your best teacher? Which place do you go to most often and why? what are the characteristics do you want in your best friend? Which subject do you like the most? simple questions like that.
3. Prepared to be disturbed during your reading section by others beside you testing their mics.
4. Use the sheets of paper given during the TOEFL to take notes. Don't write down everything you hear only take notes.. like in college.
5. Good luck... it is not as hard as it seems, definitely harder than CBT but nothing compared to part 1.

g3k said:
Here is my review... I took the test and sored pretty well. The best preparatory material would be any TOEFL IBT book that you can loan from the library. I took just Friday and Saturday morning (my exam was scheduled at 4 pm on Saturday) to study for the TOEFL. I didn't have much time with my part 1 scheduled 10 days later. Still, I don't think you need anymore. A day or two is ample time! Whatever book you borrow there will be a few essay questions, try answering them at home.
Now for the TOEFL ...
The first section is reading. You will have around 8 passages each one for 20 minutes. As long as you don't waste time reading the passage, you will be fine. Start answering the questions as soon as possible. I found all my passages to be real english! The vocabulary, the structures of sentences were high level. It was definitely hard but not very hard... I mean this is how it should be if our vocabulary is being tested. But the reading apssages are dfinitely differently structured from the CBT so get hold of an IBT book. It will help.

The next section is listening. As long as you have heard a couple americans talk you should be fine. Even otherwise you should be fine. It is very clear... so much more audible than CBT. The quality is excellent. Plus you get sheets to write notes on as you listen to the conversations or lectures. Remember this is not a memory test so do take notes!! The listening is actually a joke.

The speaking is slightly intimidating not because the questions are hard or anything it is more because you are under the pressure of thinking for an answer in 15 seconds. However, you get more than 15 seconds. The question will appear on the screen and as that hapens they will ask you the question following which you will be instructed to prepare for the answer and then an instruction to start talking after the beep. So finally you have more time. When the question appears on the screen read it and start preparing for the answer. Also, if you do not know the answer, answer something relevant. All they are looking for is how relevant your answer is to the question, the way you structure your sentences, how grammatically correct, your vocabulary knowledge and your pronunciation. They don't care for your accent or whether your answer is right or wrong. For instance, if they ask you describe the city you live in don't talk about your school instead talk about the city that's all. Just anything about the city. Couple of the speaking sections are about integrating two sets of information that we get as a paragraph/notice and a conversation or a excerpt from an article and a lecture and so on. So how well you can integrate the two pieces of information and present it in 45 seconds. It is not hard at all. Just your presence of mind.

The final section is the essays. The first essay is easy. The second essay is neither hard nor easy. That is something that cannot be improved in a day's work. Just write what you think but make sure the punctuation is correct and your sentences are structured well. Don't mix the tenses from past to past perfect to present Try to maintain the same tense throughout.

Though the exam sounds hard, their scoring is very lenient. It's hard not to score high.

Tips:
2. Try answering simple questions like who is your best teacher? Which place do you go to most often and why? what are the characteristics do you want in your best friend? Which subject do you like the most? simple questions like that.
3. Prepared to be disturbed during your reading section by others beside you testing their mics.
4. Use the sheets of paper given during the TOEFL to take notes. Don't write down everything you hear only take notes.. like in college.
5. Good luck... it is not as hard as it seems, definitely harder than CBT but nothing compared to part 1.
hi g3k,
long time since we talked
its a very informative post ,i need this toefl again for bu ,this post is a sure save on my computer :thumbup:
thanks g3k

Thanks a tonne G3k,its right info at this time when i am struggling with what actually to prepare for toefl....thanks

Hi g3k
Thanks for the very useful info and encouragement!

g3k said:
Now for the TOEFL ...

Tips:

Hi,
This sure is a wonderful post... hats off to you for taking so much time to post this info for other people's benifit...

The test is easy, just 4 to 5 days prep is enough if you were educated in English medium. The book u need is Kaplan dont buy any thing else, its just waste, i bought others but was of no use. It has cds n u can record ur resposes.
The reading is little tough but with little practice u can score well. Listening is same as cbt, try taking notes quickly.
Speaking will b easy, they ask questions like, u like long or short vacation, what is ur career goal,
essay will b of standards of class 7/8.there is nothing difficult bout the test.
If you can get a book from the public library,' barrons essay for the cbt tolefl.' All the questions for writing n speaking will b there, it is simple. i am telling u this coz its been long time we havent written essay n it helps u develop simple ideas.

himal said:
The test is easy, just 4 to 5 days prep is enough if you were educated in English medium. The book u need is Kaplan dont buy any thing else, its just waste, i bought others but was of no use. It has cds n u can record ur resposes.
The reading is little tough but with little practice u can score well. Listening is same as cbt, try taking notes quickly.
Speaking will b easy, they ask questions like, u like long or short vacation, what is ur career goal,
essay will b of standards of class 7/8.there is nothing difficult bout the test.
If you can get a book from the public library,' barrons essay for the cbt tolefl.' All the questions for writing n speaking will b there, it is simple. i am telling u this coz its been long time we havent written essay n it helps u develop simple ideas.
hi
himal
thanks for replying and the info,how much did u score

Members don't see this ad :)
himal said:
I scored 116.
that is indeed a great score, himal, i am really scared for the listening and speaking part...any tips? thanks

Hi,

It is an awesome score.

I'm taking the TOEFL tomorrow, did some preparation but not that much confident on the speaking part.

just 15 sec time for preparation for speaking is intimidating but i'll try my best to do well.

Any tips would be grealy apprciated.

himal said:
I scored 116.

Thank you. Trust me it is hard not to score. The exam could be hard but the scoring is sooooo lenient. Don't worry.

Hi
Thanks to all of you,i gave my toefl ibt and it did go fine.
Thanks to all of you who tried to help me out with my queries and provided me with strategies and ways to look at the paper....
also i would like to mention who have to take the paper,hope u know(i did not)that reading section the passages are split and u cannot come back to them once the time on the whole passage runs out.u however can go back n forth in the time limit but not later....
good luck

Hey
did anybody get scores for toefl ibt taken on 29 july.....they said 15 days and I have no word about my scores....what about people who have recieved it???does it show immediately on the toefl account..I keep logging in everyday but it says not available.....

shlo said:
Hey
did anybody get scores for toefl ibt taken on 29 july.....they said 15 days and I have no word about my scores....what about people who have recieved it???does it show immediately on the toefl account..I keep logging in everyday but it says not available.....
u will be able to see ur results in 15 business days . they will update the information on the 15th day. then after 4-5 days u will receive the report.

minali said:
u will be able to see ur results in 15 business days . they will update the information on the 15th day. then after 4-5 days u will receive the report.

Thanx minali...I called thema and they told me the same thing...thanx again and good luck with everything...

Just finished the iBT..110 and not crying about it. :D
I did NO perp what so ever.It is not a difficult exam.As said earlier in the thread in the reading section,go straight to the qs so you will know what to look out for.And DONT spend too much time on one question
Listening is ok as well..pay attention.I think you can take notes.Jot down key points.
As far as speaking goes..same thing pay attention and write down key points.Make sure you complete the answer in time.
Writing is ok.Try not to write a dissertation...a few well writtn paragraphs is much better than disorganized,but long essay.
Thats it :D
good luck

I am the only one who can not pass the Toefl test. 90 on ibt doesn`t allow me to send any application in California . ,,,,,,,,,,,I passed part 1 and part2 ,but I can not send application anywhere .

drabc said:
I am the only one who can not pass the Toefl test. 90 on ibt doesn`t allow me to send any application in California . ,,,,,,,,,,,I passed part 1 and part2 ,but I can not send application anywhere .
HEY
Dont feel disheartened,when did u take ur test,why dont you take it again....which part did u score least...prepare this time better and take it again...
dont worry

dentist79 said:
HEY
Dont feel disheartened,when did u take ur test,why dont you take it again....which part did u score least...prepare this time better and take it again...
dont worry
thank you ,but I don`t have time to take again the test . All universities in California have 15 september deadline and, in plus , I have the worst score on speaking (ufffffffffff) . I can not improve the speaking part from 19 to 24 in one week .

hi,
dunt feel sad, i can tell u a quick and cheap way of getting a hang of the american accent n normal english vocab used in day to day language, watch as many english shows as you can on your tv for a week, like regular soaps and you will grasp very quickly in a week,if u live with spouse ,kids or friends, try to communicate only in english for a week, you would be fine, believe me, though i always thought i had a very good english vocab an accent, i had a difficult time when i moved to US first, coz my husband was born n raised here, and has a typical american accent, which i could understand though, but his friends were too american, all born here, and it took me a while to get used to their accents, understand them and talk back in the same way, watching tv shows helped me a lot to grasp the accent fast,so dunt worry, work hard on it, one week is good enuf to retake toefl,all the best

drabc said:
thank you ,but I don`t have time to take again the test . All universities in California have 15 september deadline and, in plus , I have the worst score on speaking (ufffffffffff) . I can not improve the speaking part from 19 to 24 in one week .

Thank you ,you are very nice with me . But ,I never studied English in my country and for me it will not be enough 2-4more weeks of studing .