too late for rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsbuddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3 who recently decided on rads. Am I too late? seems like most of my classmates were gun-ho rads from day1, a lot have done research, a lot have already formed connections. I got a 242/99 on step 1, 2 non-rads publications, mostly B's on my rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MS3 who recently decided on rads. Am I too late? seems like most of my classmates were gun-ho rads from day1, a lot have done research, a lot have already formed connections. I got a 242/99 on step 1, 2 non-rads publications, mostly B's on my rotations.

Nope, talk to your department and get going.

Nope, you have plenty of time. Have you done a radiology rotation to be certain that it's what you want to do? If so, I would suggest scheduling a research rotation with someone in the department (pick a division chief or the PD) for early in your 4th year. Research isn't necessary, but it certainly helps and makes it easier to get to know an attending to write you a good letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I shadowed a radiologist for a few hours while on some of my other rotations.

How should i set up my 4th year electives? is doing research early more important than doing clinical aways?

If you already have two publications, then I wouldn't go out of my way to do any more research, even if they aren't in radiology. I mean, if you just enjoy research or you're looking to go to Number One Best Radiology Residency Ever, then go for it. But if you're worried about not matching because you don't have radiology research, then don't.

If you already have two publications, then I wouldn't go out of my way to do any more research, even if they aren't in radiology. I mean, if you just enjoy research or you're looking to go to Number One Best Radiology Residency Ever, then go for it. But if you're worried about not matching because you don't have radiology research, then don't.
Well, I mentioned research as a way to strengthen his CV if he's already done a clinical rotation in radiology (personally, I am fairly certain my radiology research/connections/research letter is what got me my residency). However, since the OP has not done a clinical rads rotation yet, then I would start with that at the beginning of 4th year. I would argue that research in rads would help your CV more than a radiology away rotation, but that's just my opinion...unless you're set on one particular program, in which case an away can definitely be beneficial.

Well, I mentioned research as a way to strengthen his CV if he's already done a clinical rotation in radiology (personally, I am fairly certain my radiology research/connections/research letter is what got me my residency). However, since the OP has not done a clinical rads rotation yet, then I would start with that at the beginning of 4th year. I would argue that research in rads would help your CV more than a radiology away rotation, but that's just my opinion...unless you're set on one particular program, in which case an away can definitely be beneficial.

I don't disagree. I just don't think the OP should feel obliged to do more research when he could relax on a, oh...let's say, derm rotation. His numbers and research are more than adequate to match, IMO.

To be specific, I have 4 research experiences from med school, all in a field other than radiology, and 2 publications. I also have 2 undergraduate research experiences in cellular biology

Just wondering if I need to do rads research to show my interest in the field and to show that I'm serious about pursuing a career in rads..

Just wondering if I need to do rads research to show my interest in the field and to show that I'm serious about pursuing a career in rads..

I don't think so. Residency program directors fully understand that there is little exposure to radiology for most medical students. Frankly, April is not very late in the game to settle on radiology, so there's no reason to doubt that your interest is genuine.

Your USMLE scores and research make you competitive enough. Consider why program directors like applicants with research. It's because it makes you more likely to do research as a resident, which reflects favorably on the program and its director. You've already shown a greater than average propensity to do research and publish, so the benefit from additional reserach would be marginal. The only compelling reasons I can see to do research are 1) you enjoy it, 2) you want aim for a super-competitive residency, or 3) not doing research will keep you up at night.

I am planning on starting with a rotation in DR, then doing an IR or peds rotation and research. I was just wondering if I should do radiology research as my 2nd rotation or is it ok to do it at the end once I've done my other radiology rotations? Also is it possible to get involved with research while on a radiology rotation or should I actually take a month off for research? Thanks!