Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimboo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to email the PD of a program to let him/her know that you're interested in their program? I never sent this place a thank you letter, and have realized that I am going to rank it highly.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that my program (and probably many others) are ranking this week. It certainly can't hurt to send them a note, though, just in case they haven't ranked yet. You should do it- when we rank, if we have to distinguish between two candidates of equal caliber, we do check to see if they wrote thank you notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose it depends on the program....but I've been doing all of my communication via email.

Like I said in a previous post, handwritten notes are much better than email. They show forethought and effort. It's also a big pain in the butt for program directors to have to print out the hundreds of emails that they get. That being said, and email is better than nothing.

Unless you have absolutely no intention of ranking a program, there is NO reason not to have sent a thank you letter. Even if you don't plan to rank a program, it is still polite to thank them for their time.