Chris Kang doesn't think there are too many residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Rawls

Reaction score
ACEP President Christopher S. Kang, MD, disagreed. He doesn't believe there are too many programs. He blamed a "distribution problem" ― too many are concentrated in certain areas, leaving other regions underserved. EM Leaders Call for Stop to New or Expanded Programs

Moving programs from new york to west virginia is not going to convince Dr Caribbean Resident to stay in Appalachia.

It's not even feasible anyway.

The purpose of residency is to train attendings, not to supplement workforce deficits.

You'd think someone accomplished enough to be elected president would understand basic common sense.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Another acep member who got to live through the "golden years" of EM but is now out of touch? Nice

Members don't see this ad :)
On the bright side I received two offers for $300+ locums without negotiating, neither of which I will take. There appears to be no reason to accept much less, these are desirable, West Coast locales.

Reactions: 1 users
Chris Kang doesn’t know his as*h*** from a hole in the ground.

Reactions: 3 users
Chris Kang doesn’t know his as*h*** from a hole in the ground.
Chris Kang is following the money...

And no one wants to be an ER doc in places that don't have ER docs. Everyone is free to move after residency.

Also, I can't wait for 2024 match. Going to be highly entertaining.

Reactions: 1 user
And this is why emergency medicine is doomed. The top leadership is in the pockets of CMGs.

I just hope there are empty spots after next year’s soap. >200 empty spots after soap and I’ll be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How does someone get voted to become president? Who decides this guy represents the interests of an average ER doc?

How does someone get voted to become president? Who decides this guy represents the interests of an average ER doc?

politics and taking turns. Largely these organizations know 3-4 years out who their next few presidents are going to be. Basically the people who loyally participate for a few years get elected to leadership positions and the leadership looks at their makeup and decides how to take turns in ways that rotate geographic representation while attempting to also respect seniority. The 'campaigning' that actually matters occurs multiple years before the sham campaigning the year you are elected - by that time pretty much everyone who matters has already agreed on who they will vote on and they convince their constituency that its time to vote for x person. A lot of it is acknowledging that "we have a rocky mountain president, and the previous one was a pacific coast person. The next one up is a southerner, so we need a new england, mid atlantic, or midwestern guy after that" while looking at who is already in leadership positions throughout the group. Its not that any of them are unqualified; but to prevent infighting and tribalism they make sure presidency moves around in a way where every region gets the crown about as frequently as any other region and there will always be some standout candidate in any given region when its that regions time to have a president (and usually you can identify that person years beforehand and straight up let them know when their turn is coming so its not contentious at all when their turn comes).

Members don't see this ad :)
And this is why emergency medicine is doomed. The top leadership is in the pockets of CMGs.

I just hope there are empty spots after next year’s soap. >200 empty spots after soap and I’ll be happy.

Sounds just like the people in rad onc. There is no problem ever as long as it doesn’t affect them.

YOu have to do as the ACEP mafia demands. Note the individual docs dont vote, it is a representative democracy cause ACEP wants to control what happens. Can not give the power to the people.

If you hate yourself be an ACEP member if you dont enjoy giving someone your money so they can screw you with it then dont be an ACEP member.

I dropped my membership. Dont care thst I have CME money going to waste. Better that the hospital keep it than give it to ACEP. Maybe ill goto a wild med conference or something more fun.

I dropped my membership. Dont care thst I have CME money going to waste. Better that the hospital keep it than give it to ACEP. Maybe ill goto a wild med conference or something more fun.
Cant you buy books? I have never had a real CME fund but i imagine you could buy books and then potentially keep the receipt and return them to amazon? Just a thought..

Article says that all of HCAs spots filled in the match.

But we've seen the list. I'm not gonna fact check it right now, but... no way.

I'm assuming they meant "filled by match day" as I also remember a lot of HCA on the list. I'm sure it was full post SOAP.

Less than 50 were left after the soap. The last 50 will absolutely fill in the post soap period before this July. So essentially 100% filled for all intents and purposes.

Of course the AAEM representative speaks the truth and talks about shutting down horrible programs and stopping the opening of new programs

Then the ACEP doofus “no No everything is fine, we need more programs!”

• Haha
Of course the AAEM representative speaks the truth and talks about shutting down horrible programs and stopping the opening of new programs

Then the ACEP doofus “no No everything is fine, we need more programs!”

Yes, she’s not wrong on that but my eye was drawn to these statements from the AAEM resident:

“EM doctors don't choose the specialty to make money.” Hmmm, yeah…

“She explained that many of the patients EM physicians see are uninsured, very sick, or lack primary care. Those are the people we want to serve." I suppose that 1 out of 3 correct should encourage me.

All sarcasm aside, most (?many) of us would have been happy making a lot of money exclusively helping sick people. We would have done just fine if our leadership could have found a way to “serve“ the uninsured who lack primary care in a manner that didn’t involve cohorting them with the sick people.

Last edited:
Adding residency could work, if they did it the right way, and added ED beds and other resources proportionally. It's the "build it and they will come," philosophy: Increased ED beds by 40%, while also increasing the supply of EM docs, nurses, techs, inpatient beds, etc, all proportionally. Then, as wait times plummet, 40% more patients come in and fills those beds. That way, more patient care is provided to more patients in need, the hospitals make more money no one loses their jobs, and no ones salary plummets.

But they're not doing it that way, the right way. Of course. Why would they? /sarc

Thought experiment: If ER docs quit ACEP en masse and their membership revenue plummets massively, does ACEP go out of business? Or do the CMGs prop them up financially to keep them doing their bidding?

Thought experiment: If ER docs quit ACEP en masse and their membership revenue plummets massively, does ACEP go out of business? Or do the CMGs prop them up financially to keep them doing their bidding?
I doubt CMGs would support them that much. They would go out of business.

Anyone else see highly suspicious salary survey data showing CMGs pay the most relative to hospital employed and SDG? Highly suspicious, very BS.
Didn't see it, but hospital employment positions don't always pay the best. I know several health systems that pay at the 50-60% mark. I don't buy their reasoning, but a lot of the low paying health system use the Starke law as the reason they don't pay so much. WCI forum had a discussion about it a while ago with another specialty.

Didn't see it, but hospital employment positions don't always pay the best. I know several health systems that pay at the 50-60% mark. I don't buy their reasoning, but a lot of the low paying health system use the Starke law as the reason they don't pay so much. WCI forum had a discussion about it a while ago with another specialty.
Yep, that's it exactly. I'm hospital employed. They tell us we are at the 90th percentile for productivity and the 90th percentile for pay, so it's all good and admin doesn't have to to go prison. Every time we negotiate our pay they tell us that according to the Stark law if they pay us to much it's straight to jail. I have friends in other places who have been told they have to eat a 30% pay cut or admin will go to federal prison. When they pointed out there's never been a case of an administrator going to jail for paying ER docs too much, it doesn't change their story.

I'm guessing they talk about it at conferences or in journals, because they all say it. I'd still rather work for them than a CMG, for what it's worth...

Yep, that's it exactly. I'm hospital employed. They tell us we are at the 90th percentile for productivity and the 90th percentile for pay, so it's all good and admin doesn't have to to go prison. Every time we negotiate our pay they tell us that according to the Stark law if they pay us to much it's straight to jail. I have friends in other places who have been told they have to eat a 30% pay cut or admin will go to federal prison. When they pointed out there's never been a case of an administrator going to jail for paying ER docs too much, it doesn't change their story.

I'm guessing they talk about it at conferences or in journals, because they all say it. I'd still rather work for them than a CMG, for what it's worth...

Why do they think you care if admin goes to federal prison?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Yes exactly. Several years ago my hospital hired an “appraiser” to tell them our contract would violate Stark law despite the only actual case of this law ever being used against an EM group was about 20 years ago in Texas when they were paid bonuses for referring to a single cardiology group. We weren’t allowed to hire our own appraiser. Now, “fair market value” is tossed around a lot and our pay has been cut to compare to CMG’s down the road. They’ve turned our group from a stable, high functioning crew to a revolving door practice filled with new grad suckers and docs who lay low hoping someone else will take that resuscitation bay case.

I don't buy their reasoning, but a lot of the low paying health system use the Starke law as the reason they don't pay so much.
Every time we negotiate our pay they tell us that according to the Stark law if they pay us to much it's straight to jail.
Several years ago my hospital hired an “appraiser” to tell them our contract would violate Stark law despite the only actual case of this law ever being used against an EM group was about 20 years ago in Texas when they were paid bonuses for referring to a single cardiology group.
How is the Stark law applicable to the specific compensation level of hospital employed EP positions?

If they pay too much, the admins claim it can be used as an influence to admit more patients. It really is a long stretch.
Especially given hospitals want paying surgical admits and not medical admits. You can’t just easily find lots of extra people to have surgeons operate on from the waiting room pool of patients.

I’m surprised the guy can even talk with all the deepthroating he is doing for CMGs.

• Haha
Dr. Kang believes we should be training emergency physicians in BFE?

i suppose i shouldn't be surprised as the acgme approves programs at level iii trauma centers.

• Wow