tone in secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I decided to just do a personality dump on one of my secondaries for Miami (prompt =
Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.). I felt like it would be a pretty fun prompt, so I went into all out narrative mode and injected quite a bit of humor in the writing. Thoughts on this? Do adcoms get turned off by this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I decided to just do a personality dump on one of my secondaries for Miami (prompt =
Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.). I felt like it would be a pretty fun prompt, so I went into all out narrative mode and injected quite a bit of humor in the writing. Thoughts on this? Do adcoms get turned off by this?

Judging by the prompt, it sounds like they would want you to have a little fun with it. I like to believe some adcoms want to see their applicants lead normal lives and experience joy in casual activities like the rest of the world, as opposed to being robots programmed to only talk about medicine related things.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

HUMOR???? What about professionalism don't you get

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm liking the presumably sarcastic post above me.

USC's are in a similar vein, I'm sure its fine as long as its tasteful

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an ADCOM nor do I really have any idea what the hell I'm talking about but I would imagine that humor would be a very subjective topic. While one social butterfly ortho adcom-bro might get a kick out of your humor, I can totally see the 80 year old Grinch old-fashioned, conservative adcom finding no place for that kind of tone in a professional school application. I wouldn't want to risk it.

The prompt is "most memorable travel experience," expecting strict professionalism with that kind of topic is absurd... On the contrary, I would risk it (not that there's really anything to risk in my opinion) because it will make you stand out more among other applicants and compliment your surely "professional" personal statement and other secondary responses.

To use a good buzz word, what kind of a privileged secondary is that? Shoot, I hope traveling on the public bus counts.

*kidding..sort of* :smuggrin:

To use a good buzz word, what kind of a privileged secondary is that? Shoot, I hope traveling on the public bus counts.

*kidding..sort of* :smuggrin:
pusheen-scooter.gif

Reactions: 6 users
What do you write for this if you've never traveled?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is when your fiction and creative writing skills come in handy.
Pull out your essays from elementary school about "My dream vacation"?

Reactions: 4 users
Yes. Don't try to be clever. Stuff like this leads to rejections.

Hey all,

Yes. Don't try to be clever. Stuff like this leads to rejections.
I had some fun writing Columbia's "how will you meet the challenges living in NYC" since I've been here for 20 years. The rest of the essays were more serious, but as long as I answer the question without saying "NYC amirite?", wouldn't it be ok for some lighthearted humor?

Ilya, it can easily blow up in your face because humorous to you might simply look stupid to another reader.

I had some fun writing Columbia's "how will you meet the challenges living in NYC" since I've been here for 20 years. The rest of the essays were more serious, but as long as I answer the question without saying "NYC amirite?", wouldn't it be ok for some lighthearted humor?

Ilya, it can easily blow up in your face because humorous to you might simply look stupid to another reader.
Gotcha

Reactions: 1 user
And considering the strange sense of humor I've seen from some SDN posters...

I'm not an ADCOM nor do I really have any idea what the hell I'm talking about but I would imagine that humor would be a very subjective topic. While one social butterfly ortho adcom-bro might get a kick out of your humor, I can totally see the 80 year old Grinch old-fashioned, conservative adcom finding no place for that kind of tone in a professional school application. I wouldn't want to risk it.

lol@ ortho adcom-bro.

I don't know who in particular is responsible for choosing essay prompts, but if what you say is true even in cases where more fun prompts are presented then this is a failure on the part of the adcoms.

I am taking a less guided approach to my secondaries, some of them tend to turn a bit more flowery, or casual, mostly just because there are so many prompts that I can't afford to give each the same treatment as I did in my primary. Overall, I think it comes out as more honest and less edited.