Too early to take the GRE?

Started by GAgirl85
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GAgirl85

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've recently decided to apply for Vet School but I still have about 2 years worth of prereqs to do. I'll be taking classes again in the fall but b/c of some scheduling conflicts I'll only be able to take one class this fall. I started thinking that since I'll only be able to take one class this fall, perhaps it would be a great time to prep for and take the GRE (I'll have plenty of time to study). But I'm nervous that it might be too early since I won't be applying until the 2013 cycle (maybe even 2014). It would be a huge bonus to have the GRE out of the way this early so that I can really focus on my course work, but I'm afraid that my scores won't be valid 2 or 3 years down the line. Any advice???
 
I'm not sure about how long scores are valid, but I would think they would still be valid if you are taking the "new improved" GRE. You might ask one of the pre vet advisors at your uni.
 
i think scores are good for 5 years, but with the new GRE that is starting in august, some schools are requiring that applicants have that one after this coming application cycle. knowing this it probably makes sense to wait at least until it is released to start taking the test, however it is never to early to start studying!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure the new gre starts this august. So if you spend fall semester studying and then take it you will be taking the right test for future admissions. The test scores will be valid for 5 or 6 years. You can find the exact number on the admissions link of each school's website. I think if you have extra time to study for it then go ahead and take it early. You should also look into other things to boost your application for the semester (in particular maybe you could get a part time job or volunteer at a clinic).
 
I'm pretty sure the new gre starts this august. So if you spend fall semester studying and then take it you will be taking the right test for future admissions. The test scores will be valid for 5 or 6 years. You can find the exact number on the admissions link of each school's website. I think if you have extra time to study for it then go ahead and take it early. You should also look into other things to boost your application for the semester (in particular maybe you could get a part time job or volunteer at a clinic).


I've been volunteering for an animal rescue group and I'm planning to apply at an emergency vet hospital this summer. I'm also starting to foster for the group I'm volunteering with. I think I'll try to take the GRE some time after August. It will be a relief to have it out of the way that early.
 
At Illinois the GRE has to be current within 2 years, so you might want to look into the schools you are applying to and see what their requirements are. It's never too early, and it might be good to take it early so you can take it again if you don't like your score. However, it is super expensive, so if you can get away with one time it would be good!
 
It would be a huge bonus to have the GRE out of the way this early so that I can really focus on my course work, but I'm afraid that my scores won't be valid 2 or 3 years down the line. Any advice???

I think if it were me I'd wait another year.... your scores ought to be valid for 5 years, but since they're changing the GRE format this year, waiting one more year gives that whole thing a chance to shake out.

If you really want to get it out of the way, though, just check with the schools to which you are planning to apply and make sure they'll accept a score from this fall....
 
At Illinois the GRE has to be current within 2 years, so you might want to look into the schools you are applying to and see what their requirements are. It's never too early, and it might be good to take it early so you can take it again if you don't like your score. However, it is super expensive, so if you can get away with one time it would be good!

2 years?! that's ridiculous, and as far as I can tell, pointless. 5 years is standard.
 
Hopefully you're really preparing well for it too. Yea, it's great to "get it out of the way" but that's assuming you get a good score the first time and won't need to retake it try for a better one down the line. I also agree with LIS in that you should wait a year while they figure out the kinks for the new test.
 
I took the GRE the fall of my junior year with a year and a half of pre-reqs left to go. I didn't have any problems with schools not accepting my scores. I did, however, have an issue after one of the schools I'd designated to receive the initial score report somehow lost it between the time I took the test and when I submitted my application almost a year later. I had to pay for a second score report to be sent, but they admitted me anyway, so happy ending. I wanted to take the test early so I'd have time to retake it, but that didn't end up being necessary, and I was glad to just have it out of the way.
 
I am pretty sure I agree with people saying to wait a little while until the kinks of the new test format are worked out. When I went and toured Madison they said they were not even preparing for the new test format because the GRE was scheduled to change a couple years ago and then at the last minute they decided they were not going to change it. Other schools have also said they were not sure if scoring would change and how that would change the scores they require so it seems as though there will quite a few kinks to work out. On a side note though I don't think it is too early. I took the test as a sophomore for the first time to get a feel for the format of the test and my score was pathetic...and I ended up taking it two more times. Good luck on studying and good luck on the test when you decide to take it!
 
What would be easier is if all the schools recognized the GRE for what it was (a test on how well you can take a test... nothing more) and abandoned it completely instead of being held by the balls by what is essentially a tax-exempt monopoly. the fact that schools haven't made decisions on how to handle the new test or issued any advice to potential applicants 3 months before the new test goes live is indicative of this unbalanced relationship between what the schools should actually be looking at and the power ETS has over them. /end rant.

I was very proud when my undergrad made the SAT/ACT optional on applications. And this is all coming from someone who tests very well versus a sister who is an awful test-taker and yet is much much smarter than me.
 
What would be easier is if all the schools recognized the GRE for what it was (a test on how well you can take a test... nothing more) and abandoned it completely instead of being held by the balls by what is essentially a tax-exempt monopoly. [...] the fact that schools haven't made decisions on how to handle the new test [...] is indicative of [...] the power ETS has over them. /end rant.

Eh. I don't see it.

The schools have all the freedom in the world to ignore the GRE if they want. There's nothing requiring schools to utilize the GRE as an application component. Thus, they aren't "held by the balls" and ETS doesn't really have any "power" over the schools. They could, individually or as a group, decide to forgo the GRE, require it, make it optional, use the VMCAT, use neither, use both, whatever.

... which suggests that in reality, school admissions folks believe that the GRE is a valuable component. None of them would tell you it's perfect, or that it's the best predictor imaginable, but most of them will tell you that it's a tool that gives them useful predictive information about the candidate's likelihood of success.
 
People need to chill. All three schools I checked with would accept the old or new GRE for five years. Take it when you will do best and double check with your top choices if you decide to take the old GRE (it probably won't be an issue). Some will say on their website.

I remember reading on here that one school wasn't accepting the old one after next year, but I don't even remember which one because I would never consider applying there.
 
Eh. I don't see it.

The schools have all the freedom in the world to ignore the GRE if they want. There's nothing requiring schools to utilize the GRE as an application component. Thus, they aren't "held by the balls" and ETS doesn't really have any "power" over the schools. They could, individually or as a group, decide to forgo the GRE, require it, make it optional, use the VMCAT, use neither, use both, whatever.

... which suggests that in reality, school admissions folks believe that the GRE is a valuable component. None of them would tell you it's perfect, or that it's the best predictor imaginable, but most of them will tell you that it's a tool that gives them useful predictive information about the candidate's likelihood of success.

I struggle with this a bit only because I am really bad at standardized tests. I hate them...HATE THEM! I guess it just irritates me that they pretend that it helps them predict the success of applicants when there was not a single aspect of the GRE covered in my college career. I think the same thing about the ACT and any other thing like that. If it actually had biology based questions or I dk something besides random vocab, algebra, etc. that really has nothing to do with vet school I would feel differently. I got a 24 on my ACTs and have a 3.9 in college when I have a friend who got a 30, received a bunch of scholarships and could care less about school, grades (I think he has a 2.5), or anything for that matter. I just think it is just another number that can really help you out or really hurt you...and it tends to always hurt me. So that is where my bitterness is coming from! Sorry about what just happened there....I went a little crazy!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...but most of them will tell you that it's a tool that gives them useful predictive information about the candidate's likelihood of success.

And most of them would be wrong. But yes, you are right that the schools do have a choice in the end and I should probably hold them just as accountable. Anyway, I realize it's not the end of the world, but just wished schools would find more progressive methods for the application process.
 
I'm not sure regarding the new test but, personally I took the GRE at the end of the summer after my first year of undergrad. I decided I had tme to study that year (and I did study quite hard), I'm really bad at taking standardized tests and it gave me plenty of time to retake it if needed ... I ended up with a 1320 and didn't have to retake it. So it worked out well for me personally.

THAT being said, I did almost run into an expired score problem since I decided to get a PhD after undergrad first (they are only "good" for 5 years after you take them). I applied to vet school the last possibl eyear on that score. I have a friend whose score expired after she got her application turned in but before the official date you have to turn your apps in by and MSU made her retake the GRE. Dumb. SO if you think the time limit will be an issue, you may wish to delay taking it.
 
I've heard they look at the GRE in part because they want to see how you do on standardized tests because you have to be able to pass a licensing exam (or two) at the end of it all

I definitely understand that...I just feel like our grades tell them whether we are capable of passing exams. I think I had such a hatred for the GRE because it had things like geometry on it which I took as a freshman in high school, and was irritated that a class I took in high school was what I needed to understand to get into graduate school. I know they have to have some way to narrow down the applicants so I understand it but the GRE and I are not good friends...to say the least.
 
I definitely understand that...I just feel like our grades tell them whether we are capable of passing exams. I think I had such a hatred for the GRE because it had things like geometry on it which I took as a freshman in high school, and was irritated that a class I took in high school was what I needed to understand to get into graduate school. I know they have to have some way to narrow down the applicants so I understand it but the GRE and I are not good friends...to say the least.

oh yeah, GRE wasn't fun won't disagree there. i think what they take away though is whether or not you're capable of passing standardized exams which is what you ultimately have to do to get licensed. hopefully they do look at the transcript when deciding if you're capable of passing exams in general!

whenever i talk to students about taking the GRE, i always tell them it could be a lot worse and more expensive! i.e MCAT, DAT, PCAT, the list goes on 😀 all of which require more than basic math and english and cost significantly more!
 
And most of them would be wrong. But yes, you are right that the schools do have a choice in the end and I should probably hold them just as accountable. Anyway, I realize it's not the end of the world, but just wished schools would find more progressive methods for the application process.

I guess I'm not sure how you can say that. As far as I can tell (which admittedly is restricted to a few journal articles), the value of the GRE is inconclusive. I don't know of anything that really strongly allows one to declare that it has no value (or, on the flip side, that it has strong value for graduate schools!). Maybe you know of more conclusive evidence, though.

If there were an obviously superior way to evaluate candidates, I have to believe the schools would use it. After all, it's in their interest to only offer spots to people who will successfully complete the program. That kinda suggests that either improvements are not obvious, or there are other barriers (money to evaluate other options, etc.) that prevent them from ditching it. My hunch is that everyone recognizes that the GRE is not as nice as they'd like, but nobody has any fantastic, efficient, cost-effective improvements in mind.

It's not clear to me why vet schools don't use the MCAT, though. It seems like at least the subject material would be relevant.
 
I remember reading on here that one school wasn't accepting the old one after next year, but I don't even remember which one because I would never consider applying there.

That would be LSU. Which I remember clearly because I am definitely applying there this year, and probably re-applying next year. 🙄
 
Yes, it's too early.

I have heard 2, 3, and 5 years in how long it's valid for. You want it to last for a few application cycles so that you don't have to retake it if you're rejected the first time.

There's really no advantage for you to take it right now. You won't have to study for it that long (certainly not the MCAT) and test materials prepping you for the new GRE will only get better in the next few years.