Tomorrow's PCAT....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mandu08

Ok everyone,

Tomorrow's the day....

It's 10pm and I'm off to bed.
Hopefully, I can fall asleep.
Have a rested night and rise with a stimulated mind..:idea:

Good luck examiners !
:zip:

Members don't see this ad.

Any pcatmania driving-in from boston to Salem state college for? Please let me know so i can ride with you to the venue. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
dont forget these

admission ticket
pencils , erasers
2 4ms of ID
get there on time
no calculators
i little snack
a good breakfast
and a dose of optimism!:)

it may be pretty late for this
but hey
i found this interesting thread
short cut tips
Last Minute PCAT shortcuts/tips It's 1:30am, anyone else up? Well, I thought it'd be helpful if people would post any tricks, shortcuts, and/or mnemonic devices when it came to learning the material. For example...(Some of these I stole from the Pre-Med forum)

1.) A good way to learn what hormones come from the anterior pituitary, just remember FLATPeG.
F=FSH
L=LSH
A=ACTH
T=TSH
P=Prolactin
E=(stands for nothing)
G=Growth Hormone

Posterior Pituitary is just 2 hormones Oxytocin and ADH so that's easy to remember.

2.) This is a way to know which are pyramides and which are purines.
King TUC (tut) is buried in a PYRAMID (Thymine, uracil and cytosine are all pyramidines).
- or -
Pyramids are sharp so they will CUT you.

AG = angels of god are pure like purines

3.) Want to know sperm pathway? Drink SEVEN UP!
Seminiferous tubules
Epididymis
Vas deferens
Ejaculatory duct
N(othing)
Urethra
Penis

4.) Pumpkin," or PUMP K+ IN for the sodium-potassium pump.

3 Na+ out
2 K+ in

5.) STRONG ACIDS (in order of decreasing acidity)::

HI - I
HBr - Bring
HCl - Cans of
HClO4 - Coca
HClO3 - Cola
H2SO4 - So
HNO3 - No

6.) These next 3 have sexual content...

When i think of the pancreas, i think of GIS (pronounced gizz)
alpha cells- Glucagon
beta - Insulin
delta Somatostatin

also, i can remember shwann cells vs oligodendrocytes by remembering that schwann likes penis, so he works in the PNS.

Kinky People Cry Out for Great Sex:

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Genus
Species

7.) For knowing which one is positive in an electrochemical cell think:

Ape and Cabbage (CPG)

Anode
Positive
Electrolytic

Cathode
Positive
Galvanic

Hopefully this helps:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
u are a genius omg...but come to think of it, i have already know this haha but if you don't please learn...goodluck goodnight...im gonna hit the sack

If I can offer any advice it would be to THINK, THINK, THINK.

Do not compute, think of the logical answer.

Also, relax. Getting nervous will be our first response, but I can guarantee you we all think better when we are cool and composed.

LIKE CAPTAIN JEAN-LUC PICARD!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I just came back from the PCAT, and wow, the math was actually easier than I expected (which is not to say that I aced it, just that it wasn't as OMG as the KAPLAN book portrayed it). The bio part was just awful. Nothing that I studied was on it, and I totally bombed it.

Reading comprehension, I finished with 20 minutes of spare time...

Overall, I'm going to cry if i need to do this again.

Everything was easier than I expected... but I couldn't finish math.. T_T I'm ashamed to be an asian now...

I found Bio and Math to be quite the difficult sections
Agreed. Biology was kinda tough but luckily got seemed to get easier in the last stretch after the 5 minutes got called.
Math was difficult due to the time constrictions, but I should have been able to answer everything. Ended up guessing on 5 of them because I skipped around to do the easier ones first, then by the time I was done with those I only had a few seconds to throw C down on the more time consuming ones. Meh.

How do you think I feel? I guessed on over 10 questions for math lol

I feel really bad about leaving 2-3 questions blank for the chem. I went back trying to look for a specific question after 1 minute left was called, and as result i couldn't bubble in the other 2-3 questions >_<

How do you think I feel? I guessed on over 10 questions for math lol

I feel really bad about leaving 2-3 questions blank for the chem. I went back trying to look for a specific question after 1 minute left was called, and as result i couldn't bubble in the other 2-3 questions >_<

Were you the person with the ID problem? Guess it worked out okay, good for you.

The bio section was much harder than i thought it would be... anyone else feel the same?

The bio section was much harder than i thought it would be... anyone else feel the same?
Yup, thats what i said earlier if it makes you feel better. lol. Whats the best tactic for not thinking about this for the next 6 weeks? Anybody?

Were you the person with the ID problem? Guess it worked out okay, good for you.

I bought an expired passport, they didnt seem to notice or care, but i had a bagful of other documents to prove my identity just in case lol

are you willing to break the law?
Go on...
shady.gif

guys ....

the MATH was horrible...lots of graphs..chemistry lots of organic and i couldnt answer 4 of the chem qs....i thought reading was kind of hard...verabal what the heck..biology was the easiest part realy...i dont know..welcome june takers..:D

Everyone,

I really hated the fact that I studied all those GRE words. It was a total waste of my darn time ! Advise, just increase your usage of vocabulary by reading; new york times, journals , etc.

math part was hard!!!! .. i actually did really well last time, i dont think i got anywhere close to that score again.. which means.. goodbye to my first choice school!! :(

Honestly, i haven't studied this much in my life and i found this pcat really terribly Hard! This is ridiculous and the test makers should be questioned as to why this was so. Biology was completely biochemistry(insulin production pathway?) The verbal was not as terrible but the reading was too hard n confusing. The chemistry and math was too wordy, and i think i might get really low score this time around. I even thought pcat oct was way better since i did well in bio. I will tear up the scores when i receive it. goodluck every1

oladejow7 - that question WAS ridiculous. also the cerv. cancer one. Maybe it was just me - but i never took microbiology yet.

Also, the chem had a few organic quesions from Orgo II - which I still didnt take.
Pretty pointless.

verbal was bit easier than what i been thinkin, but i could not finish the math portion. those big graphs and paragraphs before a tiny little problem in math portion just made me nervous so i skipped and tried to come back but not enough time.
chem was ok but still bit more practice would have helped
i feel so relaxed today, even though i mite not have done too well :D

I asked a question about a specific essay question then realized thats pretty much illegel, hence this edited(censored) version of the post

I felt good about it

the bio section was harder than october, I thought. chem and math seemed easier than last time (thank Goda, I didn't do too badly in chem last time but math spanked me)- also yeah, there was way more o-chem on it than the last one. the language stuff seemed pretty much the same, some of the questions were from last time.

I think I know which essay it was, simply because one was sort of okay, and the other was pants-on-head ******ed. I almost didn't bother doing it- I was already kind of apathetic by the time the second dude rolled around [3 hours of sleep anyone?]. watch me be wrong and get a terrible score on it. We'll see in six weeks I guess.

My conclusion was crappy on the apathy one, and I the drop out essay i wrote was mediocre at best =(.

i thought the verbal section was reasonable..the analogies weren't as hard as i thought they would be...the bio section had some tricky and random questions (cervical cancer? odd?) but i think i did good in it..chem i guessed on like 5. or maybe 6. i thought reading comp was easy. math, ughh...i guessed on like 6 or 7..i kept skipping around and some i had to completely guess on. i almost ran outta time (and brain power). and this jerk next to me finished math with 5 min left and he flipped his test book/answer sheet over and was just chillin there. I wanted to smack him haha. i dont think i can wait 6 weeks! eek! btw, this is my first time taking the pcat and i already applied for this fall...do u guys think im at a disadvantage because i took the late pcat?? Thanks! hope u all did well!! so glad it is over

i thought the verbal section was reasonable..the analogies weren't as hard as i thought they would be...the bio section had some tricky and random questions (cervical cancer? odd?) but i think i did good in it..chem i guessed on like 5. or maybe 6. i thought reading comp was easy. math, ughh...i guessed on like 6 or 7..i kept skipping around and some i had to completely guess on. i almost ran outta time (and brain power). and this jerk next to me finished math with 5 min left and he flipped his test book/answer sheet over and was just chillin there. I wanted to smack him haha. i dont think i can wait 6 weeks! eek! btw, this is my first time taking the pcat and i already applied for this fall...do u guys think im at a disadvantage because i took the late pcat?? Thanks! hope u all did well!! so glad it is over

I do agree that the PCAT is becoming more comparable to the MCAT; because after using practice MCAT materials, a strong similarity was evident in yesterday's PCAT. The best study material for the bio section was definitely using my old notes and lectures from college. Also, the chem worked out "ok" since i just completed orgo II. The key to the PCAT is practice, practice, practice, and practice. Get your hands an a large question bank.

oh yeah!! my ochem classes did help me ALOT on chem section.. i actually made 90 something on chem part last year when i just finished ochem 2.. but when i took it again in aug. it was back to the 60s again.. :(

which one do u think is the one that will be graded? apathy or drop-out..?

So everyone got the apathy question first and different one for the 2nd? Oh I soooo glad cause my 2nd essay question was just stupid and I couldn't think of ANY solutions to the problem. I ended up writing about solutions to a prob related to it and didn't realize until the end when I read the question again and by then I had like zero time left... But the apathy one, I think my essay was pretty good though I didn't have time to write a conclusion :oops:

here's my perspective (first timer, Canadian, BSc)

The biology was ridiculously easy (hello HPV)

Way too much Organic Chem (damn you Kaplan test prep book!!!), it's been years since I took organic so I pretty much guessed on all the reaction Q's, didn't have time to finish...

Math, not my strongest subject (again, the Kaplan book is NOT representative of the test material)...more guessing than I would have liked, but there just isn't enough time, most of us are in the same boat though except crazy math whizzes

Verbal, can't complain

Reading, way too many passages, so not as much time to re-read to find the answer, but not too bad

Written....absolutely idiotic since I'm Canadian and not American, and hence don't give a **** about your problems and how to solve them (apathy/dropout)...rumor has it my Canadian school doesn't look at the written part, probably for that reason

Overall kinda what I was expecting, I knew math/chem would be my weak point since I haven't studied these topics in years

Now we wait...good luck!! :)

Honestly, i haven't studied this much in my life and i found this pcat really terribly Hard! This is ridiculous and the test makers should be questioned as to why this was so. Biology was completely biochemistry(insulin production pathway?) The verbal was not as terrible but the reading was too hard n confusing. The chemistry and math was too wordy, and i think i might get really low score this time around. I even thought pcat oct was way better since i did well in bio. I will tear up the scores when i receive it. goodluck every1
hey, dont give up yet! much as i felt the same way u did, im keeping an optimistic outlook- wanna join the train?

As an experienced native Chinese guy, I know how to speak and write Chinese.

I found this to help me with math, chemistry, and all those abilities given to us Chinese people.