too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrreagan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i know anesthesiology is traditionally uncompetitive.

I went into the interview season planning on IM.

However, as i did more and more categorical IM interviews, I realized IM wasn't for me.

I'd like a profession where I can sit down and control the times and terms of employment somewhat.

Is Anesthesia a good fit for me?

Is it too late to mount an application? Should I just scramble?

Members don't see this ad.

There is much more to anesthesiology than what you see from the outside. It may be true that you won't like IM, but believing you will enjoy the aspects of anesthesiology that you cited in no way guarantees you will enjoy a career in anesthesiology. The worst (most miserable) anesthesiology residents I have met are those who chose it mainly because they didn't like the specialty they had originally matched in (or didn't match in). You owe it to yourself and the programs to which you apply to do at least a month rotation at a good anesthesiology program so you will know what you're getting into. At a recent interview I met a guy who was applying for anesthesia residency after completing 1 1/2 years of IM. Everything that came out of his mouth revealed his reasons for coming to anesthesia had more to do with his misery in IM than a love for anesthesia. I really wouldn't want to end up at a program that matched this guy.

Having said all this, it really is too late to apply to anesthesiology programs for 2005. Most are finishing up interviews about now. Maybe you could scramble into an unfilled program after the match. During your first year of IM you could arrange to do an elective in anesthesiology and then decide whether to continue in IM or leave for anesthesiology.

Very late.

I doubt anyone would review your file unless you happen to be a superstar and you have supporters willing to contact various departments' program directors.

As was stated above, you're better off doing a year of medicine and reapplying. Scrambling is always an option but the places that have spots open are probably the least desirable locales/programs in the nation.

Members don't see this ad :)
you could always call a couple PD's in your home town, or elsewhere depending on your level of desired discretion, and ask what they recommend.

Let's say I re-apply in my intern year.

Will I be applying for a spot in 2005 as a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident, or will I be applying for a 2006 spot?

most likely 2006 unless there happens to be a spot open somewhere for 2005 (fairly unlikely these days, but possible)

You never know. People leave programs for a variety of reasons (see my post on my own program). There will be spots available for PGY-2 positions and if you impress a program enough, they have been known to create one where it may not have existed before (off cycle, etc.).

Don't listen to these guys. It's never too late for anything. You'll meet people who are in or have finished other residencies and even people who have practiced for several years and then go into anesthesia. In my opinion, you are early. Nice work.

Look at the unmatched programs for 2003. Call those programs up. Try and scramble....if you don't like what's left in the scramble, then reapply during your internship. It will be no problem. Why do I say no problem? I have friends who are surgery interns now interviewing for PGY-2 ortho and urology spots. Those are much more competitive spots and they're doing it.

Good luck and remember you can always change your mind.