Too late to do Postbac during Glide year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FreeSpiritTraveler

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, thank you so much for this network. I have found help so many times on these forums so I want to say thanks! And this is my first time posting so please bear with me.

I am hoping to apply next year in Summer 2015 to hopefully start medical school in the fall of 2016. I recently just graduated from college with a B.S. in Biology (sGPA: 3.5, cGPA: 3.65). I am still studying for my MCAT but I am hoping to do well to make up for my GPA. I also have 2 W's on my transcript which is where my major worry comes in. I had spread myself too thin in undergrad.

I feel like I need to a postbac program or postgraduate science classes to show my dedication and motivation to pursue medicine.

Here are my questions:
1. Would it be beneficial to start a postbac program while I send my applications next summer (aka postbac during glide year)?
2. Would it be MORE beneficial to do a DIY postbac by taking graduate science courses at a state university in the spring even though I wouldn't be earning a degree/certificate? But, at least these classes would be in the application.
3. How much does doing well on the MCAT weigh in on a bad GPA?
4. Or would having international medical experience be just as helpful as trying to improve my GPA? I was thinking of spending a couple months abroad helping some doctors that I am acquainted with.

Thank you for any help/advice!!
 
Thank you for your help! I'm just worried about my sGPA since I have 2 W's.....

2 Ws aren't nearly as big of a deal as SDN makes it out to be sometimes. You don't have a bad GPA and if you do well on the MCAT then you honestly don't have to take anymore classes unless you want to. Don't do a formal postbacc and if you want to, just take a few classes to boost up your GPA during your glide year. But scoring a 30+, you should be fine for applying.
 
2 Ws aren't nearly as big of a deal as SDN makes it out to be sometimes. You don't have a bad GPA and if you do well on the MCAT then you honestly don't have to take anymore classes unless you want to. Don't do a formal postbacc and if you want to, just take a few classes to boost up your GPA during your glide year. But scoring a 30+, you should be fine for applying.
+1

It's not a big deal if all your other ducks are in a row. The nut jobs in pre-allo make it seem a bigger deal then it should be