Too late for Stafford Loans?

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by DrBodacious, Mar 15, 2004.

1. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

This may have been covered in another thread, but is it too late to get Stafford subsidized and un-subsidized loans now? I haven't filled out the FAFSA yet. I'm not going to get any need-based $, but in an effort to be independent (I don't want to fund my entire education with loans from my parents savings) I wanted to take as much loan $ as possible. Can I still do this or will I have to break the news to my parents that I'll need it all from them for this year. Help!

Oh yea, I just got my first acceptance last week so that's why I just started thinking about this.

2. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The deadline for Stafford loans for the 2004-2005 school year is a long way off...more than a year actually. Fill out your FAFSA and you'll get some Stafford loans for certain.

3. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

stupid question -

on the FAFSA, q49..

At the beginning of the 2004-5 school year, will you the student be working on a masters or doctorate program?

medicine is a doctorate, right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes and so is osteopathic medicine. Congrats on getting into NYCOM by the way. :thumbup:

5. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

derrr

it was a stupid question... thanks slick :)
    i was unsure about it when looking at the pre-app worksheet, but then when i got to the real thing it listed an example of the doctorate degrees...
    should we petition FAFSA and make them list DO next to MD in that question?!?!?!?!?
    :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I just looked at it on the website and for doctorate it doesn't mention DO. I guess we would be considered under etc. :laugh:

I called one of the DO schools and they said it is considered a doctorate degree making us independent.