Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathology_DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of medical school (DO). I was fortunate enough to maintain Top 10% throughout the year, but did not do any research and will not be doing any research this summer. My initial interest after shadowing this summer is: PATHOLOGY! I love the detail oriented nature of the field. Is it too late to create a CV that would make me competitive for a top program? I know the top programs are very research oriented and all I have done is achieve good marks in year 1. At a DO program we do not have much access to pathology/pathology based research. What are your suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't necessarily need to do research in order to be competetive. Unfortunately for us (I'm also a DO) we have to live with the fact that a few of the top programs just arn't going to consider taking us regardless of qualifications, but that definately does not apply to all. My suggestion is to do well your second year, take both comlex and usmle and crush them (much more important than doing research). Then in your third year do at least one elective rotation in pathology if you can, but regardless try and get some cases studies to publish with your attendings. That will help make up for lack of research. Other than that do volunteering and keep getting good grades, but boards is really where you will separate yourself if you do well.

Agreed with above but I wouldnt necessarily say that just because you are a DO that top programs would ignore you. I am a DO who interviewed at several top programs (Mayo, UPenn, Iowa, WashU, Emory etc.) and landed in a top program for pathology. I think you should honestly do a lot of things geared towards your interest in pathology in med school if you can. I basically went to several autopsy cases with the ME in my area and did an elective in Forensics my 3rd yr. 4th year I did several aways. I think what programs are looking for is a genuine interest in pathology (as well as other outside interests to get a well rounded applicant)and you can definitely express that in other ways other than research. I tried to do research in med school and it barely took off the ground (got no papers or abstracts in med school but had 2 from undergrad). I agree though, just do your best on boards and DEFINITELY take both USMLE and COMLEX because some programs wont look at your application without USMLE. PM me if you have any more questions as you go along in the process!