too early for the OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grover2k9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to finish my sophomore year at an academically competetive private college in Pennsylvania. Here are the (related) courses I have taken thus far:

2 Semesters General Chemistry
2 Semesters Organic Chemistry
1 Semester General Biology
1 Semester Cellular/Molecular Biology
2 Semesters Physics

Is it too early to take my OAT this summer? Again, it'll be the summer after my second year of undergrad. I feel as though this is the best time as I will have just finished organic chemistry and physics.

The OAT is good for two years, correct? So when I apply my senior year, it will still be valid?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

well first get the second semester of biology under your belt

There wont be another semester of basic biology - it isnt offered here.

Perhaps terminology is different.... The Cellular/Molecular biology was more general than it sounds.

General Biology 102 is focused on plants and animals.

Does this change anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you are in great shape to take the OAT this summer. You have taken basically all of the subjects that will be covered on the OAT. As long as you study and take some practice tests, you will do fine.

Thats good news.

I bought the basic 25 dollar Kaplan OAT book from amazon. I plan on going through that very thoroughly.

After that I am going to order the 50 dollar topscore CD from amazon and go through those 3 full exams.

Will this be adequate preparation?