Too late for Stafford Loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrBodacious

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may have been covered in another thread, but is it too late to get Stafford subsidized and un-subsidized loans now? I haven't filled out the FAFSA yet. I'm not going to get any need-based $, but in an effort to be independent (I don't want to fund my entire education with loans from my parents savings) I wanted to take as much loan $ as possible. Can I still do this or will I have to break the news to my parents that I'll need it all from them for this year. Help!

Oh yea, I just got my first acceptance last week so that's why I just started thinking about this.
 
The deadline for Stafford loans for the 2004-2005 school year is a long way off...more than a year actually. Fill out your FAFSA and you'll get some Stafford loans for certain.
 
stupid question -

on the FAFSA, q49..

At the beginning of the 2004-5 school year, will you the student be working on a masters or doctorate program?

medicine is a doctorate, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Chrisobean
stupid question -

on the FAFSA, q49..

At the beginning of the 2004-5 school year, will you the student be working on a masters or doctorate program?

medicine is a doctorate, right?
Yes and so is osteopathic medicine. Congrats on getting into NYCOM by the way. 👍
 
derrr

it was a stupid question... thanks slick 🙂
i was unsure about it when looking at the pre-app worksheet, but then when i got to the real thing it listed an example of the doctorate degrees...
should we petition FAFSA and make them list DO next to MD in that question?!?!?!?!?
😀
 
Originally posted by Chrisobean
should we petition FAFSA and make them list DO next to MD in that question?!?!?!?!?
😀
I just looked at it on the website and for doctorate it doesn't mention DO. I guess we would be considered under etc. :laugh:

I called one of the DO schools and they said it is considered a doctorate degree making us independent.