Toefl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DentalUtopia

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI I am going to be taking the TOEFL exam. Has anyone else taken this exam? Any advice? Should I take it before Part 2 or after? How much preparation do I need for it? Thanks for all input and advice!
 
TOEFL is a proficiency exam... English language....

Nothing, at all, to do with the boards....

:S
 
Thanks for the response... I know it is a test of English as a foreign language. I just wanted to know how much prep time to take it? What material to use etc..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took toefl exam's date a week after my part 1.. And from that 1 week i just prepared for 3 days.. But thats just me, i neva had much problem with english...
What i did was , i just watched all the toefl related videos from youtube.. There are gonna be like 7-8 hours of videos there.. And i just watched videos everyday for 2-3 hours.. Next thing you need to do is download the sample paper from the toefl website, to have a better idea of the questions and pattern you gonna face.. You need to know the style of questions.. And from youtube, you ll know how to answer them ..
You can also use the kaplan iBT CD .. Buy it or find it on net... Its just to practice.. The questions in it, are almost of same level that you are gonna face in exam.. Just prepare for a week or may be more depending upon your proficiency , and get over with it... Good luck !
Thanks for the response... I know it is a test of English as a foreign language. I just wanted to know how much prep time to take it? What material to use etc..
 
For me I studied for one month,4-5 hours a day, I did the practice exams in the Baron's and Kaplan, did the YouTube videos as well, and I read the essential words for toefl in Baron's. The thing that you need is to practice time management. Watch a lot of programs on history channel and national geography, it is very useful to practice liscening to the spoken language as I had a problem with the liscening.
 
Cambridge TOEFL Preparation. Excellent software.

Longman iBT Prep 2.0. It is the best for the writing skills.

And obviusly, take a course.

This was my method, and I got a 104.
 
Hi guys. Can somebody tell me if there is a point to request score report to be sent to the school other then one you are going to apply, then the admission office of your school in future will not see how many attempts you took to pass foefl ? Would it be good idea to do that?
Let say if your 5fth attempt is much more successful, then you can request additional report and send it to the school where you actually ready to apply to.

please reply. . .
thank you.
 
Here are some important things to keep in mind before going for TOEFL attempt. Please follow the resource.
bweducation.businessworld.in/author/Guest-Author/Gurinder-Bhatti-85029/