Too bold???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylor92107

surfing to success
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of sending out letters to various DO's in hopes of doing some more shadowing. I've got a couple responses but the DO I was waiting to hear from was the county coroner (many of you might know how difficult it is to find a DO who specializes in forecsic pathology). To my suprise, he sent me a long, detailed email about being a DO. Honestly, although I really appreciate his email, most of it was a lot of stuff I already knew. Do you guys think it would be rude if I sent an email back and asked to shadow him? I dont want to press my luck!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think it would be rude to ask if you could shadow him at all. Given his lengthy response to your initial email, he obviously is interested in spreading information about what it is to be a DO and is supportive of potential future DO's. Thus, I would think he would be happy to let you shadow him. Just make sure you are very appreciative of the time he took to write to you the first time when you ask! Good luck!!

I would surely ask this D.O. if you can shadow him/her. Like the previous post said, they must be interested in you and would gladly like to spread the word of their unique profession. I would not hesitate one minute about asking to shadow, a forensic pathology D.O. doesn't come along very often, and I personally would take every opportunity given to me. You're very lucky to be in contact with him/her!!! Just show your gratitude for their response and be as sincere as possible when asking to shadow. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters?

I took an even bolder approach.

I picked up my local phone book and pick out every DO in the Knoxville area.

Called their offices and asked to have them talk about their profession to a intrested medical student for a few moments. Usually this note was left at their nurses desk.

When they called I asked if they could spare a few moments to talk about their profession and then I asked if I could possibly come by for a shadow.

No one...I mean no one slammed the door on me. I shadowed everyone and the only ones I couldn't were surgeons that could not have their hospitals let me into the OR. I think ti worked well for me as I ended up with not jsut one but two awesome letters of recommendation.

Yes, absolutely send him a response thanking him for his wonderful email and ask him if you could shadow. The worst he can say is no. How cool that you were able to find a DO pathologist :thumbup:

How cool that you were able to find a DO pathologist
...I know, I was pretty suprised/lucky to find him. Heres some of his email:

"I have practiced medicine since 1974 and have
experienced relatively little bias on a world-wide experience and have
received exceptional training and opportunity. I have found no
inconsistency between osteopathic concept and principles and the practice of pathology-or medicine for that matter!"

I think its pretty encouraging for all of us who want to be DO's!

Uh, I'm not sure what would be too bold, if you don't bug them dang near constantly they will put you off. Keep that in mind 20 years from now... :)

taylor92107 said:
I am in the process of sending out letters to various DO's in hopes of doing some more shadowing. I've got a couple responses but the DO I was waiting to hear from was the county coroner (many of you might know how difficult it is to find a DO who specializes in forecsic pathology). To my suprise, he sent me a long, detailed email about being a DO. Honestly, although I really appreciate his email, most of it was a lot of stuff I already knew. Do you guys think it would be rude if I sent an email back and asked to shadow him? I dont want to press my luck!

Hey...would you mind posting that letter he wrote you back? I'm only asking because Amy B emailed some DO a while back about his thoughts about osteopathic medicine now that he was in practice....and it was really interesting

Here it is:

Osteopathy was started by Andrew Taylor Still, M.D. and was and still remains philosophically focused on the critical role of the musculoskeletal
system in health, illness and trauma and the important role of manipulative
medicine. In reality, a practicing osteopathic physician is much like
a blend of both chiropractor and allopath (MD). Both osteopathy and
allopathy need specialties. Both have their accreditation boards. The
amalgamation of many community hospitals by large healthcare
organizations has put at risk the usually small community based osteopathic
hospital and with that has decreased the value of AOA approved residencies in comparison to AMA "blessed" allopathic residencies and fellowships
which DO's can compete for and in so doing pursue job opportunities in
these "large" healthcare organizations. This is particularly true for
hospital based specialties. There are quite a few osteopathic
pathologists, but not too many forensic pathologists. I spent 33 years in the
military and did an allopathic internship, residency (anatomic & clinical
pathology), and fellowship (forensic pathology). My board
certifications are with the American Board of Pathology. However, my internship and residency were AOA (American Osteopathic Association) approved following an on-site inspection. I have practiced medicine since 1974 and have experienced relatively little bias on a world-wide experience and have received exceptional training and opportunity. I have found no
inconsistency between osteopathic concept and principles and the practice of pathology-or medicine for that matter!

I would ask if you can shadow him. When I'm a doctor I'm going to let anyone and everyone who asks shadow me, it just seems fair (and it sounds like fun). Remeber, they were once in your shoes.

cool doc you have there

Are you interested in going into pathology? If you are you should email the Dr. and ask if you can observe an autopsy. Dr.s love to brag by way of teaching.

taylor92107 said:

Originally, I wanted to do pathology. I part of me still does, but I like living people alot! I tend to be very good with people so I think something like family practice would be best...then again..people tend to complain too much. I guess I'll figure it out during my final year of med school. I already asked if I could shadow him so we'll see what happens. It would be sooooo cool to see an autopsy! :eek:

Ok, now I'm even more confused. I sent him an email and thanked him and asked if I could shadow him. He sent me back another long email and asked me why I was interested in pathology. So then I send him a long, detailed email on my interests and basically asked him some questions. He sent me another lond email basically telling me about his life and some other stuff (which I must say was very interesting) but he hasn't responded to my question about shadowing him. What would you guys do?

Sounds like you've got a good doc on your hands there! Just keep up the correspondence. Ask him a few more questions, if you have them. Be sure to show him how much you appreciate him taking the time to write to you (though it's not like his "patient" can't wait a few minutes, is it? ewww). And then very politely ask again.

It took me a few tries with the local pediatrician to get her to let me come in and shadow her. I basically just had to be nicely persistent and show that I'd done my homework. (I called and left a voice mail after not hearing back from them with some comment about how I was sure they were very busy because they had just had an open house celebrating their first year in town). If you can find something that shows him/her that you are interested in *him* and not just in the profession, it might help your case. Everyone likes to have a "fan."

I envy you! I had a helluva time just finding a DO around here--stunned to find one that had just moved into my own town. But finding one outside of primary care is virtually impossible. (And I think pathology is probably the ultimate in non-primary care).

Good luck!
Willow~

I agree with willow, ask a few more questions and then tell him he has really heightened your interest in the profession and would really love to shadow him to see first hand what he does.

One of my jobs before I got into med school was as an autopsy assistant. WOW what an experience. I would recommend to any aspiring doctor to view an autopsy if you get the opportunity. I worked on about 100 autopsies and I learned a ton about the human body and disease. I also learned that I have the stomach to see the sometimes gruesome things that we may run into as doctors. So in relation to the original post, I would keep at this doctor, in a polite manner of course, in order to get to see his job first hand. I think you'll learn a lot about forensic pathology and yourself.