Too late to apply to fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year peds resident and think that I've finally decided upon GI for a fellowship. The problem is, I haven't done anything to prepare to start applying, like getting letters of recommendations and writing a personal statement. From what I can tell online, programs start accepting applications in September. If I tried to put together my application now, would I be at a great disadvantage? Am I better off sitting this cycle out and applying next year (which would mean that I would need to find a 1 year position for after residency)?

Any advice is appeciated!

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd year peds resident and think that I've finally decided upon GI for a fellowship. The problem is, I haven't done anything to prepare to start applying, like getting letters of recommendations and writing a personal statement. From what I can tell online, programs start accepting applications in September. If I tried to put together my application now, would I be at a great disadvantage? Am I better off sitting this cycle out and applying next year (which would mean that I would need to find a 1 year position for after residency)?

Any advice is appeciated!

Thanks!!!
Peds GI is a match and the application doesn't open until Jan. :) At least, for those programs participating in the Match.

There are some who don't participate and may be accepting apps already (I know UT Houston is doing this). Make sure the dates you have are from updated websites. I noticed a few programs haven't updated their websites in a couple of years.

Plenty of time! :)

Thanks for your reply! I noticed that a lot of programs haven't updated their websites in years. I also saw that the match doesn't start for awhile. I just didn't know if applying for fellowships is like applying for residency where it's better to apply early in terms of getting interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! I noticed that a lot of programs haven't updated their websites in years. I also saw that the match doesn't start for awhile. I just didn't know if applying for fellowships is like applying for residency where it's better to apply early in terms of getting interviews.
Fortunately for the match participating programs, you can't fill out ERAS until Dec/Jan. :) I'm applying in GI, too.

Time to get your homework done! :)

The groundwork for fellowship application should ideally start early in residency, but that doesn't mean it is too late. If you have GI attendings in mind who can write you strong letters then you can be a viable candidate. Meet with your hospital's GI fellowship program director and ask for advice - not on your chances of getting in to the program specifically but on the whole.

For me, the hardest part has always been writing the personal statement because I want it to be heartfelt, sincere, and as close a reflection of my personality, goals, ideology, etc. and not a hokey piece of writing that had to be done as an application requirement.

If ERAS doesn't open for a while then maybe you have time to get all this together. If not weigh your options - if you apply and don't get selected you will most likely learn from the experience and be a stronger candidate in the next cycle. If you decide to sit this one out, a year as a hospitalist may not be the worst thing - better salary, better schedule
and many programs appreciate fellow candidates who have experience taking care of kids as an attending vs being fresh out of residency.

Good luck with the whole process.

That is cool, TR. I just finished up my GI rotation and while I really like the GI physiology, I'm easily frustrated by teenagers with chronic abdominal pain.

I'm finding that I like almost everything, but not enough to want to do only that. I still think I'll end up in the ER eventually...you get to see a little of everything with a mix of not-sick-at-all and sick-like-whoa kids, and procedures. All good things in my book.

That is cool, TR. I just finished up my GI rotation and while I really like the GI physiology, I'm easily frustrated by teenagers with chronic abdominal pain.

I'm finding that I like almost everything, but not enough to want to do only that. I still think I'll end up in the ER eventually...you get to see a little of everything with a mix of not-sick-at-all and sick-like-whoa kids, and procedures. All good things in my book.
I'm not a huge fan of the adolescent chronic abdominal pain patients either, but have discovered they are only a small part of the field and are rarely GI primaries in the hospital.

That's cool that you're leaning towards ER. Lots of people in my program like ER as well. Seems like a good field with a good lifestyle. I get too easily annoyed with impatient people who have no business being in the ER in the middle of the night.

Hi all, I am applying for NICU fellowship and a fellow resident in my class is applying for GI. ERAS has been open since July 1st. If I remember correctly GI is a December cycle like NICU. The first day that you can start to apply to programs is November 15th. Programs can start to download application materials December 1st. For NICU, at least I have heard that programs don't start giving interviews til after New Year's. Here is the website with the timeline, http://www.aamc.org/students/erasfellow/timeline/start.htm I think the above poster has plenty of time to get their application together.

Lovelyaries