tonometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyenerd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have tips on how to get better at tonometry?

I find myself having to use both hands to keep the myers stable and when i have to lift one hand up to adjust the tono gauge, i start losing my myers or sometimes i take too long (from me trying to center the myers exactly) and then the myers come out too thick.

please share any tips! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Practice.

And have an experienced doc watch you.

From what it sounds like, you're just having issues with slit lamp control. You should be able to control it just fine with one hand on the joystick.

anyone have tips on how to get better at tonometry?

I find myself having to use both hands to keep the myers stable and when i have to lift one hand up to adjust the tono gauge, i start losing my myers or sometimes i take too long (from me trying to center the myers exactly) and then the myers come out too thick.

please share any tips! thanks!

It sounds as if you're trying to remain in contact with the eye the entire time, which you need not to. If the mires are too far apart, you know more pressure is required; vice verse, if they overlap by too much. Therefore, you can pull away from the eye if needed, make the indicated adjustment to the barrel, and check again by contacting the eye. In other words, you need not to be on the cornea with centered mires while actually adjusting the barrel.

Reactions: 1 user
Another tip is not only to keep your fingers on the joystick, but at the same time you should be using the heel of your palm on the same hand to keep the sliding base of the slit lamp in place so that it doesn't roll back, ect.

Also make sure you align yourself as best as possible before you actually applanate, and if need be, re-do as in if you realize you are too low on the cornea, pull back and raise the oculars then applanate again, this time it will be closer to being more accurate.