Too hot for work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Too sexy for work?

• Yes, her clothing is too sexy for the workplace.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Yes, the clothes are acceptable but she herself is too attractive.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with her appearance.

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • Undecided/other: please comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jinx520

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone hasn't heard yet, this lady is suing her employer for firing her for being "too hot". Here is the link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10003635.html

My question is, are her work outfits not appropriate for work? Please, let's not get into a debate about her moral character or motivation for her lawsuit. According to her, she wore the same styles that the other women in her workplace wore, she just "filled them out differently."

Members don't see this ad.

Damn.

That said, most of those outfits looks entirely appropriate (I'm assuming one or two were not actually work attire). It's not like she's showing major cleavage in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wowwww...what a body!!!!!

Why should she get penalized for having a GREAT body? But then again, the wrap dress looked inappropriate.

The fit of her clothes is inappropriate for most professional offices. I'm a 34F and I take care to not wear shirts that delineate my underbust. Nearly everything outlines the top - I'll never look flat - but if it is tight above and below it's just too eyecatching, and people have a hard time focusing on anything else. That wrap jersey dress is simply too tight.

I suppose that there are some fields where it would be completely fine, like advertising or certain kinds of media.

The fit of her clothes is inappropriate for most professional offices. I'm a 34F and I take care to not wear shirts that delineate my underbust. Nearly everything outlines the top - I'll never look flat - but if it is tight above and below it's just too eyecatching, and people have a hard time focusing on anything else. That wrap jersey dress is simply too tight.

I suppose that there are some fields where it would be completely fine, like advertising or certain kinds of media.
:eek: or :love:, I'm a little :confused: at the moment.

Seriously, I honestly do not see anything wrong with her attire for many/most situations. A little tight? Yeah, but throw a white coat on her and it would be fine.

Now for a serious question -- if you don't wear anything that is fitting through the midriff, how do you avoid the appearance of carrying more weight than you actually do?

Honestly, some times I think women just can't freakin' win. If a woman is homely, society expects her to make good use of makeup and clothing to make herself look attractive. If she looks attractive, either she is supposed to downplay it in order to be taken seriously or if she plays it up she is seen as shallow, unintelligent, and vain.

And with all that has been said about the "halo effect", men still tend to look at an attractive woman and secretly assume she's dumb. Yeah, more people open doors and offer to hold packages for you, but if you open up your mouth and something halfway intelligent comes out, men are still surprised.

It saddens me to say this because in an ideal world it shouldn't matter, but I would rather be attractive and have people assume I'm dumb than to be average. Men will hit on woman and that's a fact of life, but the quality of male that hits on an attractive woman tends to be higher than the ones that hit on average women.

P.S. Mohs, women with larger breasts have to be really careful with fit. They need to select clothing that is fitted around the waist otherwise they look fat, but if it's too tight they look like a stripper. Plus, button-up shirts are tricky. I have to wear a larger blouse size than I normally do or else the buttons gape open, and I'm not even that big up top.

You honored most of your rotations, didn't you? :D

According to her, she wore the same styles that the other women in her workplace wore, she just "filled them out differently."

She appears to be "filling them out differently" because they are too small for her. If the fabric is stretched so tightly that you can discern the bra underneath you either need a bigger top, or a thicker fabric.

That wrap dress is very sexy and would look great on a date, but is not appropriate for most workplaces. On a smaller busted woman I still think it would look too sexy for work. That style is meant to play up the breasts and hips/butt. Same thing goes for the super tight pencil skirt with the silver blouse. Maybe it would work if she had it in a bigger size, but I don't think so.

It seems that the people who complain to administration about a woman "dressing too sexy" in the workplace are not, in fact, men, but women. It ultimately comes down to women being jealous that there's a hotter, younger woman getting all the male attention in the office. And they get bitter and catty. It's a whole social hierarchy thing.

FACT: This woman is money

FACT: She knows it

FACT: She plays to her strengths

FACT: Both men and women in the office notice

FACT: Woman feels threatened as she knows she can't measure up, so she has to drag her competition down.

FACT: I just dropped truth nuggets on y'all

Keep smoking
Jeff

It seems that the people who complain to administration about a woman "dressing too sexy" in the workplace are not, in fact, men, but women. It ultimately comes down to women being jealous that there's a hotter, younger woman getting all the male attention in the office. And they get bitter and catty. It's a whole social hierarchy thing.

FACT: This woman is money

FACT: She knows it

FACT: She plays to her strengths

FACT: Both men and women in the office notice

FACT: Woman feels threatened as she knows she can't measure up, so she has to drag her competition down.

FACT: I just dropped truth nuggets on y'all

Keep smoking
Jeff

True.

Do you think this could occur in a hospital?

I don't wear shiny red lipstick to the hospital, either.

I'm far from the only one - I have plenty of med school friends to commiserate with. The real truth is that women's clothes are obnoxious. I basically can't wear button down shirts, because the off the rack ones that fit well in the shoulders and arms won't button over my bust, until I get into the very expensive lines made especially for hourglass figures. A poorly fitting shirt doesn't look sexy, it looks sloppy and cheap. I would love to be able to buy off the rack like my husband (or most men) can.

Silly as it is, one reason I'm glad that I love EM is that the prospect of working in scrub tops is so much more pleasant than having to spend tons of time and money buying my clothes in specialty shops.

And how do I avoid looking fat through the middle? Sometimes I don't. If I need to decide between looking like a sex object and looking like I'm 10 lbs overweight, on hospital time I'll choose to look overweight. If this is honestly a surprise to you, take a second look at half the slightly "fat" women you see, and if they have skinny arms and legs you can bet they're just trying to downplay the bust.

That woman's dress in the original picture was well-fitted, actually. I didn't see visible bra or pantylines, it didn't gape to stretch over her bust, and the waist fell at the right place. It was simply inappropriate for most professional settings.

Truth is, men (and women) have a hard enough time not thinking about sex all the time, and though the "she asked for it" defense is bull****, I hate it when guys stare at my chest more than my face. So I learned how to dress in ways that decrease that, like most women do at the workplace. I want to appear elegant and reliable more than sexy. Any woman who pretends she can't tell what sort of response she'll get to an outfit like that is either emotionally 12 years old or pretending.