Too Late To Apply For More?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stebb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI folks...

It seems EM is pretty competitive this year and I am not getting as many interview offers as I had anticipated.

I was wondering is it too late to apply for more at this time? Would I be wasting $$$$ in applying for more at this point? I'm already at the point of every additional program i apply for will be at the max $$ point...

thanks for the advise...

-concerned student

Members don't see this ad.

HI folks...

It seems EM is pretty competitive this year and I am not getting as many interview offers as I had anticipated.

I was wondering is it too late to apply for more at this time? Would I be wasting $$$$ in applying for more at this point? I'm already at the point of every additional program i apply for will be at the max $$ point...

thanks for the advise...

-concerned student

If you haven't gotten 10 by today, you might consider it. I don't think it's all over. Be sure you check each program's web site to see the app deadline (not that we always follow it).

oh no. I only have 6.
I was thinking I would receive more interviews once other people started canceling. But maybe programs send out more offers than they anticipate will be accepted...
also, I'm beginning to think that even if I do get some more interviews, they won't improve my chances of matching since I'm already a 'second choice' for those programs.
Yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh no. I only have 6.
I was thinking I would receive more interviews once other people started canceling. But maybe programs send out more offers than they anticipate will be accepted...
also, I'm beginning to think that even if I do get some more interviews, they won't improve my chances of matching since I'm already a 'second choice' for those programs.
Yikes!

What do you guys think about the 'second choice' theory, for lack of a better word?

What do you guys think about the 'second choice' theory, for lack of a better word?

As I said before, at least at our place a number of people have come in from the cold. Don't think I'd offer one even if asked twice if i didn't think there was at least a snowball's chance. We put equal weight on interviews and scores/grades. So sometimes somebody hits one out of the park.

Now any more cliches I can drop in?

As I said before, at least at our place a number of people have come in from the cold. Don't think I'd offer one even if asked twice if i didn't think there was at least a snowball's chance. We put equal weight on interviews and scores/grades. So sometimes somebody hits one out of the park.

Now any more cliches I can drop in?

lol...
thanks, as always, BKN.

I applied to most of my programs on Sept 1st. As of last week, I didn't quite have enough interviews to make me totally comfortable, so i applied to one program on 11/7, got an interview invite on 11/16.

Another program I applied to on 11/13, got an invite on 11/17.

May be the exception rather than the norm, but go ahead and throw a few more apps out there, it can't hurt, and a small price to pay to better ensure you get to do what you want in your career