Too Late To Apply For Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madiso30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the possibly already answered question. I searched around but only found stuff on the dentistry side of things.

I just finished my first year of school and was wondering if its still too late to apply for a 4 year (3 if that's what I can get) scholarship. This isnt a rash decision I'm coming to. I've been thinking and researching this as much as a I can for 4 years. I just wasn't sure what decision to make and I was afraid to pull the trigger. But I had long conversations with my family and SO and I am 100% on one side of the fence.

If HPSP is out of the question I guess FAP will be the route for me.

Preferred branch is Navy if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on finishing your first year.

You can still apply and get a three year scholarship. I think the four year option is out, because you only have three years left of school. As far as I know, there is no retroactive scholarship for years completed. HPSP scholarships are given as 4 year, 3 year or 2 year options. There are limitations to how many of these scholarhips are given out each year.

FAP is available afterwards, that is accurate.

Congratulations on finishing your first year.

You can still apply and get a three year scholarship. I think the four year option is out, because you only have three years left of school. As far as I know, there is no retroactive scholarship for years completed. HPSP scholarships are given as 4 year, 3 year or 2 year options. There are limitations to how many of these scholarhips are given out each year.

FAP is available afterwards, that is accurate.
Thanks. This is what I figured. Is there any way of getting that first year covered later on when I'm in?

Not traditionally. There are various loan repayment options (if you took out a loan) that may still be available. But a direct scholarship to repay off a loan in the military? Not that I know off.

Options like PSLF after 10 years would eliminate them. Other options to use bonuses for time in service, can be used.

Reactions: 1 user